Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joer

Reaction score
I just recently bought a Schecter KM-7 mk-ii from an online store.

It's very comfortable and looks pretty, however I'm noticing small things on the guitar that I think isn't supposed to be there.

1. There's a gap between the nut and the headstock. It's big enough to slide a creditcard in, so it's kind of tilting down

2. Extreme fretbuzz on lower strings

3. Small unnatural indent in the fretboard on the 6th fret

4. Wood crack near the "ultra reach" part of the neck

I might be wrong but it seems like I got unlucky with mine. (Purchased the guitar for 1366 € so I was expecting it to be "flawless")

Do any of you guys with the KM-7 mk-ii have closeups of the nut and stuff? So I can compare if it's supposed to be like that.

Thanks!

Mraz

Reaction score

It's very comfortable and looks pretty, however I'm noticing small things on the guitar that I think isn't supposed to be there.

1. There's a gap between the nut and the headstock. It's big enough to slide a creditcard in, so it's kind of tilting down

I might be wrong but it seems like I got unlucky with mine. (Purchased the guitar for 1366 € so I was expecting it to be "flawless")

Do any of you guys with the KM-7 mk-ii have closeups of the nut and stuff? So I can compare if it's supposed to be like that.

Thanks!

1.) Weird..

2.) Have you tried playing with the action, checked the string height, are the frets leveled?

3.) Weird.. Photo?

4.) Bad...

1366€ SHOULD be flawless.. Just return it.. The nut thing is weird and if it does NOT affect the tuning stability or anything else, ok, you can look over that.. But the wood crack.. .... THAT! That's a return reason in my opinion! Return it ASAP!

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score

Thanks!

Send it back. This thread is full of quality complaints but yours is pretty bad. You can't expect it to be flawless just because of a (IMO) inflated price.

erickthered

Reaction score
Just got my MKII a couple of weeks ago. So far so good with electronics and excellent shape (edit). Luckily there's a dealer here in Costa Rica that brings them for a good price, so I paid $1250 which is pretty acceptable considering I didn't have to pay any extra shipping/taxes.

It's really a beaut

km7.jpg
Save
Save

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
Just got my MKII a couple of weeks ago. So far so good with electronics and excellent shape (edit). Luckily there's a dealer here in Costa Rica that brings them for a good price, so I paid $1250 which is pretty acceptable considering I didn't have to pay any extra shipping/taxes.

It's really a beaut

km7.jpg
Save
Save

Nice! Are those Dunlop strap locks? If so how do they hold up? I have a dimarzio cliplock on mine and it is not very comfortable so im thinking of changing.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Did anything else change on the Mk-II other than headstock and top carve?

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score

It's really a beaut

looks fantastic!

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
It's an actual neck-thru design with maple and wenge strips. EB compensated nut.

Thx! That does sound like a nice upgrade on paper but has anyone compared MKI to MKII? I'm GASing hard for a lambo orange one. Is black pearl the only new color for MKIIs this year?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Did anything else change on the Mk-II other than headstock and top carve?

Neck-Thru with wings instead of set-neck and body
5 piece Maple/Wenge neck instead of 3 piece maple
Flame maple Veneer Instead of top(Unless the Mk1 was a veneer)
Open pickups instead of Covered
Maple binding instead of black
Different inlay design
No binding on headstock or body
Centre logo on headstock instead of on the top
Hipshot 0 ring volume knob
Ernie Ball Compensated Nut instead of regular nut
Full black switch
Carbon Fibre back plate
Hot Rod Truss rod

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
Thx! That does sound like a nice upgrade on paper but has anyone compared MKI to MKII? I'm GASing hard for a lambo orange one. Is black pearl the only new color for MKIIs this year?

I owned both, I like the body carve on the MkII better for when I stand up and play. If you want the Lambo Orange one though, you aren't missing much. Go for the one that makes you want to play more, don't stress out about small specs, they're both going to be great guitars :)

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Could someone tell me what brand pot is used in the KM-7s or more importantly, what's the diameter of the hole required? I'm going to swap pots on one and need to be prepared. Thx!

EDIT: Got an answer from Schecter:
"Thanks for the inquiry. I’ve attached a link to the pot you’ll need. Get the 500k short shaft push/pull pot.
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Potentiometers/Alpha_Push-pull_Pots.html"

Reverend Chug

But It's A Dry Chug
Reaction score
I got a Schecter KM7 new from Sweetwater about 6 months ago, and just started having some issues with the switch. The neck pup would cut out when I switched to it, unless I strummed it hard and then it would come back on.

I contacted Sweetwater and since it was under warranty they said I could ship it back. When I told them I didn't want to ship it, or replace it with another one (I really, really like this particular one.) They said I could take it to somewhere local and they would pay for the repair. So, I went to a local shop (Guitar Czar in UT) the dude grabbed a magnifying glass and a bright flashlight and looked at the switch. Turns out there was a single small piece of wire that was touching the contacts of the switch that was causing the issue. He removed that little piece and all was fixed!

So, just as an FYI, if you have any issues like this you may not have to automatically swap out the switch. It could be something as small as this!

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
I got a Schecter KM7 new from Sweetwater about 6 months ago, and just started having some issues with the switch. The neck pup would cut out when I switched to it, unless I strummed it hard and then it would come back on.

I contacted Sweetwater and since it was under warranty they said I could ship it back. When I told them I didn't want to ship it, or replace it with another one (I really, really like this particular one.) They said I could take it to somewhere local and they would pay for the repair. So, I went to a local shop (Guitar Czar in UT) the dude grabbed a magnifying glass and a bright flashlight and looked at the switch. Turns out there was a single small piece of wire that was touching the contacts of the switch that was causing the issue. He removed that little piece and all was fixed!

So, just as an FYI, if you have any issues like this you may not have to automatically swap out the switch. It could be something as small as this!

You can replace the pot, switch and jack in this guitar in 15-20 minutes tops. And replace the components with stuff that is a million times better quality. More people opt for the easy route and change everything, and don't waste time with the hassle of going through schecter, a guitar tech, etc.

')