Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend Chug

But It's A Dry Chug
Reaction score
You can replace the pot, switch and jack in this guitar in 15-20 minutes tops. And replace the components with stuff that is a million times better quality. More people opt for the easy route and change everything, and don't waste time with the hassle of going through schecter, a guitar tech, etc.

I hear you man, but since my stroke, I am not able to do stuff like that...so this was a good situation for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trebal

Reaction score
I love this guitar! I think that Schecter could made more finish for the MK-II in 6 string.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
finally picked up one of these.. white flame top one, gonna probably get an Evertune installed on it and use it as a backup to my Aristides. Schecter has been killing it lately, love my Loomis 7 but gonna sell that to get the KM7 as I don't dig floyds anymore.

No better guitar for the price than a used KM7 or JL7 imo.

drkranio

Reaction score
Hello everyone, today what model you buy or recommend? mk1 or mk2?

Thanks a lot

trebal

Reaction score
Hello everyone, today what model you buy or recommend? mk1 or mk2?

Thanks a lot

I recomend you the mk2, because I have the mk1 and I have some problems with the tunning.

You have problems with the tunning? I'm thinking change the tuners.

severe

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had the km-7 now for over three Years. It is the best guitar I've ever owned, period. I really have to thank Keith for giving us such a beast among all the overpriced rubbish you find on the market (Even when you bought it in EU which is not that cheap...).

The frets are still in shape but start to feel a bit hackly.... Does anybody know how to give them a repolish?

Now I've ordered the mkII.:

It looks great but I'd rather have a natural ash than such thin veneer (hope the finish will stand the sands of time). Would also make the guitar even more affordable.

Playability is the best I have had (since the first version). The fretwork is perfect no buzz at low action at all. Frets have a very good polish. Solo sound is great.

The only complaint I have so far is that the uncovered Nazgul 7 is a lot more prone to feedback than the old covered one. I could just mute the strings with my hand leave the vol pot open at high gain and the gate would shut off.
With the mk2 I get a loud wooooop and have to shut the volume. Looks like the uncovered version is not potted at all. Pitty! Maybe I'll get a covered one as a replacement.

And as always the volume pot is crap as hell (bad contact at full volume). But I'm used to that. Looks like a Schecter feature to build in crappy pots and annoy customers to make them replace it (I always go for dimarzio push pull which is great). At least the switch seems a lot better than the old one.

btw, I recommend to put very little gun oil at the nut to get real great tuning stability.

Regards,

Marco

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had the km-7 now for over three Years. It is the best guitar I've ever owned, period. I really have to thank Keith for giving us such a beast among all the overpriced rubbish you find on the market (Even when you bought it in EU which is not that cheap...).

The frets are still in shape but start to feel a bit hackly.... Does anybody know how to give them a repolish?

Now I've ordered the mkII.:

It looks great but I'd rather have a natural ash than such thin veneer (hope the finish will stand the sands of time). Would also make the guitar even more affordable.

Playability is the best I have had (since the first version). The fretwork is perfect no buzz at low action at all. Frets have a very good polish. Solo sound is great.

The only complaint I have so far is that the uncovered Nazgul 7 is a lot more prone to feedback than the old covered one. I could just mute the strings with my hand leave the vol pot open at high gain and the gate would shut off.
With the mk2 I get a loud wooooop and have to shut the volume. Looks like the uncovered version is not potted at all. Pitty! Maybe I'll get a covered one as a replacement.

And as always the volume pot is crap as hell (bad contact at full volume). But I'm used to that. Looks like a Schecter feature to build in crappy pots and annoy customers to make them replace it (I always go for dimarzio push pull which is great). At least the switch seems a lot better than the old one.

btw, I recommend to put very little gun oil at the nut to get real great tuning stability.

Regards,

Marco

Hey Marco, I have a mk I and II and do not notice much difference in terms of noise. I am no expert but it might be worth checking the wiring before buying a new pickup.

As for cleaning the frets i currently use the dadarrio fret polishing system which works pretty well. http://daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=529&productname=Fret_Polishing_System&sid=b7f76cf1-15b1-4e58-b985-e7a65bc4a7eb

The time honoured method is to use 000 grit steel wool but i hear good things about micro mesh pads which are less messy to work with.

severe

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the fret polish hint. Will try that out!

As for the humm issue:

Yesterday I compared both guitars on high volume. I noticed a loud low feedback on the mk2 while muting the strings (mk1 was silent). Then I pressed the pickup a few times deep into the cavity. After that the feedback was completely gone.... Weird....

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the fret polish hint. Will try that out!

As for the humm issue:

Yesterday I compared both guitars on high volume. I noticed a loud low feedback on the mk2 while muting the strings (mk1 was silent). Then I pressed the pickup a few times deep into the cavity. After that the feedback was completely gone.... Weird....

I have an MKI. The electronics were absolutely terrible from the factory. I recommend gutting the guitar 100% and installing a switchcraft pot, toggle and jack, and putting fresh wires. Super easy to do, and will make the instrument sound super clean and sick.

trebal

Reaction score
I have an MKI. The electronics were absolutely terrible from the factory. I recommend gutting the guitar 100% and installing a switchcraft pot, toggle and jack, and putting fresh wires. Super easy to do, and will make the instrument sound super clean and sick.

+1

I also recommend changing all the electronics (pot and toggle)

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score

Same here

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
Picked one up over the winter but never got much chance to mess with it until now. Restrung it and was working on the setup... damn truss rod vibrates and rattles like crazy when I tune it to drop G which is the whole purpose of my purchase. Confirmed it is rattling by tapping the back of the neck with a rubber mallet.

No clue what I can do to fix it or if I even can... anyone got any ideas? Otherwise the only way I can enjoy it is to keep it in either Drop A which has brutal tension with this scale, or just A which doesn't give me what I was after

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
If you tighten the truss rod and it keeps buzzing, it's not likely to be the cause. Look for a loose tuner nut, or more likely, a string with separated winds.

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
I can't see it being a string since it does it when tapped with a mallet since I'm muting the strings when I do. Tightening the truss rod either direction doesn't seem to be fixing it, but it's not a tuner nut either. I'm kind of at a loss.

Probably sending it back to Sweetwater to see what they can do with it or get my money back if they can't fix it.

Zado

Reaction score
mmm.jpg

NosralTserrof

Reaction score
oh.

sweet.

Jesus.

EDIT: Wouldn't it be cool if that was like a purple bust or some sort? Idk, I'm in a purple guitars kinda phase ATM

')