Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but that KMII in the pictures looks fine to me. Buncha cork sniffers around here. Crank that bad boy up, rip some dark tunage and stop worrying about sissy crap man. That guitar is LOADED with features for the price its offered at. Keith can design one mean guitar.

Yeah that last KMII looks fine to me as well... how is there a dent between the pickup and the fingerboard??? like in what space... and how is it in anyway an issue??

The truss rod access I agree is the cleanest lines or sanded to a perfectly round smooth edge... but um besides that really? Wipe your fret board down and give it hell.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JesperX

Reaction score
Just got the 2018 MKII today. The construction is top notch! The KM Fluence pickups have an attack and clarity unlike anything I’ve heard before. While I do like the Nazgul that I installed in my PRS, it doesn’t come close to the punch the Fishman delivers.

Any thoughts on the voicing differences in the low/mid/highs between the Merrow Fluence bridge and the Nazgul? I was about ready to pull the trigger on a 7 string Naz/Sent set until I saw these announced.

Flick

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the voicing differences in the low/mid/highs between the Merrow Fluence bridge and the Nazgul? I was about ready to pull the trigger on a 7 string Naz/Sent set until I saw these announced.

The lows are very tight on both of the pickups. The Fishmans are more aggressive in the low-Mids. The highs also seem smoother on the Fishmans. Another thing I’ve noticed is that I’ve been able to use more gain with the Fishmans and retain a lot more clarity. Keep in mind that I’ve only tried the Nazgul on a 25 in scale PRS. The 26.5 scale on the KM really tightens things up as well. I’d go for the 2018 model so you don’t have a routing nightmare should you decide to upgrade from the Nazgul/Sentient on the previous model.

Flick

Reaction score
5DCEC52D-F84E-4434-9F84-F0E7733E8422.jpeg

JesperX

Reaction score
The lows are very tight on both of the pickups. The Fishmans are more aggressive in the low-Mids. The highs also seem smoother on the Fishmans. Another thing I’ve noticed is that I’ve been able to use more gain with the Fishmans and retain a lot more clarity. Keep in mind that I’ve only tried the Nazgul on a 25 in scale PRS. The 26.5 scale on the KM really tightens things up as well. I’d go for the 2018 model so you don’t have a routing nightmare should you decide to upgrade from the Nazgul/Sentient on the previous model.

Awesome dude, thanks for the info. I'm actually going to throw the Merrow set into my Carvin DC7X which has a 27" scale length, I think they'll fit anyway.

That axe looks completely killer!

Masoo2

Reaction score
Just wondering, what is the control setup on the new MKIIs? There's only a 3 way and a push/pull where as the MKIII has a 3 way, push pull, and another 3 way iirc

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Just wondering, what is the control setup on the new MKIIs? There's only a 3 way and a push/pull where as the MKIII has a 3 way, push pull, and another 3 way iirc

I think I read that the MKIIs won't have the coil tap. The MKIIIs will have both the voicing control and coil tap.

Also, yeah, this explains why it's taking me so long to recieve my Fishmans. :lol: Probably loading up all the MKII's and MKIII's with them.

Flick

Reaction score
I think I read that the MKIIs won't have the coil tap. The MKIIIs will have both the voicing control and coil tap.

Also, yeah, this explains why it's taking me so long to recieve my Fishmans. :lol: Probably loading up all the MKII's and MKIII's with them.

That’s right. The MKII FM bridge has two voicings. There is a more passive feel with the volume knob pushed in. A little more aggressive/boosted with the knob pulled. The Neck pickup definitely seems to be a cool tap as it has that single coil chime with the volume switch pulled. With the knob pushed in, it sounds very fat but somehow tight.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
In my experience with the classic neck, that's V1 of the classics. It's the PAF sound. Very bright and scooped. V2 has this kinda flat, even sound to it. The more solo shreddy sound.

Oddly it sounds like your guitar is in V1 when the volume is pulled, and V2 when it'a pushed.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
That’s right. The MKII FM bridge has two voicings. There is a more passive feel with the volume knob pushed in. A little more aggressive/boosted with the knob pulled. The Neck pickup definitely seems to be a cool tap as it has that single coil chime with the volume switch pulled. With the knob pushed in, it sounds very fat but somehow tight.
So what voicing is the middle position of the three way?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So what voicing is the middle position of the three way?

The 3-way is the pickup toggle. The voicing is the push-pull pot.

Also, on the MK3, it's actually a 3-way mini toggle according to the website. So you have access to voice 1, voice 2, and voice 3 which is the single coil mode.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
The 3-way is the pickup toggle. The voicing is the push-pull pot.

Also, on the MK3, it's actually a 3-way mini toggle according to the website. So you have access to voice 1, voice 2, and voice 3 which is the single coil mode.
Right... but what happens when it it's set to the middle position? Does it use both pickups with both of their voicing together?

cip 123

Reaction score
Right... but what happens when it it's set to the middle position? Does it use both pickups with both of their voicing together?
Yes. Just think it's a regular set of pickups with a 3 way, but two voicing. So 3 sounds pull the pot up and another 3 sounds.

You can if you wish with the fishmans change this to coil split. Or install another switch to engage the coil split.

')