Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
What's up everyone

I just posted my signed and number km-7 on reverb.com if anyone's interested. This one's #9 of 20

The headstock color has faded some due to me being dumb and having it on my guitar rack where sunlight shined on the headstock certain parts of the day. Aside from that it's in great condition.

https://reverb.com/item/18863718-signed-schecter-km-7-keith-merrow-signature-7-string-tra

Might wanna check out the rules man. Posting ads for stuff you're selling isn't allowed in normal discussion threads. The mods will getcha.

Just wanted to make sure you're aware of why the above post might get removed shortly. lol

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I got my km7 today.

I'm pretty sure it's brand new .the case still has a tag on it. It's a very unassuming guitar but you can tell it means business.

The neck is incredible. Definitely not a wizard, a smidge thicker and a different shape. It plays fast and it feels great in my hand. I was worried about the neck because I played a hellraiser when they came out and the neck felt thicker than my Les Paul. It actually turned me off from schecter for a long time.

My amps tubes took a shit and went microphonic, but I could still play it for awhile. Definitely a great sound coming from these pickups. My favorite 7 set has been the nazgul/sentient, but these are something else. The voicing options just add another layer that I'm going to take a long time figuring out what I like best.

So the million dollar question. How bad is it? I can find zero imperfections on this guitar. Well, I can find a very small imperfections on the binding around 22-24. It just looks sloppier there, but then I'm splitting hairs. My wife hates the color, I like it.

One improvement I could think of is a glossier finish might've elevated this guitar a bit.

Setup is decent, but gonna wait 24 hours to really mess with it.

1pnYSRQ.jpg

14xAfft.jpg

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Follow up post

Had this thing for a few days. Did a full setup (well... I might adjust the relief once more) and this thing slays.

I'm sorry for the guys that got lemons. This guitar is incredible.

Two imperfections I've found. The two toggle switches have a washer under them .They both have like.. a small metal tab sticking up that's very sharp. Almost like they were cut wrong.

Sending it back!!!!

Just kidding. I'll eventually replace them or lose a finger.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Follow up post

Had this thing for a few days. Did a full setup (well... I might adjust the relief once more) and this thing slays.

I'm sorry for the guys that got lemons. This guitar is incredible.

Two imperfections I've found. The two toggle switches have a washer under them .They both have like.. a small metal tab sticking up that's very sharp. Almost like they were cut wrong.

Sending it back!!!!

Just kidding. I'll eventually replace them or lose a finger.

Mine had that tab too on all 3. Just the way they were made or assembled apparently.

Indigo Shinigami

Said the p-word once
Reaction score
I just thought the tabs were essentially like thumb bleeds that some Gibsons have near the knobs. But as far as I'm aware, unlike the thumb bleeds, these are on washers that you can rotate out of the way after loosening it a bit, or just replace with regular ones from your hardware store of choice.

dc_player

Reaction score
The tabs are actually meant to face inwards and be inserted into a hole to anchor the switch to prevent rotation. On guitars, the tabs don't really have any applicability. They are really more for mounting on a control panel or something similar. I don't think I've ever seen where one was mounted with the tab in a hole.

NotQuiteWes

Reaction score
I was highly curious of picking up a MK-III. Hearing all the issues and seeing a lot of imperfect models from Sweetwater, I knew it'd be unlikely to get one I'd be happy with. So I just ordered a MK-III which seems more consistent by now. It had some minor issues but I don't regret the purchase now that the price has faded from credit card.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
The tabs are actually meant to face inwards and be inserted into a hole to anchor the switch to prevent rotation. On guitars, the tabs don't really have any applicability. They are really more for mounting on a control panel or something similar. I don't think I've ever seen where one was mounted with the tab in a hole.
Wonder what the point of using them is then. Seems a regular washer would work and be less deadly

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I was highly curious of picking up a MK-III. Hearing all the issues and seeing a lot of imperfect models from Sweetwater, I knew it'd be unlikely to get one I'd be happy with. So I just ordered a MK-III which seems more consistent by now. It had some minor issues but I don't regret the purchase now that the price has faded from credit card.

Yeah, my black MK-II is my favorite guitar honestly which is slightly disappointing considering how much I've paid for other guitars and how many other guitars I have bought period. That particular one I feel so at home on.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
What minor issues, if you don't mind me asking?

NotQuiteWes

Reaction score
What minor issues, if you don't mind me asking?
The binding is slightly off around the nut, like the maple binding is slightly wider at the nut. And one of the string ferrules on the back isn't all the way pushed in.

The string ferrule can be pushed in, I'm sure. I had to get over the binding, which took about a week purely because it's cosmetic and I couldn't stop looking at it. Now I don't care cause after it got set up it plays fantastic and the Schecter locking tuners hold well. Still have to tweak the setup to my preference.

What gauge strings are you guys using? I keep it in B, and have been using 10-64.

dc_player

Reaction score
Wonder what the point of using them is then. Seems a regular washer would work and be less deadly
The tabbed washers as well as the mounting nuts and lock washers come already screwed on the mini toggles when purchased from the suppliers. So I guess most guitar manufacturers just use the mounting hardware that comes with the switches, although I have a Carvin DC127 with two mini toggles for the coil splitters and Carvin did use flat washers for those. I agree the flat washer is much better.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
The binding is slightly off around the nut, like the maple binding is slightly wider at the nut. And one of the string ferrules on the back isn't all the way pushed in.

The string ferrule can be pushed in, I'm sure. I had to get over the binding, which took about a week purely because it's cosmetic and I couldn't stop looking at it. Now I don't care cause after it got set up it plays fantastic and the Schecter locking tuners hold well. Still have to tweak the setup to my preference.

What gauge strings are you guys using? I keep it in B, and have been using 10-64.

10-62 but I might go with a heavier 7th since I'm in Drop A.

I also noticed some Merrow tabs are in drop Bb... which is half a step up? Confused by that

The tabbed washers as well as the mounting nuts and lock washers come already screwed on the mini toggles when purchased from the suppliers. So I guess most guitar manufacturers just use the mounting hardware that comes with the switches, although I have a Carvin DC127 with two mini toggles for the coil splitters and Carvin did use flat washers for those. I agree the flat washer is much better.

Duh, that makes sense.

Indigo Shinigami

Said the p-word once
Reaction score
10-62 but I might go with a heavier 7th since I'm in Drop A.

I also noticed some Merrow tabs are in drop Bb... which is half a step up? Confused by that
Drop Bb is a half step up for the first 6 strings, and a half step down for the 7th (from B standard). Apparently, Unearth uses that tuning too.