Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NosralTserrof

Reaction score
An update to my tuner situation;

The mounting holes didn't line up, so I returned them. However, any tuning issues I had were solved with a nut recut and a good setup. Moral of the story; get your guitars set up. All the problems I had with my KM7 MK1 were solved. Love that thang.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
An update to my tuner situation;

The mounting holes didn't line up, so I returned them. However, any tuning issues I had were solved with a nut recut and a good setup. Moral of the story; get your guitars set up. All the problems I had with my KM7 MK1 were solved. Love that thang.
Well this sort of begs the question then at what price (these cost like 1.7K new, right?) do you have to stop worrying about having to fix things like this that never should've made it past the final QC check?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Well this sort of begs the question then at what price (these cost like 1.7K new, right?) do you have to stop worrying about having to fix things like this that never should've made it past the final QC check?

He's talking about a MK-1. I didn't have any issues with the tuners on the three separate MK-III models I had.

"All the problems I had with my KM7 MK1 were solved."

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
aaand there it is.
im getting one.

KM-6%20MK%20III%20PRO%20Bloodlust%20Crystal%20Burl%201902015%20TILT$.png

Well, I was interested in this until I looked it up on DCGL's website and realized it was only a 6-string. Should've noticed that from the pic.
Dang, such a nice guitar

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I think everyone correctly guessed that there was probably very minimal QC which is the downfall of this model. Some came out good (mine), but many came out bad.

It's a shame, because it is a very nice guitar when all is said and done.

Sort of reminds me of the RR24 I got at launch. Was $1200 and had a bunch of nice features, but the QC was not good at all. They didn't even send me a case with mine and fought me on it. Had stuff like finish issues, not lined up hardware, fret issues.. it was real nice to look at though.

NosralTserrof

Reaction score

So yeah, like Leviathan said, I'm rocking a MK1. For $500 used and a $100 setup, I'm more than happy with what I have and it's worth every penny.

I can understand being upset with dings and whatnot on a guitar. However, for stuff like frets, intonation, action, etc. paying the extra for a setup is worth it. Shit's gonna get messed up during S&H, no doubt about it, and I feel like every guitar is subject to that, just due to the way international shipping works.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

You're in for a surprise when you order something in the 3k register with a non locking trem that won't return to pitch perfectly :lol:

Wood instruments that shift constantly with intense weather and climate changes from one side of the country let alone across the ocean, you can always expect to do some maintenance when getting a new guitar. In all my time ordering guitars new, used, I've probably gotten maybe 7 or 8 instruments that out of the box needed zero work sans minor action changes to preference. The higher end import stuff has improved massively, but your expectation should always be that you're probably going to be doing some minor maintenance. And if you don't then great!

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
What's up everyone. I just posted this cover on YouTube with my Schecter KM7 MK1 (switch and knob still broken since I got it mind you).

Let me know if you guys like it.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Just recently joined the KM-7 club via the used/Reverb route, and was wondering what's been changed on the model since MI to MIII?

NosralTserrof

Reaction score
Just recently joined the KM-7 club via the used/Reverb route, and was wondering what's been changed on the model since MI to MIII?

A fair bit. TLDR, body styling, changes in the wood in the neck (notably wenge strips), an ernie ball compensated nut, the MK3s have fishmans instead of the nazgul/sentient, new pots, and...I think that's it?

Indigo Shinigami

Said the p-word once
Reaction score
A fair bit. TLDR, body styling, changes in the wood in the neck (notably wenge strips), an ernie ball compensated nut, the MK3s have fishmans instead of the nazgul/sentient, new pots, and...I think that's it?
The new version of the MKIIs have fishmans too, but they don't have voice 3. Otherwise, yeah they have quite a few differences between each iteration.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Only issue with my MKIII so far is the finishing where I anchor my pinky has been polished to a gloss. I knew it would happen, didn't expect it so soon though

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
The Standard MIII with the Predator inlays is giving me a massive hard-on. I remember when Keith unveiled his original SG7 with the Predator inlays and being excited as anything.

jkoch

Reaction score
So I got the KM6 Mk II with Fishmans I mentioned a few pages back. Great guitar, but it's giving me tuning troubles. I adjusted the relief and set the intonation. I have it tuned to D standard and sometimes drop C with an NYXL 11-56 set. I should need to file the nut with 11-56 right? It has the EB compensated nut, which I have no prior experience with.

It's possible that I'm having slight intonation issues due to the x-jumbo frets, but most of my guitars have had jumbo so it's not like they're that much bigger, and I am finding open strings out of tune more often than they should be anyway.

Any other ideas? Should I try filing the nut?

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
What was your process for setting intonation?

I find low strings sometimes need to be tuned slightly flat or there are intonation problems... on nearly every guitar I've ever played.

jkoch

Reaction score
What was your process for setting intonation?

I find low strings sometimes need to be tuned slightly flat or there are intonation problems... on nearly every guitar I've ever played.

I check open string, 12th fret, and 12th fret harmonic and get the octave/harmonic as close as possible when the open string is in tune.

I can tune the 6th string and then fret the 3rd and it's spot on, but the string goes out of tune 5 minutes later. I don't think it's an intonation problem.

Latest posts