Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
Keith%20Merrow%20KM-7%20MK-III%20Artist%20L.Lagoon%20Fade.01.png

Keith%20Merrow%20KM-7%20MK-III%20Artist%20L.Lagoon%20Fade.13.jpg

Compensated nut, SS frets, Hipshot hardware, Lundgren pickups.... aaaaaand 2.2k price. The 2k+ korean imports era is here.

giphy.gif

Taikatatti

Reaction score
Can I have a recap about the issues?
-finish issues, lighter spot on the top horn whitch was finished over
-neck to body connection sanded unevenly
-back of the body has been grainfilled unevenly
-something about neck being too thin, weak and accidentally bendable while playing
-poorly cut/filed nut
-f-spaced neck pickup
-Hipshot bridge is recessed, then shimmed with metal Plate

I don’t know if the bridge situation is a flaw but def a weird choice in my eyes, along with the f-spaced neck pickup.

Last edited:

Zado

Reaction score
-finish issues, lighter spot on the top horn whitch was finished over
-neck to body connection sanded unevenly
-back of the body has been grainfilled unevenly
-something about neck being too thin, weak and accidentally bendable while playing
-poorly cut/filed nut
-f-spaced neck pickup
-Hipshot bridge is recessed, then shimmed with metal Pate

I don’t know if the bridge situation is a flaw but def a weird choice in my eyes, along with the f-spaced neck pickup.

Thanks. So nothing absolutely shameful or never seen in an import guitar. Except the neck being bendable, which is ridiculous.

Moongrum

Reaction score
aaaaaand 2.2k price. The 2k+ korean imports era is here.
How much would a similarly specc'd USA guitar cost?
Don't E-II's cost about that much? 😅
I'm either horribly out of touch with how much it costs to make a guitar, or Schecter pays their Korean workers incredibly fair wages.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Compensated nut, SS frets, Hipshot hardware, Lundgren pickups.... aaaaaand 2.2k price. The 2k+ korean imports era is here.
Which is absolutely insane to me, and has been ever since they went past the 1.5k USD price point. I don't care how many nice specs like nice woods, nice pickups, nice hardware, no matter what it still plays, and looks like a 1k made in Korea from the past two decades.

Don't get me wrong, These guitars don't look or feel bad... but you can't seriously look me in the eye and tell me that a Korean made Schecter looks and feels on par with anything made in Japan or higher.

And that's where I just don't see the market for such a guitar. I also start to wonder, what's the point of putting all of this high end specs on a guitar that still will play and feel like a cheaper Korean made guitar.

It's starting to look a lot like how I feel about Kiesel. Where at a certain point, specing out things is not worth considering the guitar's limits in quality.

Zado

Reaction score
Which is absolutely insane to me, and has been ever since they went past the 1.5k USD price point. I don't care how many nice specs like nice woods, nice pickups, nice hardware, no matter what it still plays, and looks like a 1k made in Korea from the past two decades.

Don't get me wrong, These guitars don't look or feel bad... but you can't seriously look me in the eye and tell me that a Korean made Schecter looks and feels on par with anything made in Japan or higher.

And that's where I just don't see the market for such a guitar. I also start to wonder, what's the point of putting all of this high end specs on a guitar that still will play and feel like a cheaper Korean made guitar.

It's starting to look a lot like how I feel about Kiesel. Where at a certain point, specing out things is not worth considering the guitar's limits in quality.

Problem is not that Korean Schecs (or imports in general) are being priced out of mind, but that everything is following in the same direction. Japanese and American guitars are doing the same, Fender and Gibson lovers are very familiar with this... We're just used to think that stuff made in certain places can cost pretty much anything, while imports have a specific range that cannot be exceeded.
With that said, I believe brands should concentrate more on lower tier models in this moment, without throwing veneers, funky inlays and everything that increases price for no reason, and focus on sheer quality, craftsmanship. I buy a certain guitar cause it sounds good, it plays great, not because it looks fancy

Moongrum

Reaction score
Now? From a brand CS I'd say about 7-8k
Ah, good point, I'm not aware of production USA guitars with options like that.
Yep that's E2 price range, and those are japanese made, with more basic specs tho.
Again, you're right, I think I'd rather have a basic E2 than a Schecter, but that's just my bias.
I guess if I reframe the guitar, as being a custom shop Korean made instrument, then....I guess it's not a bad price🤔

Zado

Reaction score
Ah, good point, I'm not aware of production USA guitars with options like that.
I don't believe they do exist, the specs would be too specific and the price too high to raise some real interest.

Again, you're right, I think I'd rather have a basic E2 than a Schecter, but that's just my bias.
I guess if I reframe the guitar, as being a custom shop Korean made instrument, then....I guess it's not a bad price🤔

I'd get an E-II any day of the week, cause I know those 2k (more likely 3 k here in Eu) would translate into quality; also I'm not interested in guitars with esoteric specs, I'm mostly an old school metal player, a Strat and a Flying V are the place for me.

With that said, you as a brand cannot possibly think people will gladly spend 2+k on a guitar that won't be impeccable, no matter the specs.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score

Pretty nitpicky stuff here, but having an f-spaced neck pickup on a 2k$ guitar is wild.

This guy is a “self taught amateur luthier.” Honestly, I don’t trust half of what he’s saying.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don’t understand the f-space comment. I’m pretty sure they just have 1 spacing for neck pickups.

It’s like Dimarzio 7 string neck pickups. They are very widely spaced and I’ve never seen them line up with the strings on Any guitar

He also says that he wont even play the guitar for the video because he claims the neck “bends” from regular playing and throws it out of tune. —- LOL!

Last edited:
')