Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

break

Reaction score
So my KM7 arrived after 4 weeks of transit from the US to Australia today...

...but not in one piece :(

i-5XWNMJk.jpg

i-h96K6gG.jpg

Have reported this to the seller (eBay based) and will see how I go.... but hugely deflated to say the least :(

Iamatlas

Atlas
Reaction score
Dude....... That freaking sucks! This is exactly why I'm not buying one off ebay!

Hopefully you can get your money back, or a replacement at no cost.

break

Reaction score
Dude....... That freaking sucks! This is exactly why I'm not buying one off ebay!

Hopefully you can get your money back, or a replacement at no cost.
Would have been my third Schecter from the US (SLS and ATX were both shipped over fine)... so had figured it would be fine again.

Looks like it's had a big drop on the headstock.... as the foam there is quite distorted.

Interestingly... not labelled as fragile by the seller (reputable US music store)... so maybe they've cut corners in the shipping.

BUT, will wait and see what their response is before going any further... hopefully can get a replacement.

MBMoreno

Reaction score
It also makes visible that the set neck is not that deep, or did it break under the top and the neck pickup?

break

Reaction score
It also makes visible that the set neck is not that deep, or did it break under the top and the neck pickup?
Set neck isn't deep... as it's been a pretty clean separation between the body routing and neck.

Anyone still got their KM7 box handy? Odd question, but can you tell me how high the foam is under the body?

On my box, the foam is really thin/low, and the neck foam really high. The body wouldn't have even touched it's protective foam with the neck resting on it's blocks... so I suspect they've shipped this guitar in a box made for a non-SLS style body/neck which would have contributed to the risk of damage (as the obvious pressure point would have been this join)

atticus1088

Reaction score
Duncan has a lot of pickups. I wish I had time to do that for you guys, but I'm out on tour right now and the bus wifi is kinda weak. For now, check out the videos and sound clips on my YouTube page. :yesway:

Looking forward to seeing you on tour this week (6/6/14) in Gainesville. :hbang:

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Good LORD that sucks. :( Looks like it was definitely on whoever did the shipping overseas. I hope it was insured. That's terrible after waiting that long.

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered to the dealer, hopefully I don't have any issues like this. I'd be mad as HELL.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
That's a real bummer about the neck break. I have to say though, at risk of sounding rude, but it's pretty interesting as well. A peek into the construction of these.

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
That sucks so much ass. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly and with VERY little hassle. I would say to also email schecter about it, but as you are out of the country, I'm not 100% how much help they would/could be. But it's always worth a shot!

And yeah, shittyness aside, it is kinda interesting to see the joint. I always though it was a long tenon that went under the neck pickup. That area just seems so small for such a crucial joint, but ehh, I'm no luthier, so whatever. Lawls.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you contact Schecter they'll likely be mad at the dealer for sending one to Australia, so maybe best to let the seller try to work it out with you privately first. I'm sure if you went to a reputable shop they'll take care of you. Thats insane that that happened though, I've sent these to far away lands and never had a problem but you never know.

sehnomatic

Reaction score
Was it sent in that box alone?

I thought it was a general rule that you shouldn't have a guitar sent overseas with just the manufacturer packing. That box is only meant to be shipped in a crate, tightly packed with other guitars.

The dealer should have at least sent the manufacturer box (schecter box) in a larger box with those cheapo foam bits. IIRC, since schecter boxes are around 41"x15", you can pack it in a box that's just under the limit for that package size criteria. No shipping upcharge, pocket change worth of cardboard and foam, a whole lot more shipping confidence.

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
If you contact Schecter they'll likely be mad at the dealer for sending one to Australia, so maybe best to let the seller try to work it out with you privately first. I'm sure if you went to a reputable shop they'll take care of you. Thats insane that that happened though, I've sent these to far away lands and never had a problem but you never know.

Yeah, that kinda what I meant by would/could help, since Schecter starting saying no out of country sales.

SonicBlur

Reaction score
So....I've had my Trans Black KM-7 for a while now and overall it's been awesome. My only gripe is that when switching to the neck pickup I have to work the switch over and over until I get it to work, also when using the push/pull knob to split the coils I lose all sound from the neck pickups and a lot from the bridge...

Normally I'd return the guitar but since I bought it second hand off the SS.org I'm kinda stuck with it. Any suggestions?

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
So....I've had my Trans Black KM-7 for a while now and overall it's been awesome. My only gripe is that when switching to the neck pickup I have to work the switch over and over until I get it to work, also when using the push/pull knob to split the coils I lose all sound from the neck pickups and a lot from the bridge...

Normally I'd return the guitar but since I bought it second hand off the SS.org I'm kinda stuck with it. Any suggestions?

First, I would check the wiring and make sure all the solder joints are solid, you might just have a few loose wires. That would be the cheapest fix, if that were the problem.

If they are all solid, then you probably have some bad electronics. Fortunately that's only like $15-20 dollars for a new, better quality pot and switch. The wiring itself is actually really simple.

break

Reaction score
I think I got the same box as you. <snip>
Thanks for those pics dude! Yeah, definitely the same box... definitely needs some more foam padding under the body so the neck join isn't under pressure.

Was it sent in that box alone?
No, it was sent in a much larger box.... but they didn't pad out anything between the manufacturer box and the larger box (both my SLS and ATX had lots of bubble wrap and foam between the manufacturer box and the shipping box, both shipping from the US that way without problems). They've just been lazy with their packing IMO.

Yeah, I'm hoping the dealer does the right thing and resolves this in a honourable way. This is my third Schecter from the states... and first damaged (but also first without any substantial padding around it).

Zerox8610

Reaction score
So my KM7 arrived after 4 weeks of transit from the US to Australia today...

...but not in one piece :(

*removed*

Have reported this to the seller (eBay based) and will see how I go.... but hugely deflated to say the least :(

That is my absolute worst fear with these set necks... I'd prefer neck through or bolt on over set necks honestly..

Luckily my Trans Black is still in one piece. Hope you get everything taken care of, dude!

break

Reaction score
So an update on the broken KM7.

Store has been really good, and it's being sent back under insurance to wait for another new one to come in stock. The downside there is the 2 month wait until the next batch is due :(

')