Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
So an update on the broken KM7.

Store has been really good, and it's being sent back under insurance to wait for another new one to come in stock. The downside there is the 2 month wait until the next batch is due :(

Its a crap situation in general but at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe try and talk them into a hard case or a discount on one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Its a crap situation in general but at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe try and talk them into a hard case or a discount on one?

Yeah I've had very similar things happen to me in the past, and I now ALWAYS get a hard case if I'm ordering online.

As for the KM-7, I had a chance to play a couple today at a local store. I LOVE that new Schecter neck. Very very different from their old 7 string necks, which gave my hands terrible cramps after just minutes of playing. A couple things that I noticed though. Like what seems to be everyone else, is that the finish around the pickups is... interesting, but I suppose with the wood mounted pickups I would expect as much. But one that that bothered me, they had a whole bunch of them in stock, and on every single damn one of them, the pickups were set in totally different places, the pole pieces on every one of them was off in some way. Not a huge deal I guess since they are wood mount and would be easy to change where they lay, but I found that really really weird... Still, besides that, everything else was top notch, frets were smooth and level, bridge felt phenomenal, the ebony board was flawless, the nut was cut perfect, the tuners were super smooth and even, the satin finish on the whole thing was awesome, the one I played with the most needed a little action and truss rod adjustment but that is easily fixed, I loved the position of the bridge pickup being a little moved back compared to most other guitars, and speaking of pickups, I've never had the chance to try out the Nazgul and Sentient and they were great sounding, many times better than the EMG707s and 808s that all of my 7+ stringed guitars have had. Basically, I fell in love... And my wallet is sweating right now...

jeffguy

Reaction score
ARRG! I've been waiting 3 months for mine to show up :( … The said end of May but no word yet. I called the Store and they said it wasn't even in their warehouse yet! I want it already. I have riffs that need creating! It helps to know that the guitar is as sick as expected.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
ARRG! I've been waiting 3 months for mine to show up :( The said end of May but no word yet. I called the Store and they said it wasn't even in their warehouse yet! I want it already. I have riffs that need creating! It helps to know that the guitar is as sick as expected.

I am waiting for one in BC and they told me around June 13th. We probably could be waiting for ones from the same lot.

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
Yeah, Schecter told me that it would be the last week of May, but I still haven't heard anything from the dealer yet. :( I really wish I was a patient person. lol

Ludo95

Reaction score
My only gripe is that when switching to the neck pickup I have to work the switch over and over until I get it to work, also when using the push/pull knob to split the coils I lose all sound from the neck pickups and a lot from the bridge...

About the toggle:
I had the exact same problem on my schecter synyster custom: I sprayed some deoxidizer spray( an electrical contact cleaner spray) into the opening of the toggle switch and then I moved the switch back and forth for about 10-15 sec and it worked.

About the pot
It could be a "noisy pot", here's how to fix them :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmDSgtssk4A
In the video is shown how to repair noisy toggles as well.
Hope it works!

BTW, feel so bad for that broken KM-7, hope this story ends the best way :cheers:

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
So an update on the broken KM7.

Store has been really good, and it's being sent back under insurance to wait for another new one to come in stock. The downside there is the 2 month wait until the next batch is due :(

See if they'll let you keep the broken busted one for the hardware and pickups. Just tell them its no good to anybody, and you want to hang it on your wall or something... Then you have spares and can even pimp out another axe of yours!!!

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
Just received word that my trans black KM-7 is at the dealer now, is being gone over and checked by their techs, and should ship either today or tomorrow. I am excite. :yesway: :metal: :shred:

benfan

Reaction score
That minor finish issue was addressed earlier in this thread. Schecter agreed to correct this, IIRC.

I see. The one I played had a signature on the control cavity cover so I imagine it was from an early run.

Do we know if they are now shipping new ones with this issue rectified?

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
I see. The one I played had a signature on the control cavity cover so I imagine it was from an early run.

Do we know if they are now shipping new ones with this issue rectified?

Yeah, Keith signed a few of the first ones that went out. I can't remember how many, maybe 50? Less? Not sure. But the issue around the pickups was from paint. It wasn't showing up on the trans black ones, and there was only one person here (can't remember who, sorry) who had an issue with the actual physical rout for the pickups. It was just a little paint that was causing it. The batches that are shipping to players now (including mine, yay) are the third run of these. Those issues were mainly on the first run that sold out almost immediately.

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
I posted this in my NGD thread, but since there are a distinct lack of videos of people not named Keith Merrow playing this guitar on YouTube, I figured I'd post it in the official thread. Did this simply with an iPhone, which was sitting across the room from the amp, which was a stock 6505+ 112 combo. Pre was on ~4ish, post at about 2, on the lead channel. The only other thing I did with this was use an MXR 10-band eq through the fx loop of the amp. There are no other pedals used to color the tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOw1mFzFMuw&feature=youtu.be

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I just placed an order for a white one! Can't wait to give it a shot, should be fun to diddle on a sick hardtail 7 for a little while! I'll let you guys know how it is!

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
Yeah, mine was a couple of weeks later than Schecter told me that it would be. Might have been some sort of delay in the build time over in Korea or something along those lines. What I CAN tell you is that this fiddle is worth the wait. :hbang:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I made a Nazgul video demo using my KM7 for one of the rhythm and lead tracks.

I will have another demo video just playing the Km7 up in the next two weeks.

')