Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I ended up canceling my order, I'm going to go with a different 7 for the time being. I hope to snag one of these when they're more readily available, Guitar Center just kept pushing back the date for when they would receive it. Didn't really want to wait around without an accurate time frame.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
+1. The JL-7 is not really a totally new model, and the older version was known to be a well constructed workhorse. To have 3 of them with major problems would be an eye opener.

My first Schecter and first 7 string was an older Jeff Loomis Signature. That thing was awesome, I only traded it away because I was on an Ibanez kick back then.

CADAVERTOUCHER

SCHECTERCOLLECTOR
Reaction score
I'm talking about the new JL-7. Lots of finish problems , stripped out screw holes,floyd rose routes were routed out to big.Some of the Floyds were also mounted crooked,7 piece head stocks.Pickups moving around and pole pieces not matching up with the strings.

Fenceclimber

Plays guitar, reads SSO
Reaction score
Just one more month until I can get one! I couldn't care less if mine is going to have some minor finish flaws.

I think people are reacting this way just because it's Keith Merrow's signature guitar and that he is known for playing really awesome guitars, I'm not saying that the KM-7 isn't awesome but I think the KM-7 is a victim of its own ''fame''/hype here. Some people seem to have expected it to be the ''be all end all'' seven just because of Keith reputation.

I guess it can come off as that I am bashing Keith here but I'm not, I'm on his side and agree with what he wrote to 100%. I'm just trying to be realistic here, it is a mass produced guitar. I grateful that it has the awesome specs that it has and I wouldn't want anything else. Nearly every guitar in music stores here in Sweden has some flaws, even some MIJ Jacksons and Ibanezes. My Premium Ibanez has some paint bleeding on to the binding and my Iron Label Ibanez had a missing side dot on the neck. I don't know if guitars in the US are different but people here are just complaining without any real reason IMO. All these flaws are really minor and only cosmetic (except for the intonation screws as mentioned earlier) and if people expect a mass produced guitar to be completly flawless then they are just dumb.

I remember in a S7G thread someone said that they would rather buy an Ibanez with acceptable and/or minor flaws than and S7G and now when the KM-7 is out everyone is complaining about flas that are clearly acceptable AND minor for a mass produced guitar.

I just can't wait to get mine! :)

Reaction score
Often times, you'll hear the bad things about a product before the good things, especially on the internet. There's been at least 10 people who brought a KM-7 guitar for me to sign at a show on this tour I'm on. I looked closely at all of them and couldn't find anything even mildly concerning. The owners all seemed really stoked on it as well.

I do see the cosmetic flaws people have mentioned in this thread, and forwarded them to Schecter. That's about all I can do, but they are pretty committed to making people happy. If you get one with flaws, they'll keep sending you one until you consider it flawless.

Keith you are doing much more than one artist do usually for fans (like me) and for customers of a signature product. Not just signing guitars but giving help into issues after purchase like nobody do so i think all people in this thread appreciate this, specially who post photos with issues in order to correct them properly and not simply as "haters". Haters are not in this thread and i know it for sure, so please stop to beat the head of Zado.

Anyway: for the love of the guitar i follow since the first proto, i have to say that is a shame that this guitar was putted in low cost production. I'd like to see in future a higher price range in the usa production :metal: but a better quality.

700€=999$: Km-7 worth the price big time, no guitars sounds and seems like that in specifications and materials.

The problem is in Europe and is not a problem Schecter or Keith can fix: here we pay duties/tax/vats about 30/40% making the price so high to cost like a guitar of a higher range.

So ME: as a fan of Keith design, as fan of White Finishes, as a fan of Schecter, as a fan of the design provided by the Artist...

... i can spend 1300€ much better with a handmade boutique and I HAVE TO EXCUSE FOR THIS WITH KEITH, i am sure he can understand my point. :(

The only fault here is the government, we pay all much more (Mesa Mark 5 is around 5500$ here for example) making us mad and angry when we get a faulty american product.

It seems like you've enjoyed going way out of your way to bash Schecter and this particular guitar. Hopefully you can try one some day for yourself and then form a better opinion of it.

Me i don't earn anything in bashing nothing and i hope my opinion is not taken as a "don't buy KM-7 in EU", i hope much people will buy in here too in order to try it one (still unavailable in most italian shops). My final: this product surely rocks and will burst the competition!!! :hbang::scream:

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
Are there minor finish flaws in some of these guitars? Yes. That said, the one I received has NO finish flaws in it AT. ALL. I went over it very closely, and there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever. There are no blemishes on the pickup routes. There are no inconsistencies around the neck or fretboard. The finish is perfect all around the headstock. The pots aren't scratchy, and the push/pull works flawlessly, and very fluid, with no unwanted noise.

I mean, there are people screaming this guitar's faults at an invisible Jesus with the world's largest bullhorn, when Schecter has ALREADY SAID that they would accomodate replacing a guitar that you weren't happy with. Every production model is going to have its flaws from time to time, it happens. That said, if you aren't happy with the one you received, send it back, and Schecter will replace it. You have a guitar with the specs that this one has, the ridiculously high quality hardware on it, at the price you get it for, and some are complaining about tiny little finish flaws that you could easily get down the road from normal playing or gigging wear. Am I happy that mine came to me pretty much flawless? Sure. I'm fully aware that there are some not as lucky as I was in that regard. But by the same token, I can say with absolute confidence that it would not have bothered me in the slightest if I HAD received one with finish flaws, because the guitar plays fantastically and sounds amazing. It just seems ridiculous to me to bitch and moan to the heavens and hells and everywhere in between about this...especially when the guy who DESIGNED THE FRIGGIN GUITAR has been responding and helping as much as his tour schedule allows, and acting as an intermediary between us, the customer, and the manufacturer of the guitar. Especially when HE DOES NOT HAVE TO DO THAT. Ye Gods. At least OWN one of the guitars before you bash it all over the internet and declare it a faulty product. Having had mine for well over a week, and played it a LOT, I can safely say that there is no way I could find a better guitar at this price point. Friends I know who have never liked Schecters at all have played mine and decided that they are going to get one, because they can't believe it has all of those features at that price point. But just goes to show you absolutely cannot please everyone, and those who AREN'T pleased, despite some of them not even owning of them, are the loudest and most abrasive voices to be heard on the matter. :scratch:

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Still rocking my KM-7 happily. Arguably my most used 7, right alongside my JRV7. I'm surprised people are still shitting at all on this thing. The finish flaws are all insanely small, and I think it's childish to want replacement guitars in some of these cases. Seriously, mine has some finish flaws, but the damn thing is made insanely well. Hell, the impeccable fretwork more than makes up for any finish flaws in my eyes.

Anyway, as someone who has owned one since the start, I highly recommend this guitar. (EU folks may wish to avoid due to price, which is understandable.)

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
I'm talking about the new JL-7. Lots of finish problems , stripped out screw holes,floyd rose routes were routed out to big.Some of the Floyds were also mounted crooked,7 piece head stocks.Pickups moving around and pole pieces not matching up with the strings.

I got that, what I was saying is that it's not a totally new design, unlike the KM-7, so there shouldn't be too many issues if any at all.

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
I got that, what I was saying is that it's not a totally new design, unlike the KM-7, so there shouldn't be too many issues if any at all.

Considering the KM-7 and the JL-7 are basically the same, with a few differences, I can understand why it too is having some minor issues on its first run.

With its unfinished neck, 5 piece M/W neck, new extend cutaway, new pickup routes, stainless frets, if I remember right, even the finish of the body is a little different, the necks definitely is.

Comparing the old Loomis to the new JL-7 is straight up apples and oranges, as what the Loomis and the JL-7 have in common, so do the KM-7 and the old Loomis.

channie

Reaction score
Mine has been delayed until Mid July.

F***ing RAGE.

I have lost all patience and am now losing my sanity.

nfaewy.jpg

SandyRavage

Reaction score
Just want to say that the quality issues wouldn't be enough to bother me personally. It's a guitar and from a distance looks cool and if it sounds great and plays well does anything else actually matter? Little dings and bumps are gonna happen and I would rather it have a few inconsistencies so the first time I bump it on an amp, or scratch it somewhere I'm not as bummed and beating myself up over it.

Really super stoked about the 6 string its gonna be the first new guitar I've bought in several years.

We have gotten super spoiled the past several years with variety, choices, and quality at lower than ever price points and it would be fantastic if everyone could take a step back and realize that any new product has a break in period while manufactures adjust to putting out a new product. Schecter seem to be more than reasonable taking care of every issue and going above and beyond to make sure people are happy. That's unusual for such a large corporation so we should be thankful that they are ethical and awesome dudes pushing some seriously awesome guitars with incredible specs, and are actually listening to their consumers giving them products they have asked for.

Just my 2 cents.

Keith I'm stoked to see you guys tonight in Mesa!

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Just want to say that the quality issues wouldn't be enough to bother me personally. It's a guitar and from a distance looks cool and if it sounds great and plays well does anything else actually matter? Little dings and bumps are gonna happen and I would rather it have a few inconsistencies so the first time I bump it on an amp, or scratch it somewhere I'm not as bummed and beating myself up over it.

That's the thing, the vast majority of these blemishes are so mild that bumping it into anything and getting the first "real" scratch would still be a massive disappointment.

I feel it's worth mentioning that mostly EU folks are the ones complaining about price vs quality, which makes sense given the price they're paying. Unfortunately, it's still just a $999 guitar, so you get $999 quality. Not the 1300-1800, or whatever the hell it is they're paying, quality. Taxes/duties/all that fun stuff has nothing to do with the actual price of the guitar. EU folks be gettin' the shaft in that regard. It's not worth slamming the guitar over however, imho.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Señor Voorhees;4078305 said:
That's the thing, the vast majority of these blemishes are so mild that bumping it into anything and getting the first "real" scratch would still be a massive disappointment.

I feel it's worth mentioning that mostly EU folks are the ones complaining about price vs quality, which makes sense given the price they're paying. Unfortunately, it's still just a $999 guitar, so you get $999 quality. Not the 1300-1800, or whatever the hell it is they're paying, quality. Taxes/duties/all that fun stuff has nothing to do with the actual price of the guitar. EU folks be gettin' the shaft in that regard. It's not worth slamming the guitar over however, imho.

I totally agree with you it has nothing to do with the guitar, more with the marketing & pricing. To see how other guitar models fare between US & EU I went on and compared prices from Sweetwater & Thomann UK. Here is what I found:

1. The Ibanez SIX28FDBG S8, an 8-string that is sold for $1099 in US, is 918 Euro at Thomann UK. The KM-7 is $999 but 1285 Euro!!!

2. ESP LTD Alexi Laiho sig. is $999 here in US, but 799 Euro at Thomann UK!!!

BUT

3. ESP LTD Andy James' sig. is $999 here in US, and 1145 Euro at Thomann!!!!!

So something weird is going on with the EU pricing and it doesn't seem to be straightforward conversion rates + VAT.

Reaction score
I totally agree with you it has nothing to do with the guitar, more with the marketing & pricing. To see how other guitar models fare between US & EU I went on and compared prices from Sweetwater & Thomann UK. Here is what I found:

1. The Ibanez SIX28FDBG S8, an 8-string that is sold for $1099 in US, is 918 Euro at Thomann UK. The KM-7 is $999 but 1285 Euro!!!

2. ESP LTD Alexi Laiho sig. is $999 here in US, but 799 Euro at Thomann UK!!!

BUT

3. ESP LTD Andy James' sig. is $999 here in US, and 1145 Euro at Thomann!!!!!

So something weird is going on with the EU pricing and it doesn't seem to be straightforward conversion rates + VAT.

Sir,

If i pay duties and taxes with international shipment from USA (bypassing all distributors) i wil pay the kM-7 about 1000€ so not a good business yet.

American guys can stop complaining about issues and faults, they pay the KM-7 half of my price. But in my case only a stupid will pay a guitar 1300€ with such problems, cosmetics or not (and i have the right to have a beautiful guitar too not only full functionally axe because i don't shit gold every morning). 999$ is a very low price and some issues can be ignored.

There are also lots of famous producing doing much faulty guitars too.

As a wise man said in this thread: we had a lot of hype on this axe and in EU much of us was expecting a "boutique" product (and the reason was the big price that was announced by distributors and because of this specs), so excuse us if we buy other things (made in EU or the problem is the same).

So my question: would you pay KM-7 1767,83$ usd?

DocBach

Reaction score
Please, send back any KM7's with minor finish flaws (specifically ones in the satin black finish) back to wherever you bought them from...

...Here's hoping to snagging a minor blemished finish KM7 b-stock for a good price!

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Man the people in Europe complaining about prices are really to ticking me off. Every guitar from the states and imports are more expensive there.

And yes I would pay 1700$ for the KM, because people were predicting around that much for it originally based on the specs. At 1k, it's currently a VALUE, 1700 might reflect the actual specs on the guitar better than it's current price.

@Imperiustemp

I'm not sure why you're considering this when you can easily get a Mayones for the same price. And you honestly act like there's no such thing as a return policy over there. You got a guitar with flaws? You can either return it, get another one, or buy something else. As far as prices over there go, it's based on distributor deals and what they can work out, some brands have better deals based on better sellability over there BASED on current sales. So not Schecter's fault not enough people are buying their damn guitars over there.

Zado

Reaction score
Please, send back any KM7's with minor finish flaws (specifically ones in the satin black finish) back to wherever you bought them from...

...Here's hoping to snagging a minor blemished finish KM7 b-stock for a good price!

There is a guy on ebay,a certain Tim Mauery,that used to sell B-Stock Schecters a couple of years ago; it was great,since you could purchase an high end model for a st00pid price...I got my hellraiser from him,and with taxes and duties added I spent 500€,and still I'm unable to find the defect for the guitar to be considered B-stock...that guy made great businness here in Italy,every single guy I know who played a schecter in the past,got at least one from him,and the scratches were really small.To be clear,something like this

2007 EPIPHONE LES PAUL STUDIO CHAMELEON ELECTRIC GUITAR BLUE GREEN PURPLE FINISH | eBay

is in plain horrific conditions compared to what i used to see from him,and the price is rather good anyway.

Now this guy's not selling Schecters anymore,which is meh of course.But what hurts me the most is that it seems like there's no more "B-stock" concept for schecters,now the instruments are always sold as brand new,mint condition,full priced. You have to decide if you want to keep it with the (sometimes) small blemishes,or wait to get a possibly mint new one.What's wrong with discounts? :ugh:

'm not sure why you're considering this when you can easily get a Mayones for the same price. And you honestly act like there's no such thing as a return policy over there. You got a guitar with flaws? You can either return it, get another one, or buy something else. As far as prices over there go, it's based on distributor deals and what they can work out, some brands have better deals based on better sellability over there BASED on current sales. So not Schecter's fault not enough people are buying their damn guitars over there.
Return policy depends on the amount of guitars of that kind the country has.The first KM-7 was delivered in Italy a Week ago,and that was the moment we new the its final price here for the first time.Of course there would be no chance to return it and get another one without waiting at least a couple of months.Yeah,you can return it and get something else,but really...wouldn't you pissed of if you were about purchasing,dunno,a JPXII as a huge petruci fan,and got a flawed one...you return it and they say "this is the only one we have,but dont worry,you can get a E-II horizon!".Maybe someone would gladly accept the trade,but I honestly wouldn't

')