Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ddk

Reaction score
Black Winters are an interesting change up, I wonder why Keith didn't go with the Nazgul/Sentient 6?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ludo95

Reaction score
Black Winters are an interesting change up, I wonder why Keith didn't go with the Nazgul/Sentient 6?

Yep, I was wondering the same thing... maybe he likes Nazgul/sentinent combo only on 7-8 string guitars, as they have been made specifically for that kind of guitars!

AJS

Reaction score
I think at this point we all are waiting for the next logical step... KM-8.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
My only reservation about this would be the possibility of it being 28 inch scale.

I may be wrong but I sort of remember keith saying he doesn't like super long scales. I personally really like the feel of 26.5, or 27 inch scales on 8's. Some people don't think 28 is long enough. I'm gonna guess it'd be a 27 inch scale on the 8's though. That way you get some extra tension without making it too difficult to play.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I sort of remember keith saying he doesn't like super long scales. I personally really like the feel of 26.5, or 27 inch scales on 8's. Some people don't think 28 is long enough. I'm gonna guess it'd be a 27 inch scale on the 8's though. That way you get some extra tension without making it too difficult to play.

I highly doubt it would be 27", only because they haven't used that scale on any standard models yet (that's part of what keeps these affordable, they're relatively standard features combined to Keith's preferences).

SonicBlur

Reaction score
All specs confirmed by Keith on FB today.

Yes sir, he just posted pics of two production KM-6s...

10592859_873734889321878_4401250195945097629_n.jpg

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Had a busy week at work, had to restring/setup the guitar, and barely got to play it till today. She rips! I really like playing leads on this actually, the extra inch makes the higher register really accesible. Sentient is awesome, I might have to fiddle with the height a bit. To me it does lack a little bit of clarity/expressiveness, but not in any huge way. Awesome cleans. The Nazgul, which I had some reservations about its high-output nature, is sick as well, nice and tight/expressive, but also has a certain meat-and-potatoes chunk to it, it'd be fun to play some doomy/stoner stuff on. The guitar also has a nice weight to it without being overtly heavy! No issues with it really, I just have the problem of the finish seeming to acquire some dark/graphite esque marks inexplicably that I saw someone else post about. Factory string guage was kind of retarded IMO, 9-46 and lets just throw a 64 on there? :nuts:
Anyways, sorry for all the words. Iphone pics, luminlays and the finish are both hard AF to photagraph:

Attachments

• IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 58

evan9198

Reaction score
I recently recorded a new song using the KM-7. I've got to say, I love this guitar. So easy to get a good source tone with it.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/evan9198/through-the-siren-finished[/SC]

esskater770

Reaction score
Had a busy week at work, had to restring/setup the guitar, and barely got to play it till today. She rips! I really like playing leads on this actually, the extra inch makes the higher register really accesible. Sentient is awesome, I might have to fiddle with the height a bit. To me it does lack a little bit of clarity/expressiveness, but not in any huge way. Awesome cleans. The Nazgul, which I had some reservations about its high-output nature, is sick as well, nice and tight/expressive, but also has a certain meat-and-potatoes chunk to it, it'd be fun to play some doomy/stoner stuff on. The guitar also has a nice weight to it without being overtly heavy! No issues with it really, I just have the problem of the finish seeming to acquire some dark/graphite esque marks inexplicably that I saw someone else post about. Factory string guage was kind of retarded IMO, 9-46 and lets just throw a 64 on there? :nuts:
Anyways, sorry for all the words. Iphone pics, luminlays and the finish are both hard AF to photagraph:

I want this guitar so badly, but I was wondering if the white finish would get dirty... now idk!

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
What made you decide to put EMGs in there? Just wondering because I'm thinking of getting this guitar, but not sure if I'd prefer the Duncans to EMG actves.

I think (I may be wrong, but they look exactly the same?) that's the 57/66 PAF-y active set from the JL-7, which are supposed to be really great. I considered doing the exact same thing because I love PAF-esque tones on high-gain guitars, but figured I'd save a couple hundred bucks and just get the Loomis where they come standard haha. Literally the only substantial differences between the two guitars at that point are the fretboard and top wood. So if you want to hear what it would sound like, check the KM-7 vs JL-7 video posted on this page- it will basically sound like that.

JeffTD

Reaction score
What made you decide to put EMGs in there? Just wondering because I'm thinking of getting this guitar, but not sure if I'd prefer the Duncans to EMG actves.

I hated the stock pickups. Very clear and defined but had a really aggressive upper midrange spike and the pick attack was way too djenty for me. At this point in time I just prefer EMG for humbuckers, passives for singles. These are the 57/66, I have one other 6 string with them and the 57 is my favorite pickup, period.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
I hated the stock pickups. Very clear and defined but had a really aggressive upper midrange spike and the pick attack was way too djenty for me. At this point in time I just prefer EMG for humbuckers, passives for singles. These are the 57/66, I have one other 6 string with them and the 57 is my favorite pickup, period.

Here's my question: HOW did you get EMGs in there haha. The control cavity is SO small, how did you get a battery in there? Did you route for a battery box?

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
Here's my question: HOW did you get EMGs in there haha. The control cavity is SO small, how did you get a battery in there? Did you route for a battery box?

Right? I was barely able to fit two push/pull pots in there with all the wiring, I can't imagine a pot, a toggle switch and a battery.

')