Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chopeth

Reaction score
Hey guys just received mine!The pickup screws are messed up and so are pickup heights...:mad:

So which is the correct height in mm measuring from the body???

Is there a proper or recommended one or is it just a matter of taste?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gay4ass

Reaction score
I am wondering if any of you guys managed to fit a thicker string on the B with or without modifications to the tuners?

I use elixirs so I only have the option of going for a 0.068.

Voron

Reaction score
I am wondering if any of you guys managed to fit a thicker string on the B with or without modifications to the tuners?

I use elixirs so I only have the option of going for a 0.068.

0.64 without modification - no problems. Don't know about 0,68.
But it's easy to fix!

Quicksilver689

Jesus freak
Reaction score
Just joined the club in January. My first 7, and she's a beauty! Trans black, from Sweetwater, just like the one a few posts above.

Question though - is anybody else having intonation problems with the stock low .062 in Drop A? I've adjusted the truss rod slightly to flatten the neck out a little, because it had a little too much unnecessary concave bow for my taste. My low drop A saddle appears smaller than the others, but the screw seems long like the others. My problem is that the fretted note at the 12th fret remains sharper than the 12th fret harmonic, even with the saddle pulled wayyy back. It's at the point now where I can't pull it back any further, because if I did, the end of the screw would then obstruct where the string comes up through the bottom of the saddle, and likely also push against the string. All the other strings intonate just fine though.

I've tried searching on this but have not found anything conclusive, especially since I don't think this is an older one from what I can tell.

Thanks in advance for any help, it would greatly be appreciated before I go contacting Schecter. :)

Quicksilver689

Jesus freak
Reaction score
I contacted Schecter, and they're going to mail me a shorter screw, spring, and saddle for the low Drop A string. We'll see what happens! :D

Just joined the club in January. My first 7, and she's a beauty! Trans black, from Sweetwater, just like the one a few posts above.

Question though - is anybody else having intonation problems with the stock low .062 in Drop A? I've adjusted the truss rod slightly to flatten the neck out a little, because it had a little too much unnecessary concave bow for my taste. My low drop A saddle appears smaller than the others, but the screw seems long like the others. My problem is that the fretted note at the 12th fret remains sharper than the 12th fret harmonic, even with the saddle pulled wayyy back. It's at the point now where I can't pull it back any further, because if I did, the end of the screw would then obstruct where the string comes up through the bottom of the saddle, and likely also push against the string. All the other strings intonate just fine though.

I've tried searching on this but have not found anything conclusive, especially since I don't think this is an older one from what I can tell.

Thanks in advance for any help, it would greatly be appreciated before I go contacting Schecter. :)

JeffTD

Reaction score
So I'm finding that with getting a 6 string Evertuned, I'm likely to play my KM7 pretty sparingly, and I've always had a love/hate with 7s in general. Anyway, what do you guys think interest would be on an Evertuned KM7 w/ a 57/66 set if I decided to sell it?

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
I think that depends on what you are asking for it. If you are asking the price of a KM-7+EMG 57/66+Evertune (Assuming 1800ish? for everything and the install/route work) then probably not a whole lot since most people can just go do the same to theirs.

JeffTD

Reaction score
Yeah I definitely wouldn't be doing that; I sold the Duncans so the pickups are a wash, thinking closer to $1400.

Ericbrujo

Music has no rules
Reaction score
I contacted Schecter, and they're going to mail me a shorter screw, spring, and saddle for the low Drop A string. We'll see what happens! :D

did the new shorter screw, spring, and saddle for the low Drop A string fix your problem ?? im about to purchase a new guitar and im looking at the km7 but i dont want a guitar that has intonation problems. i just want to know if i should get the km7 or just save more money and get the IBANEZ RGD Prestige.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
FWIW, my KN7 has not intonation problems; plays like a dream with no issues
The pickups sound great, but I may try a magnet swap to warm it up/increase organic-ness (?)

chopeth

Reaction score
FWIW, my KN7 has not intonation problems; plays like a dream with no issues
The pickups sound great, but I may try a magnet swap to warm it up/increase organic-ness (?)

It'd be great if you showed us the process and results, I'm also interested :yesway:

RustInPeace

Reaction score
So I jammed on friday for the first time ever with my km-7 at band level volumes... and I'm getting some really bad pickup squeeling!! Cant resale these pickups when they are doing this. Was this an issue for some of the first km7's released? I thought I remembered reading about this...

androponic

Reaction score
I believe they had an issue with the wax potting not completely filling the metal covers and they were a bit microphonic. They could probably use to be repotted.

channie

Reaction score
let me bump this thread up for some km love! i got another km6 just today :D

11206035_10152797208734080_4812380990861750739_n.jpg

and.. i realised my very first km has started to turn yellowish/greenish... any tips on maintaining the body/finish of this guitar?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Hard to tell. Probably a ....ty instagram filter, but would be cool if it's a natural finish. More variety. :agreed:

')