Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
How much do used KM7 MKI's go for? If it's a decent amount less than the MKII's is it worth the difference in price to find a used MKII?

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
To the guy with the pickup screws just do the toothpick trick and stop worrying about it. You can still adjust the pickup it just adds more wood so the threads will hold. That’s not going to void any warranty and what are you worried about voiding anyway? If they want to charge you $100 shipping to do a two second fix what good is the warranty anyway.

Flick

Reaction score
To the guy with the pickup screws just do the toothpick trick and stop worrying about it. You can still adjust the pickup it just adds more wood so the threads will hold. That’s not going to void any warranty and what are you worried about voiding anyway? If they want to charge you $100 shipping to do a two second fix what good is the warranty anyway.

Schecter is sending me a new set of screws. I bet the insert threads are the problem. Seemingly the entire way through. The screw has a lot of play the whole way through the insert. If the screws they send are larger, by a small amount, this may be the fix. If not, it’s a whole new insert. I find putting toothpicks in a brand new $1500 guitar comical.

Flick

Reaction score
Saving money isn't comical to me lol

If schecter is going to continue to send me the replacement parts, then it will be fixed and I’ll never have to fix it the wrong way with a toothpick that I’d have to pay for.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the point is that the problem shouldn't have existed in the first place. Schecter charging him for shipping to fix their screw-up is a bit rude IMO. Isn't that the whole point of why there's an additional bit of fat built into the margin of the guitars to account for rejects and warranty issues?

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
I think the point is that the problem shouldn't have existed in the first place. Schecter charging him for shipping to fix their screw-up is a bit rude IMO. Isn't that the whole point of why there's an additional bit of fat built into the margin of the guitars to account for rejects and warranty issues?

Depends on the wording of the warranty, really.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/about#Warranty

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on the wording of the warranty, really.

True, in this case their warranty states the buyer pays for shipping. Still a bit rude. It does make you wonder though that if the buyer pays for shipping because Schecter can't afford to cover it, is it because there's not enough margin on the guitar or the amount of warranty claims they have exceeds their warranty budget - ie this happens more often than it should.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
It does state that they will not pay freight for warranty service. All service is done in California. Shipping plus insurance to/from Pennsylvania/California is ridiculously expensive.

It's only to Schecter. They pay to ship it back. See number 11.

I live in Ohio.

Flick

Reaction score
It's only to Schecter. They pay to ship it back. See number 11.

I live in Ohio.

Right. I’m currently having Schecter mail me the parts so I can fix it myself. Their service dept claimed this will not void my warranty. I will also avoid paying $130 for shipping plus insurance one way. Probably the best workaround on the disappointing warranty policy.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The point is that it’s like the biggest non issue in the world. Wood strips. I would never expect a company to ship a guitar back and forth for that. It’s a hole for a pickup screw. The toothpick would make it as good as new and you would never even know there was an issue. It would cost nothing (if your bitching about the cost of a wood toothpick you have a problem) and nobody would ever know it. If using a toothpick really bothered you, you could fill the holes with filler and then make new holes. It is literally a $5 fix. I would rather do that than ship a guitar across the country, but it’s your guitar.

Last edited:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Also you keep mentioning inserts. Does the guitar have inserts now or is the fix adding an insert? Because if it’s the latter you will have to enlarge the hole to the proper size to accommodate the inserts which could potentionaly do more damage than you already have, then you will also have to glue or press the inserts in. On the other hand if it does have inserts from the factory you will have to pull the old inserts which could also do more damage. If it does have inserts already the toothpick trick isn’t going to work anyway.

Flick

Reaction score
Also you keep mentioning inserts. Does the guitar have inserts now or is the fix adding an insert? Because if it’s the latter you will have to enlarge the hole to the proper size to accommodate the inserts which could potentionaly do more damage than you already have, then you will also have to glue or press the inserts in. On the other hand if it does have inserts from the factory you will have to pull the old inserts which could also do more damage. If it does have inserts already the toothpick trick isn’t going to work anyway.

Just to clarify, the guitar already has inserts. It seems like the threads in the inserts are either stripped or do not match the screw they used.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh ok well then throw the toothpick thing out the window. Are you able to get the original insert out?

')