Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bastardbullet

Reaction score
So tried a little experiment. Got a set of 8 string Ernie Ball's 74 -10 for my KM-7. Laid the 10 aside, and strung the guitar up with the 74 - 13. What a difference! Tuned to G standard the thing resonates acoustically like you wouldn't believe. Would definitely recommend this string set to anyone going lower than B standard on theirs.

Did almost the same thing for one of my songs tuned in drop G#. I ditched the 0.64 instead of 0.10, btw i use the same set for A standard tuning just without the 0.74. I simply love this set.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Did almost the same thing for one of my songs tuned in drop G#. I ditched the 0.64 instead of 0.10, btw i use the same set for A standard tuning just without the 0.74. I simply love this set.

I was surprised I didn't have to alter the nut to accommodate the 74.

bastardbullet

Reaction score
I was surprised I didn't have to alter the nut to accommodate the 74.

Yeah, same here. It fits perfectly. Also, i was having nightmarish sustain and intonation problems every single time i change the strings since day one. I usually used 10-60’s or 62’s for A standard. Now all these issues are gone, tunings holds up perfectly. Btw mine is mk-I.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Yeah, same here. It fits perfectly. Also, i was having nightmarish sustain and intonation problems every single time i change the strings since day one. I usually used 10-60’s or 62’s for A standard. Now all these issues are gone, tunings holds up perfectly. Btw mine is mk-I.

Mine's a MK 1 as well. Don't know what it is, but this guitar really seems to prefer the heavier gauges. The Nagual, which I thought sounded kind of crappy, dry, and spikey in B standard, sounds much more balanced when given a heavier dose of the low ends. Was thinking a getting a new guitar, but not now. Well.. maybe an Orange MK 1? ;)

bastardbullet

Reaction score
Mine's a MK 1 as well. Don't know what it is, but this guitar really seems to prefer the heavier gauges. The Nagual, which I thought sounded kind of crappy, dry, and spikey in B standard, sounds much more balanced when given a heavier dose of the low ends. Was thinking a getting a new guitar, but not now. Well.. maybe an Orange MK 1? ;)

Why not, and i’m lurking for those green km-7fr’s so bad but my wallet simply says nope for now.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Was thinking Schecter should offer at least one version of the new Hybrid model with Schecter custom shop passives.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Was thinking Schecter should offer at least one version of the new Hybrid model with Schecter custom shop passives.

Just out of curiosity, which ones do you have in mind? I ask 'coz I have a Schecter Banshee Elite 7-string Sustainiac with SuperCharger Mach-7 in the bridge, and it's not a bad pickup but it didn't wow me, maybe I need to adjust height or change amp settings.

As for the hybrid, I'd be skeptical they do that on a sig model.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, which ones do you have in mind? I ask 'coz I have a Schecter Banshee Elite 7-string Sustainiac with SuperCharger Mach-7 in the bridge, and it's not a bad pickup but it didn't wow me, maybe I need to adjust height or change amp settings.

All three demo'd here sound like they have their merits. So like win/win/win.

GustavoGP

Reaction score
Hi everybody KM fans. I just bought a used KM-6 MKII (Fishman model) and i would like to know, if you guys know, if it is possibly to install the Fishman Universal Rechargeable Battery Pack using the two cavities, the Li-Ion battery pack in the Battery Compartment, and the Rechargeable Universal Module in the wiring cavity???. It is crucial to know before buying the Battery Pack because i live in Colombia and if i buy it and it wont work i will not be able to return it. Thanks for any info you can provide.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Had the KM7 MKIII for awhile and while it's an excellent guitar (I got lucky, mine was mint and not damaged at all), I think the combo of a 26.5" scale and no floyd rose started to wear on me too much. I ended up trading it for a Kiesel over the weekend. The guitar really blew me away, because I really didn't like any other Schecter I've ever played. Ah well, the life of a gear whore.

Zado

Reaction score

Honestly the Supercharger is not their best pickup, I don't like it that much, might be suitable for some genres but nothing I tend to play. I like the Apo a lot more, astounding pickup that is, sort of a modern take on a SuperD. Spec wise it's close to a BKP Jugg but sounds quite different.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Hi everybody KM fans. I just bought a used KM-6 MKII (Fishman model) and i would like to know, if you guys know, if it is possibly to install the Fishman Universal Rechargeable Battery Pack using the two cavities, the Li-Ion battery pack in the Battery Compartment, and the Rechargeable Universal Module in the wiring cavity???. It is crucial to know before buying the Battery Pack because i live in Colombia and if i buy it and it wont work i will not be able to return it. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Because of the push-pull pot, the cavity will be too small to fit the charging port. I ran into that issue when trying to fit the pack into my MKI, and the MKII cavity is slightly more narrow than the MKI.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
A bit late but just ordered my first KM7. Is the MK-III in trans black.

Got an offer via email from Musicians Friend. Started digging around, went through a few options. Called my Sweetwater guy and he knocked the price off close to matching. (SW has no tax) and yeah. Won't be in until after the holiday but inbound NGD.

Mraz

Reaction score
Can anyone update me on the whole Keith Merrow signature guitars? Do they still have electronics issues they used to have?

(I have been out of the guitar world for a while - kinda lost interest after 17+ years, due to not being motivated)

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Can anyone update me on the whole Keith Merrow signature guitars? Do they still have electronics issues they used to have?

(I have been out of the guitar world for a while - kinda lost interest after 17+ years, due to not being motivated)

That's a Schecter thing in general imo. It's not that big of a deal imo though. I buy a guitar with just the body and stuff in mind. Not the pickups or electronics really.
It's hit or miss.
Also there were issues with the Artist MK-3s finish being messed up along the neck. Not sure if that has been resolved over time. I got my fourth Artist mk-3 this year and kept it as I was satisfied with it at the price I paid ($400 less than normal). The first 3 were too damaged.

I think the Standard MK-3s have been fine. @KnightBrolaire bought one I think

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
That's a Schecter thing in general imo. It's not that big of a deal imo though. I buy a guitar with just the body and stuff in mind. Not the pickups or electronics really.
It's hit or miss.
Also there were issues with the Artist MK-3s finish being messed up along the neck. Not sure if that has been resolved over time. I got my fourth Artist mk-3 this year and kept it as I was satisfied with it at the price I paid ($400 less than normal). The first 3 were too damaged.

I think the Standard MK-3s have been fine. @KnightBrolaire bought one I think
Yeah I own a Standard MK3. No issues with the electronics. I wasn't really a fan of the stock bridge pickup and ended up swapping it for a duncan Parallel Axis.

Here's my NGD if you want to read my thoughts on the standard series:
https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-green-meanie.336423/
I've played a couple of the artist versions as well and they seem to be kind of inconsistent in fit/finish. Both of the artist versions I've played now have tool marks on the fretboard and some other minor aesthetic issues, but the pickups/electronics were fine.

')