Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zulphur

Reaction score
Hi dudes! Few months ago i bought a KM-7 MKI with the Nazgul and Sentient set and a Banshee Elite 7. Both guitars plays like a dream and have somehow a similar tone but the KM-7 sounds way to "quacky" and "honky" while the banshee is just in the right amount of everything.
Is the guitar the main problem or could this be solved by a pickup change ? My options are a little bit limited but in the Seymour Duncan passive range i can buy the Distortion , Invader, Custom and Custom 5. My other options are actives Blackouts. I like the SH6 in my other 6 string and that pickup alway worked for me besides the problems it has , like being a little fuzzy, but i don't know if the SH6 will work well with the KM7.
Would love to keep this guitar.
Help!

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Hi dudes! Few months ago i bought a KM-7 MKI with the Nazgul and Sentient set and a Banshee Elite 7. Both guitars plays like a dream and have somehow a similar tone but the KM-7 sounds way to "quacky" and "honky" while the banshee is just in the right amount of everything.
Is the guitar the main problem or could this be solved by a pickup change ? My options are a little bit limited but in the Seymour Duncan passive range i can buy the Distortion , Invader, Custom and Custom 5. My other options are actives Blackouts. I like the SH6 in my other 6 string and that pickup alway worked for me besides the problems it has , like being a little fuzzy, but i don't know if the SH6 will work well with the KM7.
Would love to keep this guitar., looks great in Lambo Orange.
HELP!
Different pickups as well. The "quacky" nature of the KM7 definitely sounds like the Nazgul/Sentient set, so changing to an SH-5 or SH-6 should fix that.
Or shit, if you can even find them, get the Supercharger Mach pickup set like in your Banshee Elite.

Zulphur

Reaction score
Yeah there is something almost single coil "ish" about the tone. It's missing lows and lower mid saturation but at the same time feels like somebody boosted the hell of 3k on a eq pedal before my boost. It's not a bad sound per se but i don't think the Nazgul and this guitar works well together at all. Notes are super clear on a chord under high gain, super impressed by that. The more i tweak the tone if feels like i'm almost there but this "metallic quack" still present
It plays so good goddamit.

Last edited:

Zulphur

Reaction score
Ok this is going to be a little embarrasing. I've always play around with the pickup and pole pieces height but in this guitar i just forgot to do it. I received it , looked the height and leave it there because it seemed that was alright and the output was similar to SH-6 levels. So yesterday on my last attempt i lowered the pickup to 4mm or a little more and adjusted pole pieces to be flush with the cover and BANG! That metallic "chink" was gone and the mids thickened A LOT. First time hearing such a drastic change with a pickup height adjustment.
The guitar sounds angry as fuck now. Still has that mid forward characteristic but in functional and pleasant way. So, if for whatever reason you have the same problem as i did, try to lower the pickup and see if that works for you. The guitar sounds great now. This makes want to try the 6 string version of the Nazgul for sure.
Drop A heaven right now.

Attachments

• SCH.jpg
    SCH.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57

PF Chang

Reaction score
Even more sig gear and a 272 page thread for a dude that dropped off the face of the earth over 5 years ago. Impressive.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
He still has a YouTube presence reviewing gear and is currently touring Europe with Nightmarer...

RevelGTR

Reaction score
He still has a YouTube presence reviewing gear and is currently touring Europe with Nightmarer...
Yeah but Nightmarer is tiny and his videos get a few thousand views. At this point he has to be most famous for a signature guitar by a long short.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Yeah but Nightmarer is tiny and his videos get a few thousand views. At this point he has to be most famous for a signature guitar by a long short.
True, and very weird to think about. He's a legacy signature Schecter artist whose biggest claim to fame is said signature model :lol:

That or maybe the Duncan video.

Flick

Reaction score
Different pickups as well. The "quacky" nature of the KM7 definitely sounds like the Nazgul/Sentient set, so changing to an SH-5 or SH-6 should fix that.
Or shit, if you can even find them, get the Supercharger Mach pickup set like in your Banshee Elite.
The bridge pickup is routed closer to the bridge. That’ll result in brighter tone.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The bridge pickup is routed closer to the bridge. That’ll result in brighter tone.
It's the same distance on the Banshee elite. The closer bridge pickup was initially introduced on the KM MK1 series, but after it was introduced Schecter started using the closer bridge placement on all of their guitars.

You can see it here, they're pretty much the same.

banchee_elite72.png

16d4d4ee2c5cfddb47d821a33820f689.jpg

Flick

Reaction score
It's the same distance on the Banshee elite. The closer bridge pickup was initially introduced on the KM MK1 series, but after it was introduced Schecter started using the closer bridge placement on all of their guitars.

You can see it here, they're pretty much the same.

banchee_elite72.png

16d4d4ee2c5cfddb47d821a33820f689.jpg
I’m surprised the Banshee doesn’t have a brighter tone with that pickup placement. I guess that’s one of the reasons I prefer my Ibanez over the Schecter.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Honestly that bridge pickup placement is the sole reason why I'm a Schecter fan, everyone else is just too far to take account for.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Honestly that bridge pickup placement is the sole reason why I'm a Schecter fan, everyone else is just too far to take account for.
It's the ideal pickup placement and idk why more brands don't do it.
Actually, I do; not a lot of people factor in that detail so it's not worth retooling entire production lines for it lol

')