Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not to spoil the echo chamber here but i think Schecter doing all these burk finishes cuz it sells. As much as ppl complaining about lack of solid finishes or other tops Schecter is just doing what the market want, unfortunately. People in here means very little in term of grand scheme of things.
nah I know they sell, it's a quick and easy way to make your guitar look bootique and custom. Same way with the flame/quilt craze of the '90s/2000s.

I'm just tired of it. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I would see if you can get a bit closer to ~800 usd. That's sbout average going rate on mkiis from what I've seen
Is this a mk2? That's what it is listed at.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_142431.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_142431.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
no thats a MK1. MK1s had the standard arched tops, standard headstock and triple-ply binding on the body and headstock as well as standard dot inlays. The back was also finished black (unless you got one of the special edition colors) and were set necks.

MKIIs had the bevels, no binding on the body and headstock, the multi-layered headstock, and circle inlays. They also weren't painted, the whole body was natural (or black stain). They were neck-thru with multi-laminate necks.

schecter-keith-merrow-km6-mk2-nat-2017-ss-full-front.jpg

Reaction score
no thats a MK1. MK1s had the standard arched tops, standard headstock and triple-ply binding on the body and headstock as well as standard dot inlays. The back was also finished black (unless you got one of the special edition colors) and were set necks.

MKIIs had the bevels, no binding on the body and headstock, the multi-layered headstock, and circle inlays. They also weren't painted, the whole body was natural (or black stain). They were neck-thru with multi-laminate necks.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm after a white 7 string and have always liked the Km7 this just popped up on a used website. I'm just not sure if I can justify what the guy is asking around 1k. It's in mint condition apparently and he has been the only owner never gigged. I get to check it out tonight in person and make the call. Any preference over the mk1 mk2 or mk3?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm after a white 7 string and have always liked the Km7 this just popped up on a used website. I'm just not sure if I can justify what the guy is asking around 1k. It's in mint condition apparently and he has been the only owner never gigged. I get to check it out tonight in person and make the call. Any preference over the mk1 mk2 or mk3?
I prefer the MKII solely for the bevel. More comfy on my forearm. Aesthetically I prefer the MK1 lol. I think the MKIII is too pointy.

They should all be on par quality-wise.

Also if it helps, all the MK1s came with a Duncan Nazgul//Sentient set, the majority of MK2s will also have them with a few of them having Keith's Fishmans in them, and (at the time of this post) all of the MK3s will have Fishmans except for the recent blue burl one and some recent limited edition USA ones which will Lundgren Meshuggah pickups.

Reaction score
I prefer the MKII solely for the bevel. More comfy on my forearm. Aesthetically I prefer the MK1 lol. I think the MKIII is too pointy.

They should all be on par quality-wise.

Also if it helps, all the MK1s came with a Duncan Nazgul//Sentient set, the majority of MK2s will also have them with a few of them having Keith's Fishmans in them, and (at the time of this post) all of the MK3s will have Fishmans except for the recent blue burl one and some recent limited edition USA ones which will Lundgren Meshuggah pickups.
I really like the look of the Mk1 in the white. Looks classy and metal at the same time. Plus it will pop even more with all the shirts I own being black band merch.

sell2792

Reaction score
Potential good deal on a MKIII 7:

Looks like a rough, spray can re-fin. I'd definitely ask for more info and pictures first.

Definitely a refin though not terribly done. The biggest deal breaker for me is the EMGs - I would rather have the stock Fishmans.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
at least it’s not the pillars of creation riff.

Joking aside, that is such a sick guitar and I wish I could stop running into material that keeps me gassing for a founders edition.

I'm just glad there's lundgrens in it 🤣

Morbid Appetite

Reaction score
So after years I finally decided to buy my holy grail - the KM-6 Artist guitar. It was the last one on Thomann. I have to say that I'm completely disappointed. For the price, I expected something better than a classic Korean guitar, and I got much less than that. Even guitars at half the price have more features than this. I attached photos so judge for yourself.

1. The bridge pickup is shifted downwards towards the potentiometers, so the magnetic poles do not align with the strings. The pickup touches the opening at the bottom and has a large gap at the top.
  2. There are gaps between the glued parts of the neck, as if glue is missing. These gaps can be felt when running a fingernail over them. This is noticeable on the body, neck, and headstock.
  3. The thing where the guitar strap attaches is drilled off-center.
  4. The tuning machine for the D string was completely crooked. This could be partially corrected because the screws holding the tuners were all significantly loose.
  5. The nut is really high and poorly glued with gaps. Also, due to its height, when I press the first fret, the tone is significantly higher than it should be because the string is high above the first fret.
  6. Swamp ash part is oversprayed with top dark color but I was not able to take a photo of it.
  7. The top is misaligned by at least 5 mm and not "book matched" properly.
I don't know guys. I'm deeply disappointed.

Attachments

• Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.12.41.jpg
    Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.12.41.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.13.28.jpg
    Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.13.28.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.14.47.jpg
    Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.14.47.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.16.09.jpg
    Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.16.09.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 61
  • Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.18.37.jpg
    Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.18.37.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.19.54.jpg
    Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.19.54.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.21.30.jpg
    Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.21.30.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 59
  • Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.32.37.jpg
    Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-06 v 20.32.37.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 64

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score

I literally just shipped this guitar back to the place I purchased it from today. It's a great guitar, well built, and sounds amazing IMO. No flimsy neck issues like the video of the Legacy in this thread. However, it took a beating during shipping. Same thing happened to the first Tao-7 I received. Now, I'm debating whether to roll the dice with a replacement or spend a little more on a Mayones or Aristides. If anyone buys this guitar, the Schecter sgr-1c case isn't the best fit.

Last edited:

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
I literally just shipped this guitar back to the place I purchased it from today. It's a great guitar, well built, and sounds amazing IMO. No flimsy neck issues like the video of the Legacy in this thread. However, it took a beating during shipping. Same thing happened to the first Tao-7 I received. Now, I'm debating whether to roll the dice with a replacement or spend a little more on a Mayones or Aristides. If anyone does buy this guitar, the Schecter sgr-1c case isn't the best fit.

Damn...that's a shame. I got lucky with my Tao 8 I feel. Some extremely minor QC issues, but it plays and sounds fantastic.

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score

Low-key embarassed I misidentified my MK1 for a MK2. I blame this on Keith for having so many generations.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I literally just shipped this guitar back to the place I purchased it from today. It's a great guitar, well built, and sounds amazing IMO. No flimsy neck issues like the video of the Legacy in this thread. However, it took a beating during shipping. Same thing happened to the first Tao-7 I received. Now, I'm debating whether to roll the dice with a replacement or spend a little more on a Mayones or Aristides. If anyone buys this guitar, the Schecter sgr-1c case isn't the best fit.

I want this model of the mkiii, so sad to hear but the sgr1c case fits my lambo green version perfectly.

')