Schecter KM 7 vs. ESP LTD H 1007

esskater770

Reaction score
Looking to get a new 7 string. I originally wanted an Ibanez Iron Label RG Exotic, but after further research I am torn between the KM7 and the LTD.

The main differences are the pickups.
KM7 - Seymour Duncan Nazgul and Sentient.
LTD - EMG 81-7 and EMG 707.

Basically, Actives vs. Passives. I know this is personal preference, but I really am not sure. I've never even played actives before, and I like the dynamic range you can get on PAssives. However, I play metal and hear you cant beat the beefiness of actives.

Also, the scale on the Schecter is 26.5 vs 25.5 on the LTD. Not a HUGE issue for me.

Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
I would personally go for the KM-7, as
A. The scale length could help keep the tension good with not-too-large strings, and would help if you wanted to tune to, say, Drop Ab.
B. Ebony board could be considered a plus if you prefer Ebony to Rosewood

C. Better pickups IMO, being passive should allow for more clarity and dynamics while still keeping the brutality for metal (The nazgul/sentient set was designed for metal basically)

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
The KM7 also has stainless steel frets, which are ridiculously long lasting. I'm rocking a Nazgul/Sentient set in a 25.5" RG, and I think they're pretty good. I think I prefer a regular Jazz in the neck over the Sentient (really a Jazz/59 hybrid pup) but I wouldnt say no to a guitar with one by any means! The Nazgul is a pretty damn cool bridge pup though. Maybe a little too hot to clean up amazingly, but the cleans are serviceable. When things get dirty though, it really shines, staying tight, clear, and thick all the freaking time. It'll cover a lot of ground for metal and hard rock styles.

Having lived with a baritone 6 and a standard scale 7 I much prefer the added tension and lighter strings and lower tunings that the baritone scale allows. Those stainless steel frets are big plus too - less maintenance means more playing!

Overall, I'd take the Schecter. Nothing wrong with the ESP, but since the diamond series Schecters and the LTD Deluxes are literally made by the same people, the specs on the KM are too good to pass up.

Edit: I haven't played a guitar with an 81-7, but the 707s aren't bad at all. Very thick and smooth, but extremely hot, and turning down the volume doesn't really change the character of the pups as much as with many passives. Killer for driving amp that doesn't eat and breath "teh brootz", but does dabble in int. This is very much a personal preference thing, but if I needed clarity or to be able to clean things up I'd take the Duncans, as I found them to be much more versatile. They're still a ballsy metal pickup, but they won't ever feel "stuck" with a sound with them.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
I have an ESP LTD EC-407 7, which is almost the exact same guitar. Same body, fretboard, pickups. I'm selling it and getting a JL-7, which is basically the same as the KM-7 save for the fretboard and pups. I don't dislike my ESP per se, but I find the mahogany body is too dark for me and the 81-7 is just not a great pickup. The low end is sort of muddy and the high end is too harsh for my taste. You could swap the 81-7 and 707 out, but at that point you're going to be spending as much as you would to get a KM-7, which has better pickups built in and more interesting body and fretboard woods (swamp ash and ebony, respectively). If you're willing to spend the money, my vote is definitely in favor of the KM-7.

Here's my favorite tone I've coaxed out out of my ESP, with a standard tube screamer/5150 ii sim/V30 off-axis impulse:

https://soundcloud.com/hes-dead-jim/palisades-tse-x50-v2-sd20

Skip to 1:00 or so. Compare it to the KM-7 videos floating around here and you'll definitely notice the Schecter is clearer, not nearly as compressed, and easier to distinguish in the mix. It's not quite as br00tal in the high end, but I prefer that.

Latest posts