Schecter KM-7 VS Washburn PXM27EC

grilla

Reaction score
hey guys, I'm digging both of these guitars. They are both very close in price (the Schecter is about $140 more).

I never played either... no dealers in the area so it's a blind purchase for me.

I live the look of the Washburn and the fact that it's a little cheaper helps.

The Schecter seems to have better components like SS frets and SD pickups... but I don't like the look as much.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? other models that are similar that you would suggest?

Here are the specs
Washburn PXM27EC
Body Type Doublecut
Left-/Right-handed Right-handed
Number of Strings 7
Body Material Alder
Body Finish Polyurethane
Color Carbon Black
Neck Material Maple, Set
Neck Shape Thin
Scale Length 25.5
Fingerboard Material Ebony
Fingerboard Inlay Parallaxe at 12th fret
Number of Frets 24 super jumbo
Bridge/Tailpiece Tune-o-matic with string-through body bridge
Tuners Grover 18:1 tuners
Number of Pickups 2
Neck Pickup EMG 707 humbucker
Middle Pickup No middle pickup
Bridge Pickup EMG 707 humbucker
Controls 1 x volume, 1 x tone, 3-way pickup selector
Strings D'Addario XL-120, (.010-.056)
14020112-front-large.jpg

Schecter KM-7

Body Type C
Left-/Right-handed Right-handed
Number of Strings 7
Body Material Swamp Ash
Top Material Flame maple
Body Finish Satin
Color Black Burst
Neck Material 3-Piece Maple, Set-Neck
Neck Shape Ultra Thin C
Scale Length 26.5"
Fingerboard Material Ebony, 12-16" Radius
Fingerboard Inlay Offset/Reverse Dots
Number of Frets 24, X-Jumbo
Nut Width 1.889"
Bridge/Tailpiece Hipshot Hardtail with String Thru Body
Tuners Schecter Locking
Number of Pickups 2
Neck Pickup Seymour Duncan Sentient Humbucker
MIddle Pickup No Middle Pickup
Bridge Pickup Seymour Duncan Nazgul Humbucker
Controls 1 x Volume (Push-Pull), 3-Way Switch
Strings Erinie Ball, 7-String, (.009-.062)
Case Included No Case Included
W14101295-front-large.jpg

:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDraeg

Reaction score
I personally dislike TOM bridges, and I prefer having the volume knob completely out of the way- so the KM7 wins for me. But if these features don't mean much to you, its a tougher call.
Such horrible dilemmas we have around here..

grilla

Reaction score
Good call on the vol knob.

Any thoughts on the buzz feiten tuning system the Washburn comes with? Or is it just a gimmick.

I know FML ... Which badass guitar to get...

I personally dislike TOM bridges, and I prefer having the volume knob completely out of the way- so the KM7 wins for me. But if these features don't mean much to you, its a tougher call.
Such horrible dilemmas we have around here..

07adams88

Reaction score
I can't really say anything against the washburn because I have never played it but... I do own the KM-7 and that pic doesn't do it justice. It looks way better when you see it in person and it plays beautifully. The neck is nice and the pick ups have a great tone on my dual rec. I didn't think I would like the hipshot bridge but it is actually very comfortable. All in all, I can't say that I have found a single thing that I don't like about it!

http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/07adams88/media/20141109_072243.jpg.html
http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/07adams88/media/20141109_072252.jpg.html
http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/07adams88/media/20141114_233328.jpg.html
http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/07adams88/media/20141109_072215.jpg.html

"Donkey Punch" and "The Crusade" are both on the KM7. (ignore the terrible sounding lead tracks. I got interrupted in the middle of trying different tones x.x)
KM7> Wompler Ego Comp.> TS9> Decimator II> Dual Rec.
FX Chain- MXR 10 band EQ

https://soundcloud.com/j_t_mp

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the lowest tuning you think you will use? If you tune to Drop G or lower you will appreciate the extra tension the 26.5 scale of the KM-7 provides. Not to say you couldn't use heavier strings on a 25.5 scale, but at some point clarity and intonation become an issue.

Aside from that, the other specs are mainly preference (passive vs. active pickups, Hipshot vs. Tune-o-Matic, etc)

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
KM7 for lots of reasons, with scale being at the top
The buzz feiten tuning is legit though, great feature

SandyRavage

Reaction score
As a huge washburn fan the KM7 wins in every aspect and destroys every guitar in its price range by a long shot.

Buzz feiten is nice, but it's just a compensated nut and makes a very subtle difference in tuning and intonation if that's holding you back you can always retro fit for Earvana which is literally the same thing and shouldnt cost very much money.

Although I do prefer the shape of the washburn aesthetically what matters is playability and the hipshot and stainless pretty much make it worth it without taking the pickups, neck profile (which is fabulous), scale length, etc into consideration.

It's your choice mine would be the KM

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score
I own a guitar w Tonepros and active routes for the pickups, swapped em out for duncan passives, was a little bit of work though.
Depends what your preferences are but its better to try one out before you make the decision if you get the chance. I have a different guitar that is a 26.5 scale with hipshot bridge. I never had comfort issues with the Tonepros, but the "sweet spot" is definitely different on the hipshot. For a 7 string a regular 25.5 is ok but from my experience I like 26.5 more and think that it's ideal scale length for 7s.
They're both great guitars but imo KM7 definitely has better stock specs and although my 26.5/Hipshot guitar description sounds similar, I don't own a KM7.
I have played one though, and it's really awesome so see if you can find one and try it out first.

IbbyAddict

Reaction score
although it comes down to personal preference, the km7 wins in terms of cosmetics, looks awesome, and the washburn is just another all-matte black guitar. i dont know what you like in a pickup but overall the SDs win over the EMGs, The km7 has stainless steel frets vs the washburn's silver nickel frets. Stainless steel frets make a huge difference to the playability IMO.
KM is Made in Korea vs the Washburn which is made in Indonesia i believe. Korea is better factory with better parts, QC, and overall the build quality will be a lot better. I would go for the KM

SPLAWN2187

Reaction score
I've played both and I would def go for the KM7. The Washburn just felt cheaper in comparison. The KM7 has a neck that plays like butter, the neck profile is a big improvement over their previous 7 string models. Plus as mentioned above the scale difference is noticeable. The low string on the PXM27EC was muddy, and drop A was just silly, but that seems to be the common denominator with 25.5 (unless you like a .70 on the bottom) imo.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I'd go KM-7 most likely.

Like your soundcloud jams. Pretty cool.

grilla

Reaction score
Thanks again guys seems like there is a lot of love for the KM-7

After doing some more scouring of the web I learned that for a little more money I can get a semi custom guitar from Carvin made in the USA.

So I went for it! I'm getting a SCB7 with:
hipshot bridge
Black limba body
5 pc maple neck with black limba stripes
ebony neck
medium jumbo stainless steel frets
locking tuners
high output passive pickups
tung oil finish... gonna look sick!

They said it should take 8-9 weeks... I'll definitely post when I get it in

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice specs. Look forward to seeing some pics when you get it. I love black limba.

')