Schecter km7 FR Buzzing past 10th fret

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Hello. I’ve got one of the km7’s in lambo green with an FR. I changed the strings on it to one gauge up (from .09’s which were stock to .10’s tuning 1 step down from stock) and started buzzing very badly across the finger board from the 9th-10th fret up the rest of the neck. I’ve tried adjusting relief and action, which are both pretty high as of now, and it’s still buzzing/dying out pretty bad. Other than taking it to a shop, what insight to the issue does everyone have? Could the relief be too high (it was between .5-.75mm around the 8th fret)? I should add that I’ve pretty much resolved to taking it into a shop. I’m just curious as to what caused the caused.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
The symptoms you describe are typical of a guitar with too much relief, which is also consistent with going up a gauge without adjusting relief. However, that might not be your only problem.

0.25mm should be what you're aiming for with 10s, not 0.5-0.75mm. If you find you're buzzing with 0.25mm of relief, then it'll likely be because of some high frets as well.

Taking into a good shop is never a bad idea, but with 30 minutes and a few simple tools, you could check yourself. A capo, trussrod wrench and feeler gauge (or a suitably-thin business card) to check relief and a fret rocker for high frets. However, finding high frets and fixing them are two very different things and unless you're a luthier, I'd hand high frets over to a luthier to fix.

')