Schecter km7-mkii Low B tuning issue

• Thread starter Monsieur_Absurd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted a while ago but am still have this issue.

I have a Schecter KM-7 MKII and am having an issue with the low B string. It will say its in tune, no matter what tuner I use, but always sounds sharp when played open or fretted (compared to the other strings) I always have to de-tune it down a little until it sounds right. Also, it seems to not be in tune with itself as it will say it's in tune open, but the 12th harmonic is slightly flat.

This is a 26.5" scale guitar and I currently use 9-48 with a 60 for the low B and play in standard tuning. I've tried a 58, 60, and 62 gauge and they all have the same issue.

The guitar is intonated properly (I believe) as it shows its in tune when plucked open and fretting the 12th fret, but again the 12 fret harmonic actually shows a little flat... Any clue on whats going on or how to fix this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar4tw

Reaction score
Yes, sounds like the nut could be improperly cut. Check the tuning when fretting the first, second and third frets. Is it sharp on these frets while the open string is in tune?

Also, remember that if you pick hard, you will need to tune for attack - moreso on the heavier strings. When you pick the string with force it will bounce and be sharp for a while before settling. If you tune while plucking it lightly, and tuning for how it sustains, it will be constantly out of tune (sharp) when you're riffing.

It pays off to be very thorough and patient while intonating. Pluck the open string and the 12'th many times in succession with force approximating how you normally play, and see how the tuner reacts to both over the course of several plucks. This will you give you a picture of how well intonated it really is, because even when it looks to be "in the green" after one or two plucks of the string, doing this multiple times can reveal that the fretted string still is very slightly sharp or flat, which gives you the information you need to adjust the saddles slightly and correct it. Nothing feels better than a properly intonated guitar.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, sounds like the nut could be improperly cut. Check the tuning when fretting the first, second and third frets. Is it sharp on these frets while the open string is in tune?

Also, remember that if you pick hard, you will need to tune for attack - moreso on the heavier strings. When you pick the string with force it will bounce and be sharp for a while before settling. If you tune while plucking it lightly, and tuning for how it sustains, it will be constantly out of tune (sharp) when you're riffing.

It pays off to be very thorough and patient while intonating. Pluck the open string and the 12'th many times in succession with force approximating how you normally play, and see how the tuner reacts to both over the course of several plucks. This will you give you a picture of how well intonated it really is, because even when it looks to be "in the green" after one or two plucks of the string, doing this multiple times can reveal that the fretted string still is very slightly sharp or flat, which gives you the information you need to adjust the saddles slightly and correct it. Nothing feels better than a properly intonated guitar.

Yes, it's sharp all across the board. Fretted (any fret) and open relative to the other strings, even though the tuner says it's in tune. I'm thinking it's the nut now too. It's an Ernie Ball comensated nut. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

zarg

Reaction score
Yes, it's sharp all across the board. Fretted (any fret) and open relative to the other strings, even though the tuner says it's in tune. I'm thinking it's the nut now too. It's an Ernie Ball comensated nut. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

did you fit that nut yourself or has it actually been filed to match your guitar? The nutslots should be filed down for correct action at the first fret.

Reaction score
did you fit that nut yourself or has it actually been filed to match your guitar? The nutslots should be filed down for correct action at the first fret.
It came stock with the guitar so I didn't do anything to it. The only thing I did was try different guages. 58, 60, and 62. All had the same issue.

Reaction score
Don't know how much this matters, but I have a KM7 which came with Keith's gauges (which I believe include a 62 for low-B). The nut seems to be cut for the 62, and I found it nigh impossible to use a lighter gauge string that came with a standard seven-string set (I think for reasons zarg covered above).

elkoki

Reaction score

Hey man I have the exact same problem on my Schecter, it also has the Ernie Ball compensated nut. I have found that the nut is kind of low so that may be the problem. Haven't gotten around to getting it fixed. I'm using 10-59 on standard, but intonation was off on the thicker stock strings as well, I thought changing them would help but the problem remained. I should try some new 9-62's soon. That might help I guess.

')