Schecter Masterworks experience/results

• Thread starter yan12
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ignoramus

Reaction score
HNGD. As much as I like the blingy PRS tops, this subdued finish totally works.

Are those Tom Anderson pickups?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yan12

Reaction score
HNGD. As much as I like the blingy PRS tops, this subdued finish totally works.

Are those Tom Anderson pickups?

No, the are Schecter USA pickups. I wanted to keep this guitar all Schecter, and pickups are the one thing that is easy to change. I have found them to be real sleepers if you like passive pickups. I have tried them all and think most of them are outstanding...better than good. This has a San Andreas in the bridge and Monstertone stack in the neck and they split with the volume. All Schecter pickups tend to clean up with the volume down really well...not quite Lundgren M6 clean, but for my style of play they do great.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Super precise execution. I wanted a very clean look to the guitar. Here is a better pic of the flame.

View attachment 94433
damn that's like one of the only really good examples of trans white over flamed maple I've ever seen. I can't think of the last time I saw one that didn't obscure the figure of the wood a fair bit.

HNgD

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Bravo with the reverse slant in the neck pickup, people should do that way more often than they do. Beautiful instrument all around!

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Really cool finish! Schecter USA (especially masterworks) make some amazing instruments HNGD

yan12

Reaction score
The finish is something that we talked about quite a bit. Trans white is a bit tricky and I think it looks better on flame than quilt. I also did not want the flame to be stained too dark as then it starts to become more charcoal-ish and more common looking. Schecter has a great man working there, Jose, that did the finish for me. I also think a satin finish helps achieve the effect.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
BouncyHonorableEnglishpointer-max-1mb.gif

yan12

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies on this guitar. It seems like folks are really digging the finish, as am I.
Playing it constantly for the past week I really feel like it is perfect for me, especially the neck profile. Having no fingerprints all over it is also a benefit. I will post a few more pics as time permits.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
The body looks like it's made out of a fluffy little white cloud!!! Fantastic looking guitar :D

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never have spec'ed out a guitar like that myself, but damn that's a beautiful instrument! :wub:

Musiscience

Reaction score
This is insanely nice, what a cool build. This is one of, if not the best, trans-white top I have seen.

Happy NGD!

laxu

Reaction score
So how much do the Schecter customs cost?

yan12

Reaction score
Laxu,
Schecter custom shop USA guitars are a steal on the used market. That line of guitars is CNC and finished by hand, just like ESP USA guitars...they are flawless. New prices depend on what model and appointments you choose. Schecter can take production current production models and mod them to a degree. I have purchased USA custom shops for as cheap as $1200 used and new ones can get near $4k for really tricked out stuff.

Masterworks guitars are hand built only. There is no CNC on this guitar, which is hard to believe. I am fortunate enough to own or have owned some exquisite guitars, and these hand built guitars are as perfect as any CNC built guitar. But it does cost more.

How much really depends on what you are building. I gave Schecter every single detail I wanted, and in reality I could have ordered a CNC California Custom Elite with trans white finish on flame and saved some money...EXCEPT.

I wanted a reverse slant neck pickup, 24 frets, scalloped 17-24, pearl tuner buttons, and of course that large neck with a 12" radius. I also wanted Jesscar SS 58-110 wire, lumilay side dots, staggered 6mm black pearl dots on a SLAB of birdseye for the board, and a 3-pc laminate maple neck finished at 2000 grit...as smooth as possible. Also direct mount pickups, no pickup ring on the bridge. Also one volume, no tone, and placed on the guitar exactly where I marked a mock up body.

These features made my order fall into the Masterworks category. I also chose the top from about 30 billets they showed me, and it is almost 1/2" thick. I ordered it through Jason at DCGL and it took 17 months in this covid world. Worth every penny to me.

Zado

Reaction score
Absolute stunner mate, I like it a lot. The finish looks great and the rounded body shape (at least it looks rounder than a usual Trad) makes it even cooler. Kudos!

Latest posts

')