Schecter Omen 8 !

• Thread starter Tristoner7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarchitect

Reaction score
I just got this in the mail last night. I gotta say - In short - it's pretty amazing what $399 gets you for a guitar.

Not the best instrument I ever played - but surprisingly solid. The neck is not that baseball bat-ish. Even has a wrist and a belly cut and the schecter tuners are stable. My only thoughts are:

1. at 26.5" the Low F# is REALLY floppy If you're going with this tuning - you probably want an Agile.

2. The pickups are very ho hum.

Should have a review, pics and some mp3s up soon. But if anyone is stil looking for one and has specific questions - I can try to answer them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
My Omen-7 wasn't very baseball bat-ish either. The 8 looks awesome

7StrNgWizRd

Reaction score
oh my god this looks awesome and for so god damn cheap, cheaper than agile.
I think we have a new budget winner here...
I have the Schecter Hellraiser 7string and the neck is like a Louisville slugger. I can't imagine what the 8 string will be like. Have you tried out the Ibanez 8 string yet? Not too bad

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
I have the Schecter Hellraiser 7string and the neck is like a Louisville slugger. I can't imagine what the 8 string will be like. Have you tried out the Ibanez 8 string yet? Not too bad
Those are the kind of necks I enjoy.

Guitarchitect

Reaction score
The string comment is fair - I think it ships with like a .69 or .7. I wanted to go with the high A anyways to extend the range on both sides - so it wasn't that much of an issue.

How is the volume balance with a .8 and the other strings? I imagine it pushes a lot of sound - but I' wondering if slanting the pickup/Eq would balance the volume?

Thanks!

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Schecter's standard 8-string set is: .10 .13 .17 .30 .42 .54 .64 .74

For my tastes, the low F# is much too light, and overall the tension is uneven and really unpleasant. I've got my Damien Elite strung up: .10 .13 .17 .26 .36 .46 .62 .80 (basically a standard .10 set + the .62 used in D'Addario's Baritone Light set, and the .80). Much more even across the board, and fixed just about every playability issue I'd had with the guitar when I got it.

Guitarchitect

Reaction score
Thanks for the tensions!

To be honest - the strings were the first thing I changed - so I don't remember what it shipped with - but from my memory of how all over the place the tension felt string to string - this seems right.

It's odd - because I know that GHS was being used for strings at one point but mine came with a little D'Addario tag on the strings.

Having used the 7 string set - I think the .059 is a little too floppy for the low B. I'm using a .063 for the B. and that works much better. I'd imagine you'd need at least a .08 for the low F#. They should make an ERG set with more balanced tensions.

Tegara

Surgical
Reaction score
Schecter's standard 8-string set is: .10 .13 .17 .30 .42 .54 .64 .74

For my tastes, the low F# is much too light, and overall the tension is uneven and really unpleasant. I've got my Damien Elite strung up: .10 .13 .17 .26 .36 .46 .62 .80 (basically a standard .10 set + the .62 used in D'Addario's Baritone Light set, and the .80). Much more even across the board, and fixed just about every playability issue I'd had with the guitar when I got it.

Excuse me while I bump the topic.

I'm buying Schecter Omen 8 soon. I'm pretty much a newbie with guitars so don't laugh when I ask that is it ok if I buy single .62 and .80 strings (along with the standard 10 set you mentioned) so I won't have to buy a whole Baritone set because of that particular .62? There's no difference?

')