Schecter Owners/Fans Step Inside

• Thread starter Hoss632
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok so. I currently own a C-1 platinum. Solid guitar, especially considering I got it for 399 new during GC's guitarathon about 2 years ago. Definitely won't get rid of it. Of late I have been inquiring a lot about upgrading it and still plan to do so. That said I am also at the point to where I am ready to get a higher end guitar. And I have looked at so many guitars my head is spinning. Even have and still might down the road try a custom Kiesel. All that aside no matter what I keep coming back to Schecter. Something about them just feels like home when I play the various models that I have. So with that said I'd like some opinions. The 3 models I've narrowed it down to would be a KM-6 Hybrid in white, a KM-6 artist and a Banshee mach 6. The hybrid is the most different of the 2 since it's a mahogany body and the other 2 are swamp ash. But I'd like to know what folks think of these 3 guitars. which one would you choose and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
What do you mean by 'higher end'? Do you mean 'higher spec' or 'build-quality'?

Technically speaking, you wont be getting much better build quality if you simply get another made in Korea Schecter. You will be getting some (potentially) 'better' or more exotic and expensive specs (wood species and hardware), but you you're not really getting better build-quality. Maybe marginally better, but nothing that significant.

If you want better quality materials (quality of wood) and build-quality then you can go for a USA Schecter.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Definitely agree, Schecter is kind of competing with itself when it comes to their top tier Diamond Series. You can find USA stuff in the same price range, although it's not going to be the same super modern metal oriented stuff.

As for the guitars you mention OP, I'd say if all else is equal then focus on which one has pickups you like more. The Fishmans and the Lundgrens definitely both have strong characters and could be a love it or hate it kind of thing.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What do you mean by 'higher end'? Do you mean 'higher spec' or 'build-quality'?

Technically speaking, you wont be getting much better build quality if you simply get another made in Korea Schecter. You will be getting some (potentially) 'better' or more exotic and expensive specs (wood species and hardware), but you you're not really getting better build-quality. Maybe marginally better, but nothing that significant.

If you want better quality materials (quality of wood) and build-quality then you can go for a USA Schecter.
C-1 platinum is an indonesian guitar so I won't be getting another Korean made piece. And to me it will be quite an upgrade in quality IMO from what I have now.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely agree, Schecter is kind of competing with itself when it comes to their top tier Diamond Series. You can find USA stuff in the same price range, although it's not going to be the same super modern metal oriented stuff.

As for the guitars you mention OP, I'd say if all else is equal then focus on which one has pickups you like more. The Fishmans and the Lundgrens definitely both have strong characters and could be a love it or hate it kind of thing.
I have looked at some of the USA stuff that is available at various retailers. Just nothing there that really caught my eye and at that point I'd just spec out a Kiesel most likely. For the 3 high end korean models though. My only reservation is actually the wenge neck on the merrow artist model. I've never played a wenge neck. I understand it's open pore and probably not say as smooth as roasted maple. But folks love how it feels. Closest thing I have to compare is i played an Ibanez S axion label with a panga-panga neck and that felt terrible.

mbardu

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with going for a good Korean import Schecter. There have been a few duds (after all, they're produced in volumes), but a lot of recent ones have been very very good and you are likely to get an objectively perfectly high quality instrument. Actually for even less $$$, I'd recommend the older Banshee elite or KM6 Mark ii over the 3 above - or if possible one of the 40th Anniversary models, but those are hard to come by.
Not saying I still wouldn't recommend going for something like Kiesel if you want to spec it out exactly how you want it or a Schecter USA if you find a unique one from a dealer. But that doesn't sound like it applies to you.

Wenge does feel a little bit porous. Some people love it (my favs are thin oiled walnut or wenge necks), some people hate it. And by the way, if you don't like sometimes it might be because a particular guitar has not been properly taken care of. In any case, Schecter's satin finish on those is not the thinnest around, so it is only a fairly slight feeling (compared to, say a grainy walnut with thin oil finish), but it's there and not that far off from those Ibanezes.

Last edited:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with going for a good Korean import Schecter. There have been a few duds (after all, they're produced in volumes), but a lot of recent ones have been very very good and you are likely to get an objectively perfectly high quality instrument. Actually for even less $$$, I'd recommend the older Banshee elite or KM6 Mark ii over the 3 above - or if possible one of the 40th Anniversary models, but those are hard to come by.
Not saying I still wouldn't recommend going for something like Kiesel if you want to spec it out exactly how you want it or a Schecter USA if you find a unique one from a dealer. But that doesn't sound like it applies to you.

Wenge does feel a little bit porous. Some people love it (my favs are thin oiled walnut or wenge necks), some people hate it. And by the way, if you don't like sometimes it might be because a particular guitar has not been properly taken care of. In any case, Schecter's satin finish on those is not the thinnest around, so it is only a fairly slight feeling (compared to, say a grainy walnut with thin oil finish), but it's there and not that far off from those Ibanezes.
The few folks I've mentioned the neck on the Ibanez to have said that it likely was a neck that wasn't done very well. I'm not sure where the axion label is made. But I also look at is as if I don't necessarily want to try the wenge neck on the artist I can go with the hybrid as that has a satin painted neck which I know Schecter's are done well as my C-1 is a painted satin finished maple neck as well.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
C-1 platinum is an indonesian guitar so I won't be getting another Korean made piece. And to me it will be quite an upgrade in quality IMO from what I have now.

Interesting. All the C-1 Platinum's I've seen have been Korean. What year is yours?

Either way, I still stand by my previous answer to some degree, the quality improvement will be noticeable but it probably wont be a large difference in build-quality. Some Indo Schecter's I've played have been just as good as Korean Schecter's, and some haven't, I guess it depends on your particular guitar.

With that said, I say pick whichever guitar is most interesting to you aesthetically and which pickups you prefer. For me, I'd probably grab the KM-6 mk III Artist because of the neck woods.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Interesting. All the C-1 Platinum's I've seen have been Korean. What year is yours?

Either way, I still stand by my previous answer to some degree, the quality improvement will be noticeable but it probably wont be a large difference in build-quality. Some Indo Schecter's I've played have been just as good as Korean Schecter's, and some haven't, I guess it depends on your particular guitar.

With that said, I say pick whichever guitar is most interesting to you aesthetically and which pickups you prefer. For me, I'd probably grab the KM-6 mk III Artist because of the neck woods.
I got mine new in 2018 if I remember correctly. When I get home from work I'll look at the headstock, but I thought it said Indonesia on it. If not I'll humbly apologize for being wrong. Thank you though for the advice. If I'm lucky enough to be able to find an artist to try out before I make a decision that will help me. Otherwise I'll probably lean towards the mach 6 because I know I like roasted maple.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I got mine new in 2018 if I remember correctly. When I get home from work I'll look at the headstock, but I thought it said Indonesia on it. If not I'll humbly apologize for being wrong. Thank you though for the advice. If I'm lucky enough to be able to find an artist to try out before I make a decision that will help me. Otherwise I'll probably lean towards the mach 6 because I know I like roasted maple.

Yeah keep us updated!

Yeah the Banshee Mach 6 would be my close second. Roasted maple is great for sure, very stable in changing climates, from my experience with a couple roasted maple neck guitars.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow. Big part of me is wondering why they don't bring a lot of those guitars stateside. Quite a few in there that I really like. I'd be curious to see how much shipping would cost to the U.S.

Shask

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that all those Schecter models you mentioned are gonna have much thinner necks than your Schecter.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that all those Schecter models you mentioned are gonna have much thinner necks than your Schecter.
True. I have played a cr6 pro that has the ultra thin c. Little thinner than I prefer but still really comfortable to play.

Last edited:

mbardu

Reaction score
Schecter Japan is up there with the best in terms of quality (only thing they're missing is stainless steel frets), and for better or for worse they offer mostly bolt-on superstrats. They seem to have a real Anderson feel, which is pretty high praise. There's not a lot of overlap with the Diamond Series import stuff, but a little bit more with the bulk of Shechter USA guitars, so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to have them imported (they'd hardly be cheaper if at all, and be in competition with the USA bolt-ons).

In general, getting something from Japan is between 100 to 200 bucks - plus taxes and duties if you're not lucky.
You can sometimes find pretty nice deals on Reverb.

Ignoramus

Reaction score

I picked up a C-1 Platinum late last year. Mine is Korean-made fwiw. As far as a mod, I moved the 85 to the bridge and got a used 60 for the neck. Such a great player and now with the tone I wanted.

I'm actually hooked on the latest iteration of the Blackjack Solo II singlecut. The specs on that thing are simply amazing for the $.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I picked up a C-1 Platinum late last year. Mine is Korean-made fwiw. As far as a mod, I moved the 85 to the bridge and got a used 60 for the neck. Such a great player and now with the tone I wanted.

I'm actually hooked on the latest iteration of the Blackjack Solo II singlecut. The specs on that thing are simply amazing for the $.
So far part of what I've done was swap the 85 to the bridge and put the 81 in the neck. I'm likely going to swap to a set of retro actives down the road and leave it be.

Latest posts

')