Score! .. Got a great deal on...

• Thread starter controversyking
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lord_Elixer

I am weasel!
Reaction score
My friend wanted to learn guitar (His father is rich and he is spoiled rotten) ... He bought a JS1000wh, broke the bridge and gave it to me for free.
Still not fixed, but I take it out of its case to admire it almost daily :-D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice bump, forgot about this thread.

If Matt sees it, he's going to pwn everyone's stories because I've heard some doosies this past year from him :lol:

snuif09

Reaction score
imo getting a DC-5 here with a fresh set of tubes and bit damaged tolex for 800euros is a steal they mostly sell for 950 euros with the standard tubes so i was happy with that =).

Bevo

Reaction score
I am a property manager for offices and one day this tenant moves out, we had to clean out the storage room.
Got me a Randall RH150 head for free.

Just got my dual rec for $900, that was good for me?

GeoMantic

Reaction score
A few years ago I got my Jackson SL3 for about $650 off of a guy that had 64 guitars, and his wife was making him get rid of some. That retails for about $1000 now, I'm not entirely sure.

And I recently got a Carvin V3 212 Combo for about $700 because someone had ordered it and sent it back, and they couldn't call it "new" anymore. It retails for a little over $1000

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Yep, score and a half, just have to know what you're looking for and pray that the GC employees have no idea what they're doing.

Was that the GC in Fairfax? I know I've said this in other threads, but that's a great location. I get stuff there all the time.

I hate the chain, but that location is TITS. Those guys *always* treat me respectfully, and *always* hook me up with post-sticker discounts.

Surprisingly, most of them seem to know their shit, too. I think a lot of their theoretical responses to general inquiries depend greatly upon who is making the inquiry. When I bought an Ibanez in there recently, one of the guys *definitely* knew his Ibanezes as well or better than some of the nerds on this forum, and did a full set up on the one I purchased without my asking for it, right there on the spot. :yesway:

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score
Got a 7621MBOL that had been stripped and reoiled off of ebay in GREAT condition for just over 500 bucks
Ibanez RG7420 that was stripped and stained/coated with a Warwick flight case for 390
Peavey 5150 cab in great condition, just missing the logo plate, for 200
Engl Straight 100 (late 80s/early 90s prototype) for 500 on eBay
Sunn Beta Bass lead for 250, and it looks brand spankin' new
Fender TC90 for 475 shipped
EHX SMMH for 140 shipped
Vader 412 for 500 that I found on craigslist when I was on vacation in FL :)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
- I got my Mesa Mark III for $700 bucks and it's slightly modded
- Paid $250 for a practically brand new Avatar 2x12 (Traditional I believe) with V-30's
- Uncle Lee (eelblack) was kind enough to send me a Gibson Goth LP for my 19th birthday (unknown to him at the time)

I do very little gear whoring especially where I'm on bi-weekly pay at minimum wage, but I waited and found good gear that would fulfill my needs at prices I could afford

natspotats

Reaction score
i got my ibanez rgt42fxqm for 400 dollars in like new condition with new dimarzio super distortion and paf pro

groph

Reaction score
I probably already posted in this thread since it's old, but what the hell.

Jackson DKMGT for $475 CAD. $1069 MRSP, and I went splits with my dad so I only really paid ~$250 for it.

BC Rich Platinum Warlock - $200. Not fantastically expensive guitars, and this one's pretty old and well used, but $200 for an obnoxious red Warlock that's not a Bronze? Yes please.

Randall RM100 - $900 CAD. Came fully loaded with Treadplate, Clean, and Ultra modules, each valued at around $200 a pop, while the chassis alone is a grand easily.

Moral of the story, NEVER pay full price for gear.

Nick1

Reaction score
My first guitar I paid $1.00 for.

It was a Kent. Got it from my friend. It has 1 single coil pickup in the middle position only. Plastic LP style bridge. Very sharp fret ends, the 2nd and 5th tuners fell off the headstock when restringing once so I just put the 2nd string and the 3rd string on the 3rds tuner and the 5th and 6th string on the 6ths tuner. I still have it actually.

Reaction score
I was dragged to an auction in a barn with the inlaws one night which had mostly dead peoples estate funiture and shit......found a box full of vintage rack stuff, sound modules for keyboards and mics.......got it for $17.......sold it all separately for a little more than $1600 after shipping and ebay fees. Hello matching VHT 2x12s:hbang:

Reaction score
My first high end guitar, I got from a store about an hour from me. I was a Big BC Rich nut at the time, wielding my NJ Warlock. When I walked in the first thing I spotted was a 1987 USA Handmade Gunslinger, with Gotoh Floyd Rose, slanted EMG 81, grovers, and this badass 80s paintjob. It had some dings, but it gave it character. I immediately picked it up and asked to plug it in. It was a Killer player, and the alder/maple combo screamed in that axe. I was poor and 16 at the time, but for shits and giggles I asked how much it was (no price tag). The guy vanished for about 10 minutes....when he came back he said "We can do $175 and it comes with a case". My jaw hit the fucking floor.

SSK0909

Reaction score
I bought an Engl Screamer combo for about 100$. Special new years price at the local store.
Traded it for a Marshall 6100lm head. Traded the Marshall for a Peavey XXX. Traded the Peavey for a Vetta II. Traded the Vetta for a Krank Revolution. Traded the Krank revolution for a Mesa Blackface Recto.

Blackface Recto = 100$ :)

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
got my rg7620 with dimarzio blaze customs and an ibanez case for 250.00
when i got my 7621 it was a funny story. he wanted 200.00, i emailed him and said i wanted it. he lives in columbus and i live in cinci so it was a few hours drive. the next day he emailed me and said he sold it to a local but had 2 of them and he would sell me the other for 100 bux. i saod ok. i asked him what the pup routes looked like, he said triangles. i asked him if it had a barrel jack or a rugular jack he said, huh thats weird i never noticed that before. i said what. he said yes it does have a barrel jack but no binding like the newer one he sold. well i knew what i was getting was a 7621 and ends up what he soild the other guy for 200 was a 7321. when we finally met up he said since it had a couple dings and i had to drive to meet him he would sell it to me for 85. i told him i didnt have a 5 and bought a rg7621 for 80 bux.
snagged a silvertone tube head for 60 bux when i was a teen.
my first electric was a 1969 gibson lespaul goldtop my dad got for 150.00 from a local pawnshop. (also where the amphead came from)
got my peavey bandit 112 with the scorpion speaker for 80.00
got my ibanez rghrg1 for 500.00 :)

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
VHT Pitbull CLX in mint condition for $1500 cdn.

They retail at like $3800 USD now I think?

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
The best deals I got were:

Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo - $300 from GC.
Peavey JSX 4x12 cab (new) - $240 from GC.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I Recently got a mesa boogie subway rocket for 300 in pristine condition that i'm intending to convert into a head/mark iic+ clone :D and also a 2002 EBMM Petrucci stripped off it's hardware for around 300 ;)

')