Scrambled Eggs

• Thread starter Grand Moff Tim
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MJS

Reaction score
I do it like this... and swear the egg taste stays stronger:

I just pop the eggs into a buttered pan and cook them like I'm frying them, without breaking the yolks.

Then, flip them and cook some more.

While the yolk is still runny, but the whites are cooked, I scramble them real quickly with the spatula and barely cook them beyond that point. This part should be done quickly to mix the yolks in instead of just letting them spread in the pan and cook by themselves. I do kind of a chop-and-flip thing with the spatula which seems to mix it better than just trying to swirl them when they're that cooked.

Since the flavor seems to mostly come from the yolk, it seems like you cook out less of the flavor this way... unless you overcook them at the end, after scrambling.

I cook them as much as possible before breaking the yolks.

I don't add any milk, water, salt, etc... Nothing but butter in the pan, then I add some pepper near the end, but that's just how I like them.

I did it once by accident years ago while frying some eggs... liked it better and never pre-scrambled them again. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Since the flavor seems to mostly come from the yolk, it seems like you cook out less of the flavor this way... unless you overcook them at the end, after scrambling.

...I don't add any milk, water, salt, etc... Nothing but butter in the pan, then I add some pepper near the end, but that's just how I like them.

I can see how not cookiing the yolks would enable the flavor to spread more effciently. If you're cooking them fairly lightly, the yolk coating on the cooked white would be the first things coming in contact with your tongue.

Question: Do you use unsalted butter? If not, that can be a source of salt flavor in the finished product. That would matter if someone were to use, say, olive oil instead of butter.

I was amazed in Spain at how many things in which olive oil was used instead of butter. I have all kinds of cookbooks in Spanish which have cookies and cakes which use oil for shortening instead of butter. I would have thought that the olive oil flavor would be too strong, but it didn't come through.

MJS

Reaction score
Question: Do you use unsalted butter? If not, that can be a source of salt flavor in the finished product. That would matter if someone were to use, say, olive oil instead of butter.

I've used both, but I'm not really picky enough to notice much of a difference. I just meant that I don't add salt as a preference with eggs in general, even if they're not cooked that way. But for some reason, I do sometimes put salt on omelets.

groph

Reaction score
Wow. Definitely going to try out some of the stuff on those videos. It's nice seeing Gordon Ramsay when he's not being a raging hardass. Cooking shows are always interesting.

I've always just cracked mine into a glass, whisked them up with a fork, and then pour the whole affair into a heated pan greased with butter. I stir in crushed red peppers and fresh ground black pepper and I end up with nuclear scrambled eggs. Love spicy food, so it's great. My mom always does them with onion powder, I like a pinch of it but nothing too overpowering. I highly recommend stirring in crushed red peppers if you have them. They are fairly hot so a little might go a long way, depending on your taste. I mix in a ton because I've built up a tolerance for spice.

I can definitely see how the trick to eggs is gentle treatment and minimal "fucking with" at least in terms of heat. Next time I'm going to try doing them on low heat like the first video demonstrates. Whenever you fry eggs the trick (for me at least) is to not screw around with them. Crack them, let them sit for a minute or two, then flip them and let them sit for 30 seconds, done. Don't break up the yolk or try to form the white into a perfect circle by prodding at it constantly.

groph

Reaction score
I have tried a few of the things in the videos. My scrambled eggs have improved tenfold.

Now I whisk them in a glass still, then pour in a bit of cream. I pour the eggs into a well buttered pan on medium heat and let them sit for a minute. I bring the eggs from the sides of the pan into the middle as the whole thing starts coagulating and when most of it is in the middle, I flip large portions of the eggs rather than beating them into oblivion like I used to. The result is a much smoother texture. Definitely the best scrambled eggs I've had so far.

Tomorrow I'm going to try them the way Gordon Ramsey does them, only minus the creme fraiche (oh fuck yeah), but yeah I don't have any of that stuff laying around. I might make a sandwich out of them, actually. Next after that, I attempt the omelette.

Skyblue

Reaction score
Damn, most of the methods I see here are completely different than the ones I use :lol:

what I usually do is break the egg(s) straight into the pan, which is preheated (but kept on low temperature, don't want to eggs to cook immediately) and also oiled/ buttered. I than wait until the white part is getting slightly cooked, and then start scrambling the whole thing a bit, and then let it rest again. repeat a few more times (let it cook for a bit, then scramble) until the the egg(s) are pretty much cooked, but still slightly moist.
then consume however I feel like, usually with a bit of bread, maybe with some cheese and ham. I also season if I feel like it (it isn't ALWAYS necessary to season stuff people! taste it first, you'll might find out it tastes just great as it is right now.)

I'll give your methods a go though, sounds interesting!

Btw, I'm voting for an Eggs Megathread :metal: They're awesome enough for having their own megathread :yesway:

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
I am more inspired by the men at epic meal time, and never cook my eggs alone.
For the Shann Epic breakfast omlette for two:
Bacon. More Bacon. Actually a whole package of bacon. Seriously.
4-5 hash browns or substitute tater tots.
4-6 eggs scramble it up in a bowl.
and have the layering process be this:
has browns on bottom, then slowly pour the eggs in the pan, then put the cooked bacon on top, and finally top it off with spices and cheese (i use munster)
then either flip it around completely or flip in half. Divide into to two pieces and serve. For added awesome add too much ketchup. XD
not much on how i cook the eggs i know, but it layers perfectly, and im gonna try the milk thing later, although i dont know if i need the eggs fluffier.
I also only use organic free range grade A large brown eggs. the mother unit is a organic freak.

amarshism

Reaction score
What you wanna do is add your eggs and cream mixture to a cold pan with a knob of unsalted butter and slowly bring up the temperature while whisking. Do not add salt or pepper as your eggs will turn greyish. Continue whisking the whole time. Be mindful of the temperature as the eggs will continue to cook from residual heat. When they begin coming together add your salt and pepper and plate. Chives on top. This is how it's done in the restaurant. I made them for snoop dogs breakfast when he stayed at the hotel I used to work at.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I usually break 2 eggs into the pan, and scramble them while they cook.
I'll usually cook up a couple slices of bacon before hand and chop them up finely. When the eggs are nearly done, I toss in bacon bits, roasted red peppers, sometimes onions, a few drops of Fig's One Drop hot sauce, and enough of whatever cheese I've got lying around (I usually opt for Friulano, and if I haven't got any, the trusty old orange cheddar does it) to give it that nice melted consistency. Once that's done, I'll usually serve it up on either an english muffin, a bagel or in a wrap. Delicious :yesway:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Here's my morning egg recipe;

2 whole eggs, 1 egg white
fry/scrambled in olive oil
top with Sriracha (dat red Roosta) and avocado slices

Delicious!

')