Scratches D:

Sch-Bloodmoon

Reaction score
After taking my Schecter into an exam and then doing the performing exam as i was walking out i looked at my guitar and it had several long scratches in the back of the body. Friends of mine said it was possibly my belt buckle but the scratches are too long too have been made by a buckle. After leaving my guitar unattended during interval someone may have damaged it im unsure.

Does anyone know anyway i can remove these scratches, i understand scratches add character to some guitars but i planned on selling this guitar later on as the value increased due to it being discontinued and these scratches wont help it get sold.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If they're not too deep they should buff right out. Things like belt buckles, flys, buttons, snaps, and rivets easily cause finish damage, especially when playing. I doubt someone messed with your guitar.

As for the value "going up" on a Schecter, I highly doubt it. Even the long discontinued and rare stuff like old PTs, Celloblasters, and Devils don't go for much on the used market.

DSilence

Reaction score
I dont think the value or a Shecter will be going up too much in the near future, I have a discontinued LTD EC500 i dont plan on making any money on that lol

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
If it doesn't have the words "Fender" "Gibson" or "Paul Reed Smith" on the headstock, then you really shouldn't worry about resale value.

Kride

Idjit
Reaction score
One thing, what kind of finish is on that Schecter? If it's gloss poly and the scratches aren't too deep, it definetly can be fixed like has been posted on previous posts.

If it's matte/natural... youll have to gloss whole guitar :|
OR do what I did with my ex-Explorer Gothic

For gloss finishes
I've used this with good results, plenty of other applicable products in 'car-world' too:
Meguiar's Direct ScratchX® 2.0

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
If it doesn't have the words "Fender" "Gibson" or "Paul Reed Smith" on the headstock, then you really shouldn't worry about resale value.

And even then nowadays a lot of those 'high fetching' models are carry over from boom time followed by inflation. Adjusted prices often still bring less than what it had cost.

Sch-Bloodmoon

Reaction score
If they're not too deep they should buff right out. Things like belt buckles, flys, buttons, snaps, and rivets easily cause finish damage, especially when playing. I doubt someone messed with your guitar.

As for the value "going up" on a Schecter, I highly doubt it. Even the long discontinued and rare stuff like old PTs, Celloblasters, and Devils don't go for much on the used market.

Well i had left it in its case and when i came back from the interval it was leaning against a sort of railing surface but i wouldn't have thought that would have caused the scratches unless the guitar caused any sort of friction with the surface it was leaning on.

As for the value rising i purchased the guitar for £356 and after looking about the internet lately Ive seen the same guitar selling for at least £500.

GRUNTKOR

- GRANKOR
Reaction score
Who's buying used Schecters for £500? Maybe people are pricing them at that but if they're SELLING at that price I'd be surprised

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Who's buying used Schecters for £500? Maybe people are pricing them at that but if they're SELLING at that price I'd be surprised

This is exactly it.

To be fair, the used Market's up a little at the mo over here, but not to the point that guitars are worth more than used, and that 'up' is just relative to the recent dive last year when everyone was frantically selling their gear (and appear to be continuing to do in the USA).

We get a lot of people coming into our shop where we'll do commission sales trying to get insane prices for things (against our recommendation) because there's one on ebay for that much and they just sit in the shop and rot. People are usually willing to pay more from a shop too.

An import Schecter will never go up in value unfortunately, if you paid 365 for it and it's one of the ones I'm thinking of, it's probably worth 2-250.

')