Screwed Neck

• Thread starter abadonae
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I didn't know which section to put this in so i'm winging it with this one.

Basically i've just joined a band, haven't played live for some time now and i'm loving it. The only problem is after every gig my neck canes for like 2-4 days solid, which is not good for playing gigs one after the other.

Other than 'don't headbang' which is terrible advice can anyone advise me on a way to alleviate this pain a little?

Cheers all

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I tend to stretch a good 30 mins before our set, eat a banana and drink plenty of water.

I can headbang for a pretty good while and not feel sore the next day (not saying it's a good idea but I do it anyway...)

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score
I tend to stretch a good 30 mins before our set, eat a banana and drink plenty of water.

This is it. I tend to stretch out and do neck rolls before attending any metal show, and ESPECIALLY if you're performing at it.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
I thought you were talking about pain from just playing standing up but if you're headbanging you deserve what you get. Maybe you can take it easier instead of going as crazy as possible just use enough force to make it look good.

You could also find stage moves that dont hurt you or look as dumb..

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score
You could also find stage moves that dont hurt you or look as dumb..

Woah woah woah! Head-banging is a time honoured tradition!

As long as you prep your body for it, it won't hurt you. As to looking dumb, well, I think that popular opinion within the expansive World of Metal would be inclined to disagree with you. :fawk:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Woah woah woah! Head-banging is a time honoured tradition!

As long as you prep your body for it, it won't hurt you. As to looking dumb, well, I think that popular opinion within the expansive World of Metal would be inclined to disagree with you. :fawk:

Yup, some sections of songs i'd have to think about it to NOT headbang while playing. It's just a natural reaction to the music.

OP, still couldn't hurt to back off a bit as mentioned if you're having problems, save the really heavy bangin' for those choice parts. You look at all the old thrash guys from the 80's and most have back/neck problems from it.

samincolour

Sweaty fox.
Reaction score
We throw ourselves around the stage, headbang, jump off shit, crowdsurf, and push ourselves to the limits, yet we all go to work the next day feeling completely fine, simply because we stretch out pretty much constantly. We stretch when we get to the venue, stretch while the band before us are going through their second to last song to the last song, stretch straight after we set up and waiting for the OK from the soundguy, and then stretch again immediately afterwards with a lot of water.

Stretching is the key to it all, as well as eating healthily and keeping yourself hydrated at all times. It's a good idea to see a chiropractor or masseur from time to time just to keep your muscles and bones relaxed, headbanging forces a lot of strain on your neck and shoulder muscles and you can do some serious damage if you're not careful! If the pain is quite severe you should definitely go and see your doctor/GP just in case.

Headbang all you want, just be safe about it! :)

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
In the wise words of Columbus in Zombieland - Rule #18: Limber Up

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
Haha cheers guys, i do go a little bit mad sometimes and i could probably ease off, i just get so into the rush of playing and the music itself i can't help myself.

I've always had the same thought with playing 'people can listen to your music at home for free, if they're paying to see it live they expect a show'

Codeman

Reaction score
Believe it or not I remember a thread some time ago discussing headbanging techniques and other stage behaviour.

I recall someone mentioning moving your whole upper body instead of just banging the head, putting less strain on the neck and visually making the same effect

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score
I recall someone mentioning moving your whole upper body instead of just banging the head, putting less strain on the neck and visually making the same effect

I definitely get my back involved instead of just whipping my neck back and forth.

Most importantly, whatever way you decide to go, DON'T HEADBANG WITH YOUR KNEES!

(Only you can prevent crabcore)

:hbang:

')