Screws too long for Pickup Swap?

• Thread starter WeBowInItsAura
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WeBowInItsAura

Paranormal Entity
Reaction score
I just got a Bare Knuckle Aftermath 7 Bridge pickup to put in my Agile Septor 727. Its my first time doing a pickup install and I was a little confused as to why the screws that came with my BKP were so damn long... and same for the springs. The screws were long enough to screw THROUGH my entire guitar body. What I ended up doing was getting much smaller screws and cutting the springs down to a reasonable length which worked great. I still have been wondering if I could have somehow used those screws and springs; Am I missing something?

P.S. I did have to route out a little bit of the pickup cavity to fit the pickup in there, but I could have probably just cut the tabs on the pickups to fit as well (for anyone with an Agile Septor that is considering BKP)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rikomaru

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is a mistake being made sending the super long screws. Maybe the screws were for long-legged pickups?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Are you mounting them in rings, or direct-mounting them to the body? Ring-mounted pickups – especially in carved-top guitars with quite a bit of neck angle like Les Pauls – typically have tall rings and long legs on the humbuckers. That's the way they've always been made. Shorter legs (or completely flat base plates like DiMarzio uses on many of their models) are a more modern approach.

WeBowInItsAura

Paranormal Entity
Reaction score
Indeed I am mounting them to the body as I do not have pickup rings. Perhaps those screws were meant to be incorporated with the pickup rings and that may be why they were longer. I just wanted to make sure I have not just completely lost my mind! Thanks for your responses!

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
All pickups come with screws for rings. When direct mounting just use your stock screws. The holes in the baseplate will most likely need to be opened up a bit so the pickup height will be adjustable.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Like others have said, the long screws are for mounting with rings.

I always just get some heavy-duty wire cutters and shorten them down a bit to fit when I'm installing new pickups into a direct-mount guitar

')