SD Alpha/Omega or BKP Juggernaut

• Thread starter robski92
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SD Alpha/Omega or BKP Juggernaut

• SD Alpha/Omega

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • BKP Juggernaut

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

robski92

Reaction score
I can't decide which set I want. The guitar they will be going in is an Ibanez RG752LWFX tuned to drop F#. Currently it has a Dimarzio Dactivator/PAF set. Tonally it is a pretty bright and snappy guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I found the alpha/omega set more versatile overall. The voicing of the juggernauts doesn't sit well with me (can't stand the nasally/cocked wah esque voice they have) and they don't feel as aggressive as the omega out of the box imo. Both sets have great clarity and cleans but voicing wise the omega tends to work better for a number of genres imo. Both sets will give you spanky split sounds, with the juggs being a bit spankier due to their voicing. I found the omega tighter than the jugg bridge on the low end and it just sounds meaner too.

angl2k

Reaction score
I have the normal 752FX with Juggernauts and it's too bass heavy for me. Low B/A sounds muddy and if I turn down the bass on my amp the other strings lose a lot of punch/body.

Tried lowering the pole on the 7th string but to no luck.. I can't dial out that bass so I can't recommend Juggernauts. Haven't tried the SD's though I might swap the Jugs out for an Emerald or Black Dog set. Also keep in mind that SD have different base plate ears so you would have to file those edges.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Since it's a pretty bright and snappy guitar, would the Alpha/Omega be too thin/shrill? Something with a slightly rolled off high end might work better unless you wanted to further emphasize the qualities of the woods.

I would still vote against the Juggernauts though, as angl2k said they get pretty muddy on the low B/F#.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Since it's a pretty bright and snappy guitar, would the Alpha/Omega be too thin/shrill? Something with a slightly rolled off high end might work better unless you wanted to further emphasize the qualities of the woods.

I would still vote against the Juggernauts though, as angl2k said they get pretty muddy on the low B/F#.
I had the A/O set in a pretty bright swamp ash guitar and they sounded great, though it's definitely different from how much warmer they sound in all mahogany (also had them in a schecter). The A/O set is relatively warm on the high end so it won't be super bright like a painkiller or nazgul would be. The A/O set won't be as warm on the high end as say a dominion or titan set though. Worst case OP can sell the pickups or install a different cap value on his tone knob.

robski92

Reaction score
I have the A/O set in my UV777P and I definitely like the sound of them, just figured I'd see if something else might work better. Looks like everyone is pointing towards the A/O set though! I'm also down for other suggestions that might tone down the high end on this guitar!

jerm

Reaction score
^Warpigs have a very tight but thick low end and a nice smooth high end.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
A guitarmory matador would work well too. It's got a nice thick snarly tone but isn't super bright on the high end. It's not as thick as a warpig but definitely a bit warmer/thicker than the A/O set. If you do go with the warpig I'd say stay away from the ceramic version, it has a lot more high end and feels quite bright on the high end while being dark on the low end (at least that's how it was in my guitar).

robski92

Reaction score
^Warpigs have a very tight but thick low end and a nice smooth high end.

Would they sound clear even at the low tuning I'm using? The only BKP I have experience with is the painkiller so I'm not all that sure what to look for in regards to those.

A guitarmory matador would work well too.

I actually just remembered I have a guitarmory polaris bridge pickup that I can try out in it as well.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Would they sound clear even at the low tuning I'm using? The only BKP I have experience with is the painkiller so I'm not all that sure what to look for in regards to those.
I actually just remembered I have a guitarmory polaris bridge pickup that I can try out in it as well.
The warpig is relatively dark on the low end and has trouble with super low tunings ime. It should hold up with drop f though.

jerm

Reaction score
I'm using Ceramic warpigs in Drop A and it sounds amazing. No experience for Drop F# but I don't see it being a problem.

Don't go with the Alnico version, that one has even more low end than the Ceramic version and might be muddy in that tuning.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
What about aftermaths. Would those be to bright?
yes. They're way brighter than warpigs and are super stiff/dry feeling. If you want that stiff/dry feeling then titans would be more up your alley since they're warmer and are still super tight.

Pearson0110

Reaction score
My vote would go for the A/O set, I previously had juggs in a regius which were great and had a very specific voicing, worked well for the drop G#/A range, I also have a set of warpigs in my ibanez rg. The low end is tight and massive works superbly for the drop C/B range. Imho they don't really hold up well once you really tune down.

Just my 2 cents

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a juggernaut in my KM7 and Alpha/Omega in my Ibanez RGAIX6FM. I've been highly considering swapping the juggy out for a set of A/O's....they're just awesome p'ups.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
Alpha/Omega slays in terms of versatility and djentity

')