SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
It's been my favorite pickup since it came out, and SD just wrote a cool article about it's inception. Cool stuff. Definitely didn't know that it is actually Mayhem approved. Can we turn this into a Black Winter appreciation club?

It seems to me like this is pickup has an almost cult like following here, and almost everyone that has tried one has been converted. So, share your Black Winter infused axes, your tracks, and whatever and what not about it. I love geeking out about it, and I'm sure you guys do too.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/the-birth-of-the-black-winter

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
The bridge was too compressed for me but damn I found the neck sweet. In my Jackson MIJ Dominion I have a Custom 5 bridge and BW neck. Awesome tones from that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
I ordered my set pretty much right when they were released in America, and they've been my main pickup for everything. I don't think there's another pickup I've been more obsessed with, it's just got the perfect voicing imo. I made a black metal-ish demo for it a while back, the tone and video quality is a little outdated compared to what I have now, but I plan on making lots more videos and music with them. :mf666:

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
My Epiphone LPC-90
13781926_10103020421283444_8366563935891783199_n.jpg

13686507_10103020421937134_1921012920614056715_n.jpg

My B.C. Rich Warlock Deluxe
13770355_10103020419427164_169915074670213434_n.jpg

13658919_10103020419786444_988152139951137720_n.jpg

My PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
13770427_10103020417326374_4228509824616280388_n.jpg

13681097_10103020417845334_4434645789529949394_n.jpg

I kinda have a thing for these pickups :lol:

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
it is a great bridge pick up but to be honest I think this pickup can handle way beyond Black Metal. Actually the more I play the more I think that this pickup is the least black metal style pickup I can think of; full sounding with lots of body. Btw I have it in my RGA121.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
^You're right in that it is an extremely versatile pickup. The clarity and articulation are excellent. Those things somewhat lend themselves towards a black metal pickup since you can dump a TON of dirt onto your tone and still hear each note clearly. Especially when playing dissonant chords. It's still a relatively hot pickup, which is also needed.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I ordered my set pretty much right when they were released in America, and they've been my main pickup for everything. I don't think there's another pickup I've been more obsessed with, it's just got the perfect voicing imo. I made a black metal-ish demo for it a while back, the tone and video quality is a little outdated compared to what I have now, but I plan on making lots more videos and music with them. :mf666:

Awesome! I liked the added Black Winter shirt, I have one too. :lol:

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
The bridge was too compressed for me but damn I found the neck sweet. In my Jackson MIJ Dominion I have a Custom 5 bridge and BW neck. Awesome tones from that.

One of the best nick pickups out there. I love the bridge for most anything metal. I have them in a SZ2020, Viper, and a San Dimas Style 2. I still want to order my custom version, the "Nuclear Winter" with A8s instead of Ceramics.

Shask

Reaction score
One of the best nick pickups out there. I love the bridge for most anything metal. I have them in a SZ2020, Viper, and a San Dimas Style 2. I still want to order my custom version, the "Nuclear Winter" with A8s instead of Ceramics.

Are the Black Winters extremely bright in the San Dimas? I recently ordered an Invader for my So-Cal, because everything else I have tried in there is very bright with no chunk.

I also have a Neckthrough Maple / Alder guitar I am considering putting the Black Winters in. My only concern is that they would be too bright in there. I dont mind some brightness, but the fizzy, harsh kind of highs the current Kiesel Lithiums have gotta go, lol.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Love that idea and that name! :scream:

I had an idea similar to JD's, a less compressed version with more mids and grind. We'll see when I place that custom order...

Here's a quick video I have on my phone of my old ESP Horizon with 'Winters in it.

and some pics of my guitars with the BW's.
2hq7br8.jpg

2e22vyx.jpg

2urvv4y.jpg

Xcaliber

Reaction score
I recently debated between the Black Winter set and the Nazgul/Sentinent set and chose the latter, but now I'm thinking I should have gone with the Black Winter set.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Are the Black Winters extremely bright in the San Dimas? I recently ordered an Invader for my So-Cal, because everything else I have tried in there is very bright with no chunk.

I also have a Neckthrough Maple / Alder guitar I am considering putting the Black Winters in. My only concern is that they would be too bright in there. I dont mind some brightness, but the fizzy, harsh kind of highs the current Kiesel Lithiums have gotta go, lol.

I don't find them to be, I was worried they would with a maple board and alder body. I think they sound best in a big thick slab of mahogany. They definitely pair well with a darker voiced guitar.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I don't find them to be, I was worried they would with a maple board and alder body. I think they sound best in a big thick slab of mahogany. They definitely pair well with a darker voiced guitar.

I agree with JD on this. I never found out what my Horizon was made out of, but I know that my Eclipse is Mahogany, and I haven't gotten a better tone out of any guitar that I have ever had my hands on that that. Black Winters in Mahogany rule.:shred:

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with JD on this. I never found out what my Horizon was made out of, but I know that my Eclipse is Mahogany, and I haven't gotten a better tone out of any guitar that I have ever had my hands on that that. Black Winters in Mahogany rule.:shred:

I also back this. All the guitars I own with Black Winters installed are darker woods (I know the LPC-90 and PRS SE are mahogany, but can't remember for the life of me what the Warlock is at the moment). I have yet to try them in a brighter wood bodied guitar, but I don't think that they would be over the top bright to where you wouldn't be able to EQ that out.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Glad it was asked about putting BWs in Charvels. I've been curious about that myself, but I consider the BW to be really bright for alder and perfect for mahogany or darker sounding guitars.
Tossing around the idea of putting something different in my So Cal, but am leaning towards the SD Custom or, of course, a Nazgul.
I think this: BW is to mahogany what Nazgul is to alder/ash.
Although, my custom SD defeats all IMO!! Nazgul with the upper mid boost of a BW and some of the low end growl of the JB.

Seeing that Epiphone up there kills me a bit. There's one at the pawn shop up the road and when I saw it I thought, "I bet I can get that super cheap and put Black Winters in it". Maybe someday.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing that Epiphone up there kills me a bit. There's one at the pawn shop up the road and when I saw it I thought, "I bet I can get that super cheap and put Black Winters in it". Maybe someday.

They made those in the Fujigen shop in Japan, and it plays INCREDIBLY. I lucked out finding one of those. It's on my very strict never sell list.

Latest posts