SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Glad it was asked about putting BWs in Charvels. I've been curious about that myself, but I consider the BW to be really bright for alder and perfect for mahogany or darker sounding guitars.
Tossing around the idea of putting something different in my So Cal, but am leaning towards the SD Custom or, of course, a Nazgul.

I currently have a Duncan Custom in my So-Cal. It is pretty bright. I even installed a fixed tone control, and it is still pretty bright. I mean, I could work with it, but I would rather try something else, lol. I am trying an Invader next because this is my E guitar with 9-42 strings, and I want it to be able to chunk out Metallica type riffs. I have had the Tone Zone in there, and a Duncan Distortion. Both are OK, but not really "IT" yet.

The Black Winter idea is for a different guitar, but I think the 2 guitars are similar tonally. If the BW is like the Custom, but with less highs, more mids, and more output, I think I could love it :D I know it gets compared to the Distortion, but I am curious about vs. the Custom also.

I have considered the Nazgul also, but I already have a Nazgul/Sentient in a different guitar. I generally dont like to have 2 of the same pickup, just for variety.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I currently have a Duncan Custom in my So-Cal. It is pretty bright. I even installed a fixed tone control, and it is still pretty bright. I mean, I could work with it, but I would rather try something else, lol. I am trying an Invader next because this is my E guitar with 9-42 strings, and I want it to be able to chunk out Metallica type riffs. I have had the Tone Zone in there, and a Duncan Distortion. Both are OK, but not really "IT" yet.

The Black Winter idea is for a different guitar, but I think the 2 guitars are similar tonally. If the BW is like the Custom, but with less highs, more mids, and more output, I think I could love it :D I know it gets compared to the Distortion, but I am curious about vs. the Custom also.

I have considered the Nazgul also, but I already have a Nazgul/Sentient in a different guitar. I generally dont like to have 2 of the same pickup, just for variety.

Funny enough my So Cal is in standard right now. The Distortion is, to me, not a horribly long shot from an EMG (with more life to it), so it does Metallica well if you cut the mids on the amp. I don't have a problem with it, but could do for something with a little more to it. I will probably end up with a Nazgul in there, but I don't mind have similar sounding guitars.
Will probably wait for my Sully 624T to show up, has a Nazgul/Sentient set in it, alder body, bolt on maple neck/FB. Very apples to apples in terms of how the Nazgul would sound in the So Cal.
Of course what I really need is to buy a used mahogany Horizon to put the Black Winter in...

AChRush1349

Causal Anomalie
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should get blackwinters or Bare Knuckles in my Jackson RR1 and my Kiesel SCB7. Playing in an experimental black/death/etc metal band right now and have a lot of weird dissonant chords and need clarity, balls, and dynamics. I have Bare Knuckles in my KE2, and my RGT and love them, but wondering if I should try something new with one of both of my other guitars.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should get blackwinters or Bare Knuckles in my Jackson RR1 and my Kiesel SCB7. Playing in an experimental black/death/etc metal band right now and have a lot of weird dissonant chords and need clarity, balls, and dynamics. I have Bare Knuckles in my KE2, and my RGT and love them, but wondering if I should try something new with one of both of my other guitars.

I can't speak for the Bare Knuckles, but the Black Winter seems right up your alley if you want clarity, punch and dynamics while piling on huge amounts of distortion.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I have a Black Winter in my other alder guitar. Most of my guitars are alder bodied with Invaders in them. I think the Black Winter is a tweaked and more refined Invader . Same 3 Ceramic magnets that give notes that full and thick sound but the black winter has a tighter bass with more treble and upper mids.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
^I could definitely see that. And I agree about what you said about the sound. In my Warlock, I have a Black Winter bridge paired with an Invader neck. I REALLY like that combination.

KailM

Reaction score
I feel like this thread is missing KailM... :lol:

I'm here! :) Best damn pickups money can buy! And I agree they are far more versatile than simply a "black metal" pickup. But man, they do black metal just right....here's a track if you haven't heard it already. Every part of the song was recorded with my BW-equipped LTD Explorer, from cleans to chugs to blast-beat-driven tremelo holocaust :)

https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/the-gathering-of-hostsfist-of-the-heavens

I'm working on a track using the Black Winters with my HM-2 as well. Stay tuned...:evil:

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I'm here! :) Best damn pickups money can buy! And I agree they are far more versatile than simply a "black metal" pickup. But man, they do black metal just right....here's a track if you haven't heard it already. Every part of the song was recorded with my BW-equipped LTD Explorer, from cleans to chugs to blast-beat-driven tremelo holocaust :)

I'm working on a track using the Black Winters with my HM-2 as well. Stay tuned...:evil:

That was legit sick! For anyone that's curious about the Black Winter in a non metal context check this video out of Wes Hauch noodling around with it:

abeigor

Reaction score

Sounds KILLER!!!:hbang:

anunnaki

Don't even play 7's
Reaction score
That was legit sick! For anyone that's curious about the Black Winter in a non metal context check this video out of Wes Hauch noodling around with it:

I've been thinking of getting black winters for my rga121h but wasn't sure if I should get the neck or not, because I use the neck for cleans and I thought that the stock neck pickup sounded good.. but damn that sounds really good

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
Here's my Black Winter loaded guitars

Ibanez RG421QM

3EEFC821-1713-4E4E-BB57-EC45223C3CB5_zpslh8noafi.jpg

RG331M

DSC_0019_zpszllyrmxx.png

Also have an Ibanez Iceman I refinished satin white that will soon have a set of White Winters in :hbang:

ofu

Reaction score
BW set in a custom SG-style guitar. All mahogany, ebony fretboard. Got the guitar with the pickups really close to the strings and the sound was muddy and there was no articulation. Experimented a bit with the height and the screws and now it's a killer. Bridge is tight and aggresive, neck is surprisingly nice with the gain and the volume rolled down. Middle position is both pickups - 30 ohms of quadbucker sludge festival.

Overall, BWs slay for death metal, doom, etc. Is there a similar pickup that will fit in an ash body/maple neck, besides the Nazgul?

Sorry for the potato quality of the picture.

http://imgur.com/a/Ofaoq

Imgur doesn't like the forum for some reason, sorry for the link.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I got that black one & now the new white one :lol:

They did such a great job with the merch. I'll definitely snag a Black Winter shirt or hoodie as soon as I have some extra money lying around for one. Call me a fashionable prick, but I really just don't think that most metal merch fits especially well. I'll likely just convert the shirt into a "stringer" or something.

The Black Winter shirts look like Aborted merch almost though. Love them. :hbang:

I'll also get some sick riffs down when I get my 2i4 too, expect BM riffage akin to what I posted earlier! :)

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
BW set in a custom SG-style guitar. All mahogany, ebony fretboard. Got the guitar with the pickups really close to the strings and the sound was muddy and there was no articulation. Experimented a bit with the height and the screws and now it's a killer. Bridge is tight and aggresive, neck is surprisingly nice with the gain and the volume rolled down. Middle position is both pickups - 30 ohms of quadbucker sludge festival.

Overall, BWs slay for death metal, doom, etc. Is there a similar pickup that will fit in an ash body/maple neck, besides the Nazgul?

Sorry for the potato quality of the picture.

http://imgur.com/a/Ofaoq

Imgur doesn't like the forum for some reason, sorry for the link.

The KM6 is ash body, set maple neck BWs sound great in it. I think ash could go good with Nazgul or BW.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Figured I would contribute a little more... Here's a clip I just found in the ass end of my video library with some tasty riffage.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
How does the 7-string version compare? I have been intrigued by what I read/heard about these pickups. I recall someone mentioned they sound similar to EMG Het set, how accurate is that?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the BW set in my old Schecter C-1 Stealth and they sound amazing.

26981583265_245c9a41a0_o.jpg

')