SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnknownOne

Reaction score
I just installed a BW bridge in place of the TB6 I had in my LTD MH400 and I'm very impressed ! It has the punch of the TB6 yet the clarity of a Duncan Custom. Reminds me of a fishman modern sometimes. Really balanced and defined around the spectrum, whereas the TB6 was sometimes a bit harsh/fizzy on the high notes.

Btw it is paired with a Liquifire neck, and both are matching perfectly !

Sumsar

Reaction score
More Blackwinter stuff:

Guitar is mahogany with maple neckthrough, with floyd rose bridge.
I think someone asked about the 7 string version a couple of pages back which is what I use here, and honestly I think they are some of the best 7 string pickups I have tried, and I have been through most of the Dimarzio catalog and a couple from the seymour duncan lineup.

Does it djent? I don't think so, but I guess you can EQ anything so quack like a duck, so I am sure it can pull of a decent attempt if that is what you want, but it is probably not the go-to for that.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
More Blackwinter stuff:

Guitar is mahogany with maple neckthrough, with floyd rose bridge.
I think someone asked about the 7 string version a couple of pages back which is what I use here, and honestly I think they are some of the best 7 string pickups I have tried, and I have been through most of the Dimarzio catalog and a couple from the seymour duncan lineup.

Does it djent? I don't think so, but I guess you can EQ anything so quack like a duck, so I am sure it can pull of a decent attempt if that is what you want, but it is probably not the go-to for that.

Why is that "Peavet"? :lol:

Cynicanal

Reaction score
Can I join the congregation?

A friend of mine brought over a PRS Mushok with a BW in the bridge, and it was absolutely crushing for Incantation riffs and the like. Great clarity while still sounding huge; palm mutes sounded like getting punched in the face, fast tremolo runs were clear without being sterile, anything I did on the bottom B was clearly intelligible without losing the low-end heft. I liked the combination so much that I had to go and order a PRS SE 277 and a BW to go in it...

TheUnknownOne

Reaction score
So post-honeymoon appreciation... These things.... RIPS LIKE HELL HOLY LORD ! :eek:

It even makes me reconsider the idea I had to convert one of my guitars with fishman moderns... The black winter bridge just plays itselfs, is tight as f*** but never gets harsh even on high strings, with an output similar to actives. This is the ultimate passive chuggy-techy-metalcore pickup in a mahogany body/maple neck guitar. It can do basically everything and nevers gets muddy or harsh. From drop C down to G, the thing just sounds SICK... The clarity on low strings compared to the SH6 is just unbelievable, and still it never sounds shrill... Sounds like they put some low pass and hi pass filters + a boost in the "good" mids

There's truly some black magic going on inside this pup \m/

KailM

Reaction score
So post-honeymoon appreciation... These things.... RIPS LIKE HELL HOLY LORD ! :eek:

It even makes me reconsider the idea I had to convert one of my guitars with fishman moderns... The black winter bridge just plays itselfs, is tight as f*** but never gets harsh even on high strings, with an output similar to actives. This is the ultimate passive chuggy-techy-metalcore pickup in a mahogany body/maple neck guitar. It can do basically everything and nevers gets muddy or harsh. From drop C down to G, the thing just sounds SICK... The clarity on low strings compared to the SH6 is just unbelievable, and still it never sounds shrill... Sounds like they put some low pass and hi pass filters + a boost in the "good" mids

There's truly some black magic going on inside this pup \m/

:cheers:

buriedoutback

Reaction score
every time I read a glowing review of the BW's I think 'maybe its time to replace my deactivator 8 with a BW 8' ...

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
every time I read a glowing review of the BW's I think 'maybe its time to replace my deactivator 8 with a BW 8' ...
eh... the 8 string version is ok, I didn't like it as much I like the 6 string version. It's an improvement over the d-activator imo, but there are other pickup options out there that have better clarity or versatility. If you want a warmer chug-centric monster, then yeah, it's great. It struggles with extended chord clarity ime.
I have a bunch of 8 string clips if you're interested.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I got to really play my new baritone with BW’s and i have to say, for what it do, i enjoy them more than my Lundgrens and that’s a big deal to me.

Edika

Reaction score
I have recently put them in my Gibson Les Paul to replace the Burstbuckers pro. They are not what I expected but I really like them. I expected clarity but not as much as I got from these pickups. They filled up the frequencies a lot and the guitar doesn't sound thin anymore. However it doesn't sound as thick as I expected in E. So I tuned it down to B and it stll retains clarity with the 24.75 inch scale. It needs a bit of a setup and fixing the intonation but sounds more defined than other attempts at B tuning.

Bearitone

Reaction score
So I got me the 6 string version of BW. I've never installed a guitar pickup before and I'm hoping this is as easy as changing engine filters! Is it plug and play, not a whole lot of technical wiring stuff?

You’ll need a soldering iron, some solder wire, and preferably some flux too. Other than that you should be good

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
So I got me the 6 string version of BW. I've never installed a guitar pickup before and I'm hoping this is as easy as changing engine filters! Is it plug and play, not a whole lot of technical wiring stuff?

Are you replacing an existing SD? Just match the wires and solder.

Bearitone

Reaction score
No. My guitar is Hadean. Not sure what humbuckers it has, most likely high output. Do I need a soldering tool (iron or gun?).

Soldering iron. 40 watts. Scoop one up from homedepot and watch a tutorial on soldering. Super easy but, make you sure you get some flux too or you’re going to get frustrated later

DC23

Reaction score
Any of you guys have suggestions for a Bridge Pickup 7 to match the Black Winter 7 Neck besides the BW Bridge? Got a good deal on one and going to throw it into my RG1527. :D