SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KailM

Reaction score
Any of you guys have suggestions for a Bridge Pickup 7 to match the Black Winter 7 Neck besides the BW Bridge? Got a good deal on one and going to throw it into my RG1527. :D

IMO the BW bridge is the best part of the set, at least in the 6-string version. I could see where you might have better choices if you're tuning your 7-string below B Standard though. What do you want out of your bridge pickup, and what tuning will you be using?

DC23

Reaction score
I think my only concern is not having enough versatility from BW 7 Bridge. I definitely play with distortion / overdrive heavy sounds, but i am not a fan of shrill highs and buzzsaw characteristics that some 'metal oriented' pickups have. I didn't mind risking for the BW neck to be pretty raw and in your face as I found the stock RG 1527 neck humucker to be extremely muddy and overtly bass heavy. I might just go all in and pick up a bridge BW 7 if that will pair the best and hope for the best haha.

KailM

Reaction score
I think my only concern is not having enough versatility from BW 7 Bridge. I definitely play with distortion / overdrive heavy sounds, but i am not a fan of shrill highs and buzzsaw characteristics that some 'metal oriented' pickups have. I didn't mind risking for the BW neck to be pretty raw and in your face as I found the stock RG 1527 neck humucker to be extremely muddy and overtly bass heavy. I might just go all in and pick up a bridge BW 7 if that will pair the best and hope for the best haha.

The bridge version is quite versatile in my experience. EQ-wise, it is pretty balanced/no big spikes anywhere that might place it in one category of metal or another. With the volume knob on your guitar all the way up it is indeed a very aggressive, powerful, and brutal pickup, but I’ve found that backing off the volume knob a hair yields great hard rock tones and even classic rock. Cleans are amazing. You can’t go wrong. My favorite clean tone of all time is with both the BW bridge and neck selected.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
Anyone put these in a basswood guitar? I loved them in the Km-6. I'm a little concerned that I'll be missing some of that bright cut. But, if people are loving them in Mahogany as well, then I would think that basswood wouldn't be an issue.

Zender

Tinkering, please hold.
Reaction score
Contemplating putting a pair of these, with covers, in my epi LP custom silverburst.

Anyone here have experience with these in a mahogany body, alder top LP model? And what value pots and caps would make sense?

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Contemplating putting a pair of these, with covers, in my epi LP custom silverburst.

Anyone here have experience with these in a mahogany body, alder top LP model? And what value pots and caps would make sense?

The Ltd Black Metal EC comes stock with BW. Pots: I'd go no tone, vol value as high as possible. It's a dark pickup.

BananaDemocracy

8 String Impaler
Reaction score
It's been my favorite pickup since it came out, and SD just wrote a cool article about it's inception. Cool stuff. Definitely didn't know that it is actually Mayhem approved. Can we turn this into a Black Winter appreciation club?

It seems to me like this is pickup has an almost cult like following here, and almost everyone that has tried one has been converted. So, share your Black Winter infused axes, your tracks, and whatever and what not about it. I love geeking out about it, and I'm sure you guys do too.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/the-birth-of-the-black-winter
I read this out of curiosity because I for some reason thought it was a new active from SD, but it was interesting nonetheless . (I also love blackouts )

Jazzamatazz

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have this HSS Strat that I've recently purchased. It is an incredible playing guitar but the stock humbucker is a little too low output for me. I'd like a new pickup that can play anything from heavy ass extreme metal to bands like the below linked .

While I know for sure that the BW can play black and death metal I'm a little worried that they could be a little too hot for the rock stuff. I'm not looking to play jazz or blues or anything on the bridge, I love the middle and neck single coils for that.

I pretty much play E standard or Drop D tuning if that helps at all.

I've read a lot about the versitility of the Black Winters but I wanted to get your opinions on the matter. Also are there any alternatives you would suggest? Thanks a lot guys!

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Time for some soldering....I'm very interested to see how the 7 bridge works out in the KM7.

ilCyq65wQfIhNbq4Y4rgZgn0d0W5-vf6PU9eL0gNxbGPTwNz24rhNyOsavqOat0yJnW4_y8fMcV0eVRRfPqwKyqTA9HO7GFmSxIhG_bGQRGCTHzWq7UXUk0U1qgoBLD4v6y_KqMjd11c61XRvINyWnWybKjJuzKs5Psv8Tl7kj0F663qB_W14l6r4EUbvGiQ2UN-DFkr_x3ZAipN7CPz9kNZqtzuMoiSmEJh8d_ClWqwnYAFo1CVMtjZoqdDMjQw-GT7heG-wSJJ7ZnBOsRM9pca54i7MWUkOZkO8UuaSr0lUzi6fSlFT2qMqD7utHvq_VpJkrcSf2oJHycR_qUfPLT_ocau_hWg37zfUT-xQ7Zj--DJW7YL2nJyJZPGo2W2PGoozLs0yhAOzp0lFgWTLTmqasLhEG-okuiv-mRhQGdR4oxrhsW3oNm2cTAKnlOn7Aa5tJz31WacdbBSXjdU2q6FE5g5EhRhHNOlN4o8BeFErhHLfMy5367aYj3ry4FD-hpwyisEX5arXJ5482pb-8mu92u5h71aifxtolKsxDm2sdKDrTqfPqKEXqlhTqr0h8TLEmhhk-ppTPuZMfWYauygf11T7KephPyhG-SdY-J4jTlE4mm60v8CexHqcmhtCEvdh1SELT7C8mKTvBAlhugQ82HiixkW=w1348-h758-no

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have this HSS Strat that I've recently purchased. It is an incredible playing guitar but the stock humbucker is a little too low output for me. I'd like a new pickup that can play anything from heavy ass extreme metal to bands like the below linked .

While I know for sure that the BW can play black and death metal I'm a little worried that they could be a little too hot for the rock stuff. I'm not looking to play jazz or blues or anything on the bridge, I love the middle and neck single coils for that.

I pretty much play E standard or Drop D tuning if that helps at all.

I've read a lot about the versitility of the Black Winters but I wanted to get your opinions on the matter. Also are there any alternatives you would suggest? Thanks a lot guys!

Roll back the volume a little bit and you're in rock territory. Trust me, it can do hard rock just fine.

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
Anyone put these in a basswood guitar? I loved them in the Km-6. I'm a little concerned that I'll be missing some of that bright cut. But, if people are loving them in Mahogany as well, then I would think that basswood wouldn't be an issue.

I'm considering putting one in a basswood guitar too. Surely someone has done this and has info... ? Kind of down to this or the Elysian Trident II to pair with the Nazgul I have in my main guitar.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I'm considering putting one in a basswood guitar too. Surely someone has done this and has info... ? Kind of down to this or the Elysian Trident II to pair with the Nazgul I have in my main guitar.

I have them in a basswood RG570. Perfectly awesome.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I have them in a poplar body. Also perfectly fine. Actually the best pickups I’ve tried (out of the limited number I’ve tried)
-BKP C-Pig
-Lundgren M series
-Blackouts
-Nazgul

Not as tubby as the warping, meaner/more-aggressive than the Lundgren, way clearer than the blackouts, way less obnoxious than the Nazgul

It has completely sated my pickup GAS.

Coil split and now you have some fat, chimey, cleans.

I still prefer the warping neck pickup but, the Black Winter bridge is hands down my favorite.

Last edited:

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Just tried it in a 97 USA soloist SL2 ..Popular body/ maple neck thru and Ebony fret board and it sounds awesome! i thought it might be bright, but its by far the best SD I've put in there...Very happy.

Great pickup.....Mike

NosralTserrof

Reaction score
Just wanted to give more praise for the BW.

My band plays 7's and I have a nazgul/sentient in it. It's great, but it's a very clinical pup. Every time I plug in my KM6 I'm astonished at the amount of harmonic richness in my sound. It has all the articulation I need but with a ton more saturation. Love it.