SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KailM

Reaction score
Just wanted to give more praise for the BW.

My band plays 7's and I have a nazgul/sentient in it. It's great, but it's a very clinical pup. Every time I plug in my KM6 I'm astonished at the amount of harmonic richness in my sound. It has all the articulation I need but with a ton more saturation. Love it.

I would suggest trying a boost that allows you to increase the low-end a bit, rather than cutting it -- with the Nazgul. I also dial-in more bass through the amp when I'm playing my Nazgul-equipped guitar. Once you do that, it is a monster of a pickup. I agree about the BW though, it has just the perfect amount of low-end, midrange grind, and harmonic richness without any fuss...

NosralTserrof

Reaction score
I would suggest trying a boost that allows you to increase the low-end a bit, rather than cutting it -- with the Nazgul. I also dial-in more bass through the amp when I'm playing my Nazgul-equipped guitar. Once you do that, it is a monster of a pickup. I agree about the BW though, it has just the perfect amount of low-end, midrange grind, and harmonic richness without any fuss...

Oh I 100% agree. Have been doing that and messing with the cut knob on my Tokyo Drive as well as using a klone to boost the front end. Love the Nazgul for sure, but the BW is something else...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lindmann

SS.org Rectangular
Reaction score
I joined the club today with a 7 string bw in a basswood body tuned to drop G. I have the pickup sitting rather high, close to the strings.

I must say...I am impressed.
Very well balanced and thus sounding full and rich.
I like how it has a considerable amount of low end without being boomy.

Lindmann

SS.org Rectangular
Reaction score
Today I played a little more and compared it to my other guitars.
I read somewhere that the BW might be based on the SH-6.
And now I think these two pickups could be the exact same pickups just with different names.

Judging by ear, the BW and the SH-6 already sound very similar.
Then I got curious:
I played and recorded one simple riff, that I know very well (so that I can play it consistently) with all my 4 guitars.
Afterwards I used Voxengo SPAN to determine the EQ-curve of each pickup and then compared these.
All pickups showed different results exept the BW and the SH-6 which had the exact same curve.
Not just similar. It was literally the same curve.

Pickups that I compared were: BW, Ibanez INF4, EMG81, SH-6

Anyone else noticed this?

Cynicanal

Reaction score
It's definitely not the same pickup, the magnetic structure is entirely different and the type of wire used is different.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Lindmann, im glad you done that test, i found that the BW sounded very like a Sh-6...i find the BW very tight sounding vs the Sh6...in a good updated way. More Modern so to speak...fantastic pickup. I have another one laying around and I'm leaning toward taking the pickup cover of the JB in my USA dean hardtail when i get motivated, but im digging it in my USA jackson soloist !

Mike

StrmRidr

Hide your Jacksons
Reaction score
Now that I've been playing mine for about a week, all I can say is god damn is it a nice sounding pickup. They have another one stock at my local store and I think I may grab it to replace the Full Shred in my DK24, as long as it is the trembucker version.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Add me to the list. Just picked up an LTD Viper with single BW and I have to say that this is one of the best sounding pickups I've ever tried. Mids and highs ring out with great definition.... and no muddy low end. Even heavily distorted they still maintain a great deal of density.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
I have to admit that the case that Seymour Duncan made for the BW is pretty neat. Reminds me of all Black metal cassettes which is the whole point of it I guess.
Never warmed up to this pickup though, it sounds too profesional for BM in my opinion, like it is trying to fit in somewhere it does not belong. I checked a band the other day which played on shitty Ibanez V8 pickups, they sounded amazing due to dialing their gear properly and making the songs fit the pickups so well. The BM is like a model putting on corpse paint, its too good to pass for the what it wants. :2c:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a Black Winter set for my Ibanez RGA321.

Do I get the Humbucker or the Trembucker version?
doesn't really matter unless you're ocd about the poles not lining up exactly with your strings. they sound the same, just slightly different spacing (50 vs 52mm)

pfizer

Reaction score
Get the Trembucker version ;)

Yeah, seems like the way to go; my OCD will never forgive me if I get something that doesn't line up just right.

Quick question, is there any extra routing to be done or are the pickups just going to be a drop-in replacement? I read somewhere that Ibanez guitars have pickup cavities designed specifically for DiMarzios.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
In case of problems: you don't route guitar, you instead file the pickup legs narrower.
^ this. and you can always cut the screws down on the underside of the duncans if the route is too shallow.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
^ this. and you can always cut the screws down on the underside of the duncans if the route is too shallow.
This actually changes the tone, though. Longer screws increase induction and slightly decrease the strength of the magnetic field. In particular, the Pegasus uses longer-than-normal-for-Duncan screws as a way to make it warmer despite being a bit under-wound.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
Debating trying these out on my Mayones Duvell 7. Currently I have a nazgul sentient combo. I love the chugs with the nazgul but they seem a little too aggressive at times and tough to control. Great pickup but if I could simmer the upper mids down a tad I would. The sentient isnt working for me in this guitar, but, I like it along with the nazgul in another 7 string that I own. I think this BW7 set is on my list to try next.