SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
here's a clip comparing all three in the meantime (starts with ceramic unboosted and boosted, then same for a8 and a5):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmbv3a7aqr0o4jw/kaijiujitsu_a5_a8_ceramic mag comparison.mp3?dl=0
here's some TRV KVLT shit:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/69scnu4kmyetder/Skadi TRV KVLT_triple recto .mp3?dl=0
other clips:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/plrqhcapdi6nu15/AAB1X12zjt65irpAWlvfqnzKa?dl=0

I'll have more in depth comparisons up eventually

Thanks for posting these, KB!

From what's going on in the first one, I prefer it stock.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
After several months of playing a BW 7 bridge in a OG KM7, it's just not able to get nearly as Black Winter as the 6 version. It works well for me but it's not any kind of direct translation from the 6. Ime. I have bw 6's in two other guitars.

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
After several months of playing a BW 7 bridge in a OG KM7, it's just not able to get nearly as Black Winter as the 6 version. It works well for me but it's not any kind of direct translation from the 6. Ime. I have bw 6's in two other guitars.

How so? Can you give a more detailed description of both?

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
How so? Can you give a more detailed description of both?

I'm a bit leary of the words for that, but less percussive, focused, and def looser. Still good for me, but more indistinguished as a stand-alone pickup than the regular BW.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I'm a bit leary of the words for that, but less percussive, focused, and def looser. Still good for me, but more indistinguished as a stand-alone pickup than the regular BW.
yeah it's muddier/looser on the low end for the 7 and 8 string versions compared to the 6 string version. The voicing isn't particularly suited to super low tunings, especially if you're downtuning below A. It's not a huge deal ime, as you can just dial in your rig differently to compensate for the difference in feel. The lack of clarity on lower notes is very noticeable when I play extended chords but that's not something most ppl are going to be doing with the bw :lol:

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
yeah it's muddier/looser on the low end for the 7 and 8 string versions compared to the 6 string version. The voicing isn't particularly suited to super low tunings, especially if you're downtuning below A. It's not a huge deal ime, as you can just dial in your rig differently to compensate for the difference in feel. The lack of clarity on lower notes is very noticeable when I play extended chords but that's not something most ppl are going to be doing with the bw :lol:

I'd dare to say the BW7 is a good doom pickup. Sunn O should endorse and rebrand it or something.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I'd dare to say the BW7 is a good doom pickup. Sunn O should endorse and rebrand it or something.
I do really like using it for sludgier/doomier riffs, I think it works better for that than super tight tech riffage. The 8 string version was a better doom pickup than the avedissian scythe I had, and the scythe is marketed as more of a doom pickup lol

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I do really like using it for sludgier/doomier riffs, I think it works better for that than super tight tech riffage. The 8 string version was a better doom pickup than the avedissian scythe I had, and the scythe is marketed as more of a doom pickup lol

What would you recommend as best 7 version of a BW 6? Does that question make sense?

MrWulf

Reaction score
I like my BW7 if anything. I put it in my basswood Jackson and ash/maple Schecter. Maybe the wood helps balanced it out? But for me it is high gain, and very articulate/balanced.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
What would you recommend as best 7 version of a BW 6? Does that question make sense?
hmm I can't really answer that as my experience with 7 string pickups is pretty limited compared to my experience with 6/8 string pickups. There are other pickups I've used that get the sledgehammer lows of the bw, but they have a different mid emphasis (like the M7 and the d-sonic).

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I like my BW7 if anything. I put it in my basswood Jackson and ash/maple Schecter. Maybe the wood helps balanced it out? But for me it is high gain, and very articulate/balanced.

Have you had the 6 version in anything? Interested to hear your thoughts if so.

chopeth

Reaction score
I had the 6 version and loved it in my mahogany ibanez and was thinking in buying a pair of BW7 for my baritone swamp ash guitar, so after reading you I'm maybe taken too much of a risk of not getting what I want especially considering the high price of a couple Black Winters (new)

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
I had the 6 version and loved it in my mahogany ibanez and was thinking in buying a pair of BW7 for my baritone swamp ash guitar, so after reading you I'm maybe taken too much of a risk of not getting what I want especially considering the high price of a couple Black Winters (new)

Not sure that's really a risk since they hold their value really well on the resale market. Just get a bridge and if you don't like it, sell it for almost what you paid for it and move on.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I'm going to modify my opinion of the BW7 bridge a bit. Did some random BMT tweaking and its now much more cutting and raw. Sorry for confusion, it just needed a lot MORE eq tweaks than I was accustomed. My bad. Chalk up to a fair amount of newb ignorance.

sonoftheoldnorth

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how a BW7 directly compares to a Dimarzio Titan 7?

I have an Ibanez JBM27 with the stock gold covered Titans. The guitar is tuned Ab and used mainly for Death Metal, along the lines of mid-era Morbid Angel C-G, Hate Eternal, Immolation, Lost Soul etc through either a Framus Dragon, JCM800 or GSP1101(5150)>Peavey Classic 60/60

I don't dislike the Titans sound, not so keen on the looks and I don't care about modifying the guitar as I'm not a fan of Periphery (bought for good specs). Can't help but wonder if the BW will be more my thing.

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Dam this thread has me gassin for the Black Winters again!

I need to re-visit the BW set. Had them in an all walnut Carvin ST300c and liked the pickups but not the tone through the amp I had at the time (PV Triple XXX 2). That amp was so harsh and honky in the upper mids and harsh in the highs. I moved the BWs on a hopeless pickup search trying to correct the things I didn't like about the amp.

Well I've since ditched that amp and now play on an Engl Savage 120 and an Engl FB100 and really think I need to try the Black Winters again.

Well...three years later and I finally grabbed another set of BWs. These will be going in a Mayo Qatsi 6. Distortion in there now and it rips, but I've always wanted to retry the BW. What I remember most was this sub-sonic low end response that was just awesome; hope I get the same response in this guitar.

PRS_Baritone_Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the Black Winters. I've got a set in my PRS SE 277 baritone and a set in my Agile AL-2500 baritone. They give so much clarity to the lower tunings without losing any low end beefiness.

I haven't tried the seven string version yet. I'm sure they sound just as great, though.

1b4n3z

Reaction score
I wonder if the spacer magnets actually contribute a significant amount to clarity? I modded a JB with a normal size A8 magnet (tends to beef it up quite a bit, possibly at the cost of clarity) and two ceramic spacer magnets and the result is just amazing. Big tone, excellent note separation - very 'focused' attack. My BW bridge is still quite a bit grittier and brighter, but that really wasn't the direction I was going for in the first place. Clarity is noteworthy in both cases

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I wonder if the spacer magnets actually contribute a significant amount to clarity? I modded a JB with a normal size A8 magnet (tends to beef it up quite a bit, possibly at the cost of clarity) and two ceramic spacer magnets and the result is just amazing. Big tone, excellent note separation - very 'focused' attack. My BW bridge is still quite a bit grittier and brighter, but that really wasn't the direction I was going for in the first place. Clarity is noteworthy in both cases
Spacer/flanking magnets make a substantial difference imo

Latest posts

')