SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necky379

Reaction score
I wonder if the spacer magnets actually contribute a significant amount to clarity? I modded a JB with a normal size A8 magnet (tends to beef it up quite a bit, possibly at the cost of clarity) and two ceramic spacer magnets and the result is just amazing. Big tone, excellent note separation - very 'focused' attack. My BW bridge is still quite a bit grittier and brighter, but that really wasn't the direction I was going for in the first place. Clarity is noteworthy in both cases
Spacer/flanking magnets make a substantial difference imo

Where did you find ceramic spacer magnets? I was thinking about modding a JB-7 and I can’t find any in the states.

1b4n3z

Reaction score
Where did you find ceramic spacer magnets? I was thinking about modding a JB-7 and I can’t find any in the states.

I bought mine from Cermag, a UK based company. They sell all kinds of magnets and they are happily already compatible with one another. There's nothing quite as grating as slanting pickup bobbins :D

PRS_Baritone_Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
G
Slightly necrobumping this thread, since I still love this pickup.

I did a cover of a Behemoth song using the black winter bridge pickup in my mahogany Chris broderick 7 soloist:

Great cover, dude! Gotta love those Black Winters.

Does Behemoth usually tune to C# for their stuff?

olejason

Reaction score
Any of you guys running a black winter in an HSS setup? I've googled around but haven't found too much advice on what single coils to pair with a BW in the bridge. I mainly use the neck pickup for cleans and leads.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
Any of you guys running a black winter in an HSS setup? I've googled around but haven't found too much advice on what single coils to pair with a BW in the bridge. I mainly use the neck pickup for cleans and leads.
I have not personally run the BW in an HSS setup but I know of someone who paired his with the Duncan Hot Rails in the middle and neck. Got an amazing tone out of it, playing mostly progressive rock/metal and doing a lot of lead guitar work with it. So I can't vouch for it first hand unfortunately but the tone he was getting out of that thing worked for me, seemed like it all balanced out nicely. https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/hot-rails-strat-set

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
I'd like to chime in and say, despite loads of people praising the BW bridge pickup, the Black Winter neck pickup is a goddamned gem? I've never heard a neck pickup out of Seymour Duncan's stable with that amount of output, punch and clarity. The closest thing I've heard is a BK Warpig neck pickup, and that's praise, or at least is intended to be. I think the BW neck pickup is Seymour's best kept secret...

KailM

Reaction score
I'd like to chime in and say, despite loads of people praising the BW bridge pickup, the Black Winter neck pickup is a goddamned gem? I've never heard a neck pickup out of Seymour Duncan's stable with that amount of output, punch and clarity. The closest thing I've heard is a BK Warpig neck pickup, and that's praise, or at least is intended to be. I think the BW neck pickup is Seymour's best kept secret...

Yes, the neck is wonderful too; your ears do not kid you. In general, I do not use the neck by itself very much, but when I do use the BW neck it is pretty smooth and creamy, with a little sparkle. It is that sparkle/character that has me thinking about swapping out the Liquifire in one of my guitars for a BW neck; as there is already a BW bridge in that guitar.

Certainly, the Liquifire I have is the cream of the crop for shreddy leads. Yet, I find myself getting bored with it, and the cleans are a little lackluster. When using the BW neck and bridge together for cleans it has an amazing sound. And when I do dabble in shred, it doesn't disappoint.

PRS_Baritone_Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, the neck is wonderful too; your ears do not kid you. In general, I do not use the neck by itself very much, but when I do use the BW neck it is pretty smooth and creamy, with a little sparkle. It is that sparkle/character that has me thinking about swapping out the Liquifire in one of my guitars for a BW neck; as there is already a BW bridge in that guitar.

Certainly, the Liquifire I have is the cream of the crop for shreddy leads. Yet, I find myself getting bored with it, and the cleans are a little lackluster. When using the BW neck and bridge together for cleans it has an amazing sound. And when I do dabble in shred, it doesn't disappoint.
I also have the BW in the bridge and neck and love the clean tones I get when I use the middle selector switch. I will usually roll my tone knob down a couple of notches as well, and man does it sound good.

NeglectedField

Reaction score
So I have the 'Blackened' BW's in my Schecter KM-6 (first iteration).

They do remind me of the fun I had with the TB-6 Distortion in my Ibanez S320; the tight tracking, the articulation and the way they 'drive' the amp. However, as the more astute of you may have seen from another thread I posted, I'm having a real problem with a very 'vowelled' sound, kinda like a 'cocked wah' or a 'nang/dwang' sound. Kinda like how this sounds at 1.06 onwards but not quite as extreme: - I don't know if that could be defined as an upper-mid and/or a treble thing.

It's a shame because I like everything else about it (except I prefer creamier neck pickups and am eyeing up stuff like the '59). I don't know if it's because it's in a swamp ash (w/ebony board) guitar, pickup height or what. I didn't have this issue with the Distortion but then again that was in a waffeur thin mahogany body.

A bit puzzled as to what possible alternatives there are. I like tight ceramic bite and brightness but not the aforementioned issue. It's that tiny thing that's preventing a fun pickup from being a viable recording pickup, for me.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

They do remind me of the fun I had with the TB-6 Distortion in my Ibanez S320; the tight tracking, the articulation and the way they 'drive' the amp. However, as the more astute of you may have seen from another thread I posted, I'm having a real problem with a very 'vowelled' sound, kinda like a 'cocked wah' or a 'nang/dwang' sound. Kinda like how this sounds at 1.06 onwards but not quite as extreme: - I don't know if that could be defined as an upper-mid and/or a treble thing.

It's a shame because I like everything else about it (except I prefer creamier neck pickups and am eyeing up stuff like the '59). I don't know if it's because it's in a swamp ash (w/ebony board) guitar, pickup height or what. I didn't have this issue with the Distortion but then again that was in a waffeur thin mahogany body.

A bit puzzled as to what possible alternatives there are. I like tight ceramic bite and brightness but not the aforementioned issue. It's that tiny thing that's preventing a fun pickup from being a viable recording pickup, for me.

Maybe try to replace the allen screws with regular flat head screws? I heard allen screws can add more aggression to the sound, and the BWs have an ungodly aggressive mid range kinda like the BKP Painkillers I find.

NeglectedField

Reaction score
Maybe try to replace the allen screws with regular flat head screws? I heard allen screws can add more aggression to the sound, and the BWs have an ungodly aggressive mid range kinda like the BKP Painkillers I find.

Yeah? Are these screws easy to find and do all pickups use the same thread type? And is it fairly obvious and straightforward a procedure or do you have to be super delicate to avoid damaging the pickup? If this saves me a heap of cash, that'd be awesome.

kleinenenten

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been interested in these pickups for a while, and was browsing for a new to me 7 string last night. Found a good old Ibanez SR7321 with Black Winters already installed for cheap. My buddy has that model with the Nazgul/Sentient combo, and it sounds amazing. We’ll see how it sounds compared to mine! Should have it some time this week week. Two birds - one stone. Psyched.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah? Are these screws easy to find and do all pickups use the same thread type? And is it fairly obvious and straightforward a procedure or do you have to be super delicate to avoid damaging the pickup? If this saves me a heap of cash, that'd be awesome.

I'm not totally sure the procedure or if it'll actually 100% solve the problem, but Its worth a shot. Check the Duncan forums and theres probably some threads on how to swap hex screws for flatheads, and vice versa.

PRS_Baritone_Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Have you tried adjusting the individual pole piece screws to see if that gets rid of that 'nag/dwang' sound you're hearing? I'd try raising them a couple of turns to see if it changes anything.

If you are thinking about swapping the screws out for a different head shape, from what I've read the length of the screw has a lot to do with the tone of the string as well. Here's an article I found on Seymour Duncan's website about the pole piece screw size and length - https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/tinkering-with-pickups-101

Latest posts

')