SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dhgrind

Reaction score
tuned to A on a 26.5" 7 string Aristides (ngd incoming btw) they sound pretty good to me =)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
My Brawley Hardtail is in the shop getting a set put in as we speak! Super excited. It's also getting strap locks installed and a setup. Hopefully it'll be done sometime next week, the local shop has a bit of a backlog, and they're also working on my new RG8.

Specs on the Brawley since I'm almost certain I'm the only one on the forum who has one:
Mahogany body
Maple top
Bolt-on maple neck/Rosewood fretboard
25.5" scale

Won't be tuning much lower than DADFAD, DADGAD, or DADFAE

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
One of the best nick pickups out there. I love the bridge for most anything metal. I have them in a SZ2020, Viper, and a San Dimas Style 2. I still want to order my custom version, the "Nuclear Winter" with A8s instead of Ceramics.

SD should pay you for this idea IMO.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Specs on the Brawley since I'm almost certain I'm the only one on the forum who has one:

Brawley's are sick for the price! I personally love the stock Alnico II pickups on the one I (used to) have. The ones produced by Laguna just aren't as good IMO.

I traded mine away for a Hagstrom XL-2, which then was stolen. Both rare and awesome guitars, for ~$300.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Brawley's are sick for the price! I personally love the stock Alnico II pickups on the one I (used to) have. The ones produced by Laguna just aren't as good IMO.

I traded mine away for a Hagstrom XL-2, which then was stolen. Both rare and awesome guitars, for ~$300.

High five to a fellow (former) Brawley owner. I think we're a rare breed. :D

Oh wow, so THAT's where Keith went! A quick Google search brought up that unmistakable Sharkbite headstock. Looks like there's a used one at a GC somewhere:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/La...-Rose-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112447123.gc

They are super obscure guitars. As soon as my A124HT popped up on eBay, in TRANS RED (my favorite color of the bunch), I had to grab it. Especially when it was only $150 and was hardly used. :yesway:

The features on those guitars at retail price in 2005-ish or whenever they were in stores were an amazing bang for the buck. Although the stock pickups don't sound bad, they just seem kind of plain to me. Very clear, but not a lot of character or impact to them. I also love the lightweight nature of the guitar, it's almost comparable to an Ibanez S series. Makes me wonder if they were chambered.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
High five to a fellow (former) Brawley owner. I think we're a rare breed. :D

Oh wow, so THAT's where Keith went! A quick Google search brought up that unmistakable Sharkbite headstock. Looks like there's a used one at a GC somewhere:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/La...-Rose-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112447123.gc

They are super obscure guitars. As soon as my A124HT popped up on eBay, in TRANS RED (my favorite color of the bunch), I had to grab it. Especially when it was only $150 and was hardly used. :yesway:

The features on those guitars at retail price in 2005-ish or whenever they were in stores were an amazing bang for the buck. Although the stock pickups don't sound bad, they just seem kind of plain to me. Very clear, but not a lot of character or impact to them. I also love the lightweight nature of the guitar, it's almost comparable to an Ibanez S series. Makes me wonder if they were chambered.

I have 2 lagunas and they're both super solid guitars for the money. my sunburst one is getting a titan put in soon :hbang:

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Kieth Brawley did sell the rights to Laguna, and he worked for them through GC for a little while. He currently works for Taylor Guitars. Sorry, didn't mean to get so OT. Black Winters rock!

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Kieth Brawley did sell the rights to Laguna, and he worked for them through GC for a little while. He currently works for Taylor Guitars. Sorry, didn't mean to get so OT. Black Winters rock!

That's kinda how forums go, methinks. Either way, it's interesting to hear about what became of my favorite under-the-radar guitar brand of yore.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Read the title and came here expecting to see some metal in church...carry on.

Kind of a necro reply, but I actually played a black winter loaded guitar that I owned during a church gig at one point.

Even played a few sabbath riffs when everyone was distracted \m/

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
^ well how did it sound?

Blasphemous! :hbang:

Jk

That guitar and pickup combo rarely let me down, I was playing everything from blues to death metal it always sounded great. The guitar was a PRS Torero. I ended up selling it to fund a baritone. I love my baritones but I still would like to revisit the BW's at some point. They were f_cking brutal.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
The bridge pickup was easily the earthiest, woodiest sounding high output pickup I've ever played. Super high output but insanely natural sounding.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
The bridge pickup was easily the earthiest, woodiest sounding high output pickup I've ever played. Super high output but insanely natural sounding.

It seems I've read so much feedback about the neck pickup in this set being the star of the show. Can't wait till my axe gets back from the shop!

I also appreciate how a "super brootalz" pickup set has ended up being an accidentally amazingly versatile set for many other styles. Rumor has it even blues guys have swapped these into their solid bodies for the articulation at lower gain levels.

Gila_Crisis

Reaction score
I mounted a BW in the bridge of a Schecter SLS C7 7 string guitars paired with the original SD Jazz at the Neck. I play everything from ambient, jazz and dub, up to doom metal and noise and the BW does always a wonderful job! Also the clean sounds are super sweet!
I don't understand the black metal hype SD has put on these PUs since I find it out to be sooo versatile!
Now I'w ordered a new custom made guitar (6 string baritone with Aluminum Neck! search Nude Guitars: a really cool italian guitar builder!) and we'll be putting a set of BW in this new one ^_^

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
^ so you replaced the stock Full Shred with a BW? How would you compare them? I love my FS's but I'm considering the BW's for an upcoming guitar

Gila_Crisis

Reaction score
I decided to change the Full Shred, because it lacked low frequencies! I liked its bright tone, but I couldn't live without my beloved low frequencies .
So after a bit of a search I went for the BW and I'm really glad about it, it retained the clarity I was seeking for, but with the added low end I was missing on the FS.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I decided to change the Full Shred, because it lacked low frequencies! I liked its bright tone, but I couldn't live without my beloved low frequencies .
So after a bit of a search I went for the BW and I'm really glad about it, it retained the clarity I was seeking for, but with the added low end I was missing on the FS.

Does Black Winter have kind of strong lower mid section? I ask, because it's hard to justify from all these videos how it would really sound and feel in person. Clarity and presence is what these pup's have, but not as shrill as Nazgul or Distortion.

KailM

Reaction score
^^It is a pretty balanced pickup. They say the EQ on it is 666, lol. But that's actually pretty close to the truth. I would actually say it's closer to 10 11 10 because it's really aggressive at all frequencies. The mids have the edge though, over the other frequencies. They provide this nice grind that cuts through the mix, but is not shrill.

What I like about it is there is a healthy amount of low-end, but not so much that it's boomy; I guess you could say it's got plenty of low-mids/high bass if that's what you're after. So it's perfect for older sounding death metal (not modern death-core which is just an offshoot of djent) and pretty much any black metal or thrash sound you want provided you adjust your amp for it. If you want to hear another clip, here's a song I did which features a little bit of everything from the Black Winters; bridge-only on all heavy parts, both pups on cleans, and a mix of the neck and bridge for leads, depending on the part. But it's all one guitar through a 6505 (cleans were through my Peavey Classic 30 though):

https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/the-gathering-of-hostsfist-of-the-heavens

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Does Black Winter have kind of strong lower mid section? I ask, because it's hard to justify from all these videos how it would really sound and feel in person. Clarity and presence is what these pup's have, but not as shrill as Nazgul or Distortion.

When I was rocking the BW set the thing that sticks in my memory was the lows. I don't recall ever playing a bridge pup that seemed to accentuate such subsonic bass frequencies. It was awesome! DEEP lows but tight as all get out. Gonna have to get another set.

I agree with KailM in regards to the balance in terms of mids/highs, but for some reason I distinctly remember the low end was monstrous but in a really good way. Maybe it was just with my setup or maybe I had a set with something wrong?

')