SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KailM

Reaction score
^^Nice work! Your playing was just fine! Now I'd love to hear someone do a demo just like that with the Nazgul...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
^that demo sounded great. proof the the black winter isnt too bright in alder bodied bolt ons. although you can hear more of that high midrange snarl come through, it stays warmer than an sd distortion.

Shask

Reaction score
^that demo sounded great. proof the the black winter isnt too bright in alder bodied bolt ons. although you can hear more of that high midrange snarl come through, it stays warmer than an sd distortion.

Yeah, I agree. It definitely has an upper mid grind, but not what I would call "harsh".

I am thinking it might work in a maple/alder neckthrough.

aceinet

Reaction score

I could never get along with a SD Distortion. Didn't have the problem with the BW.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a sloppy clip of the Nazgul in my SL2H not playing djent - tuned to Drop C:

And also recorded a clip of the Black Winter in my Schecter C-1 Stealth using the same settings - Tuned to Drop B:

Not the greatest audio quality or playing as it was just recorded with my iPhone while on my lunch break today, but hopefully you can get an idea.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
THIS. I want this.

Finally found some alder body BW clips last night digging on youtube. About half sounded killer the other half sounded way harsh, but the recording on a lot of them wasn't good. My tendency when choosing pickups is to balance a guitar out, but maybe there's something to be said for the hyper aggressive alder-BW combo...
Dangling a trade out there, but may buy that or a Custom for my So Cal. However, not sure how far out those purchases will be, but I'm guessing not anytime soon.

Consider it done. Though I should probably change my strings before doing an intentional pickup demo.

In the meantime, I recorded this yesterday with my Nazgul loaded Ibanez. The guitar tone is the Ola Satan patch on Bias with some tweaking.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Been using it since it came out, amazing pickup for my style, super aggressive yet defined.

I recorded this whole album with my ARZ307 that had a custom 7-string Black Winter.
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/album/lucifer-rising

And now, I've been using a custom 6-string Black Winter live in this custom Les Paul I got.

E3KgDSa.jpg

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
Heres a couple of my current Winter Brigadiers. Found I particularly like them in set/thru neck mahogany bodied guitars. So here's a set in a Mako TR-2 (Japanese Bich copy from the 80's.... also my first real guitar... had this axe since 1995, and recently "revived" it). Other guitar is a Halo Hellfire.

DSCN3318_zpswxaztx7k.jpg

DSCN3317_zpstr3qxq43.jpg

These both sound awesome! Been doing alot of blackened thrash stuff with these and it's perfect (especially with the Uberschall, Engl, and Deizel models in my AxeFX Ultra).

Gonna be doing a little experiment though. Got a couple of Seymour Duncan BMP-1 modular preamps coming in the mail. I remember having awesome results in the past using these in conjunction with a Full Shred, and an Invader (yes, an Invader...sounds overkill? It was actually really thick and tight). One of them ought to arrive tomorrow. Gonna go in the Mako first. Should prove eeeeeenterestink! :hbang:

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
And lest we forget, the White Winter Of Electric Excretion :hbang:

DSCN3323_zps4zgdslmz.jpg

DSCN3322_zpsct0cxei8.jpg

Okay.... so just an update. I got the BMP-1 Blackouts preamp today. So far tried it in the Mako with the Black Winter set in there. Sounded good, but honestly, I prefer the BW's without it methinks. Thickened them up, but the high end started to seemed a little fuzzed and couldn't quite dial it out. Backed the pickups away from the strings more as well, didn't really help. Highs just seemed more clear and razor like without the BMP. That said, may go again with the BMP and the Invader combo that I remember having good results with in the past. Got a Warlock and a black LTD V loaded with Invaders.

Moral of the story... don't frak with the Black Winter. It is more than effective on its own :metal:

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Since this thread has expanded into BW and friends, I'll post up this video I tried to make before my daughter's craziness made it too hard to continue. Clock is always ticking.
This is my custom SD "Obsidian" bridge which is a Nazgul with the articulation of the Black Winter and a touch of the JB's low end in my ESP Custom Shop Horizon (alder body, flame maple top, maple neckthrough/fb). Considering the BW is very defined by the mids, it's basically the best of the BW and Nazgul, IMO. Playing through a 5153 50 watt w/ matching 2x12" as best I could while my daughter's decided to intervene.

xwestonx

Reaction score
Curious on if there is a strong opinion on the BW vs the Nazgul? My Mayones Duvell Elite 7 came with the Nazgul / Sentient combo, but I find the BW very intriguing. I am mostly playing atmospheric / experimental / post black metal type of stuff. Clarity is essential since I enjoy using extended chord voicings in my writing. I am happy so far with the Nazgul (way better than my EMG loaded guitars), but would I get more mileage out of the black winters? Opinions on the sentient vs BW neck?

Alternatively I could swap out my stock pick ups on my Schecter Chris Poland Poltergeist... I don't particularly like the pickups on that guitar. That would give me the chance to A/B test the two sets to a degree.

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Dam this thread has me gassin for the Black Winters again!

I need to re-visit the BW set. Had them in an all walnut Carvin ST300c and liked the pickups but not the tone through the amp I had at the time (PV Triple XXX 2). That amp was so harsh and honky in the upper mids and harsh in the highs. I moved the BWs on a hopeless pickup search trying to correct the things I didn't like about the amp.

Well I've since ditched that amp and now play on an Engl Savage 120 and an Engl FB100 and really think I need to try the Black Winters again.

lewis

Reaction score
so would these work in an alder body, maple neck, rosewood board, bolt on strat?

25,5 scale tuned to drop A#, going for that architects/monuments style etc

KailM

Reaction score
I have gone as low as drop-B with mine and they just killed it on that tuning. I didn't even have the guitar setup for that (strings too thin), but it handled the tuning just fine. Brutal as hell. Currently they're tuned to D Standard for most of my black metal material but I just did a new more death-metal-ish track in Drop-C. I already posted it on this forum but it belongs in the Black Winter Worship thread!!!

Here's the track. Ever wondered how BWs sound through a Boss HM-2 AND a 6505? Here it is: https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/ur-avgrunden-han-stiger-v-20

Shask

Reaction score
I still plan on getting a set of these once the funds rotate to pickups again, lol. I am worried they might be too bright in the guitar I want to put them in, but I think it would be worth it to check them out!

Latest posts

')