SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Swapped the EMG 81 for a Black Winter on my RR24M. EMGs have their place but a BW is so much better in this guitar at least.

BWinter.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
View attachment 64174 Chucked a BW into my new Charvel, replacing the JB for drop B.

You guys should have told me about this thing years ago, damn you
I did.... but you didn't listen, lol.

It is one of my favorite passive pickups right now. It is the perfect amount of chug, balanced with a good amount of clarity.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I did.... but you didn't listen, lol.

It is one of my favorite passive pickups right now. It is the perfect amount of chug, balanced with a good amount of clarity.

I don’t get it, what are you saying, that I don’t listen?!

Should’ve listened lol

You’re right. To me it’s the Fishman Modern version of a passive; so chunky/chuggy but I can hear everything.

What were you saying? I wasn’t listening...

You got any other advice? Should I buy a Schecter or anything?

Dude you know what’s interesting to me?

Got a buddy that’s an 81/Blackout DIEHARD fan...he won’t play anything else, he HATED all the BKPs I showed him, hated the Distortion, hated the D-Activator etc etc...

Dude fuckin LOVED and I mean straight up LOVED the McCarty pickups I had in my 99 and that I later chucked into my LP; literally begged me to sell them to him. Only passives I’ve liked better have been this BW.

It’s GOOD.

Shask

Reaction score
I don’t get it, what are you saying, that I don’t listen?!

Should’ve listened lol

You’re right. To me it’s the Fishman Modern version of a passive; so chunky/chuggy but I can hear everything.

What were you saying? I wasn’t listening...

You got any other advice? Should I buy a Schecter or anything?

Dude you know what’s interesting to me?

Got a buddy that’s an 81/Blackout DIEHARD fan...he won’t play anything else, he HATED all the BKPs I showed him, hated the Distortion, hated the D-Activator etc etc...

Dude fuckin LOVED and I mean straight up LOVED the McCarty pickups I had in my 99 and that I later chucked into my LP; literally begged me to sell them to him. Only passives I’ve liked better have been this BW.

It’s GOOD.
I haven't tried those PRS pickups, but I am sure the BW is completely different since PRS pickups are not very high output. The BWs to me sound like a tweaked Distortion/Invader mix, that has more clarity, and is band-passed (high and low cut), to give them more clarity. I feel like they are the best compromise of all of the other Duncan pickups.... they have the best parts of the others, without the annoying parts.

Yes, I have been mostly playing my BWs in my Kiesel, and my Fishman Moderns in my SE Floyd. I have been loving both for now. Considering getting another set of one of them for my other PRS SE.

Yes, Schecters are always good, lol.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I haven't tried those PRS pickups, but I am sure the BW is completely different since PRS pickups are not very high output. The BWs to me sound like a tweaked Distortion/Invader mix, that has more clarity, and is band-passed (high and low cut), to give them more clarity. I feel like they are the best compromise of all of the other Duncan pickups.... they have the best parts of the others, without the annoying parts.

Yes, I have been mostly playing my BWs in my Kiesel, and my Fishman Moderns in my SE Floyd. I have been loving both for now. Considering getting another set of one of them for my other PRS SE.

Yes, Schecters are always good, lol.

Dude....he's a MEGA HIGH GAIN/OUTPUT guy...the PRSs are low output, but what that means is it's the first time he could hear what he was playing in years LMAO...that's why he dug em. I've told him for literally years to turn down his gain but he won't listen...

Shask

Reaction score
Dude....he's a MEGA HIGH GAIN/OUTPUT guy...the PRSs are low output, but what that means is it's the first time he could hear what he was playing in years LMAO...that's why he dug em. I've told him for literally years to turn down his gain but he won't listen...
I find I tend to prefer high output pickups... I just like the consistency in the pick attack from the compression. I don't like it all squashed though. I think that is why I like the Black Winter. It is like they have enough compression to have a strong pick attack, but un-compressed enough to have low end chug.

I use too much gain also, lol. I find I use even more on digital units than analog units.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
How close is the Black Winter to the Fishman Modern Voice 2? I watched a video in Youtube (black metal demo) that compares them both. Sounds around the same ballpark but I couldn't hear too well since the drums were louder in the mix. Anyone who has experience with both care to elaborate?

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
Looks to me like the “blackened” black winter. That thing is killer. I’m contemplating getting one with white bobbins and black bolts from the shop floor custom thing.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
How close is the Black Winter to the Fishman Modern Voice 2? I watched a video in Youtube (black metal demo) that compares them both. Sounds around the same ballpark but I couldn't hear too well since the drums were louder in the mix. Anyone who has experience with both care to elaborate?
moderns are clearer and generally brighter ime. v2 has a good amount of low end and chugs like a mofo, just like the black winters. They have different midranges ime. Moderns are far less grindy (v2 is slightly scooped iirc), and the black winters have a bit of hair on the high end comparatively.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
moderns are clearer and generally brighter ime. v2 has a good amount of low end and chugs like a mofo, just like the black winters. They have different midranges ime. Moderns are far less grindy (v2 is slightly scooped iirc), and the black winters have a bit of hair on the high end comparatively.

This guy knows his stuff. I have them both in 25.5” scale guitars and this description is pretty much dead on.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I feel so dumb for selling my Black Winter without doing a proper A/B with the Fluence pups I have now. But I miss that grind down the mids. It's sort of thick like an Invader but not as huge. The Invader is my fave Duncan pickup. But the Black Winter is clearer and tighter.

Shask

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I feel so dumb for selling my Black Winter without doing a proper A/B with the Fluence pups I have now. But I miss that grind down the mids. It's sort of thick like an Invader but not as huge. The Invader is my fave Duncan pickup. But the Black Winter is clearer and tighter.
I keep saying I think the Black Winter sounds like a tweaked Distortion/Invader mix, that has been low passed and high passed to be clearer.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
Did you guys notice that the new LTD Viper 7 has blackened black winters? I have never seen the blackened variant in 7 strings. I hope they market these. Look nicer than the gloss std 7 version.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Did you guys notice that the new LTD Viper 7 has blackened black winters? I have never seen the blackened variant in 7 strings. I hope they market these. Look nicer than the gloss std 7 version.

All 3 Black Metal Ltd's have these. That's how I accidentally found this pickup and had to buy one.

Latest posts

')