SD Custom 7 & Jazz 7 = harsh highs in mahogany Ibanez 7

• Thread starter Ugg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I use a 500k volume and 250k tone in my Soloist with the Duncan Custom. I actually didn't plan it that way--that's what I had on hand when I swapped pickups from the original Jackson active setup, and it just worked out right.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
remember that pickup height from the strings plays a big role. i've been running my pickups much lower lately, 1/4-3/8" away from the strings. it's not quite noodles distance, 1/2" or more, but it still rounds / mellows the tone a lot. Edit: glad to see that that helped.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm just used to EMG's and Dimarzio's being up on the strings. Once I lowered the Duncans the gain came back and the sound was a lot better. They still have more treble than the EVO7 and AN7, but the midrange bite and Duncan tone make up for it. Lowering the pickups also fixed the percussive thud I was getting when speed picking on the high strings.

Excellent, glad we could help. :yesway:

More treble is a hallmark of the Jazz. I find that it may not have the saturation of many neck pickups, but the clear, articulate tone actually makes the neck position usable with high gain. Your complaints with the Custom can be cured with a magnet swap. Scott, you have any magnets left by chance?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
remember that pickup height from the strings plays a big role. i've been running my pickups much lower lately, 1/4-3/8" away from the strings. it's not quite noodles distance, 1/2" or more, but it still rounds / mellows the tone a lot. Edit: glad to see that that helped.

Noodles distance. :lol:

I never intended it that way. I just kept backing it off until it sounded right to me. I think how hard I pick has something to do with it. FWIW my Jazz is at a much more reasonable distance.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i ditched the V30's in my Mesa Nomad 2x12 combo, and bought a Mesa C90 from a forumite not long ago. it's incredible! the difference is pretty startling. the lows are tight, the highs are clearer, and the midrange is useable.

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
i ditched the V30's in my Mesa Nomad 2x12 combo, and bought a Mesa C90 from a forumite not long ago. it's incredible! the difference is pretty startling. the lows are tight, the highs are clearer, and the midrange is useable.
my main speaker is a Celestion G12 80w Silver Something-or-other that's real broken in, and i much prefer the darker sound of that to V30s.

noodles said:
Scott, you have any magnets left by chance?
all the extras have been spoken for. :(

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
So what's a good alternative to the V30's? Eminence Guvernors? I have a spare Marshall 2x12 cab I can use for testing speakers. (The V30's are in my 4x12.)

Some Eminence's are horrible (like the ones they use in Krank cabinets), some are great (like the VHT ones). Just depends. Beyond that, C90s are always a great option. V30s really just aren't a great choice for high-gain IMO.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Some Eminence's are horrible (like the ones they use in Krank cabinets), some are great (like the VHT ones). Just depends. Beyond that, C90s are always a great option. V30s really just aren't a great choice for high-gain IMO.

This is pretty much true of any speaker manufacturer. I really hate Celestion V30s, but Greenbacks are some of the most amazing rock/blues speakers ever made.