SD distortion/Jazz in Ibanez 7421 problems

• Thread starter MikeNeal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeNeal

Reaction score
long time lurker first time poster.

so, i installed a SD distortion in the bridge, and a Jazz in the neck.

seymour duncan didn't have a wiring diagram for the stupid Ibanez 5 way switch, so i used a diagram i found elsewhere online.

i soldered everything up, but i get no sound, not even a buzz.

all my connections are solid, and the pickups are brand new.

it worked before i swapped in the SD pickups.

needless to say, im confused

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

inactive0909

Reaction score
The wiring diagram attached is the one I always use. All you need to do is look at the color code chart I have attached swap the ibanez wires around with the duncan ones.

Hope you get it sorted, enjoy!

Attachments

• Ibanez RG7xxx Wiring.gif
    Ibanez RG7xxx Wiring.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 9
  • PickupColorCodeChart-1.jpg
    PickupColorCodeChart-1.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 5

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Try hooking up each pickup straight to the jack separately just to make sure there's nothing wrong with them, then redo the wiring again with the switch and everything

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
The black Duncan wires go to the hot on the jack - the red and white wires are soldered together, and the green goes to the jack ground.

I've toasted a couple of those Ibanez switches with too much heat before and they produced the same issue you're having - it's unlikely but possible.

Put up a picture of what you've got going on and we'll get you figured out, no problem.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I've toasted a couple of those Ibanez switches with too much heat before and they produced the same issue you're having - it's unlikely but possible.

I also had this happen a while back to the stock switch on an RG. Replaced it and it was fine after, plus it's a good reason to get a switch that doesn't "click"

MikeNeal

Reaction score
im thinking thats whats happened.

i had some trouble soldering a couple of the connections and had the heat on the switch for quite a while

Latest posts

')