SD Jazz/JB vs BKP Juggernaut

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
Great video. I'm looking forward to hearing what other think of it. For me, I have a bias against JB/Jazz as I've had that combo before a couple times and didn't like it.

What do you think?

BabUShka

Reaction score
I like the Jazz, its clear and bright, just how I like my neck pickup.

As for the JB, I've had it in different guitars. Its OK, but not my favourite. So I also wote for the Juggs in bridge.

shpence

Reaction score
Juggernaut bridge > JB
Jazz > Jugg neck

Completely agree. I recently replaced the neck Juggernaut with a Jazz in an old C-1 and it was a good move. I didn't know a 7 string version of the Jazz existed until I just checked. I've wanted to try a Jazz/Jupiter combo and might do that for a 7 string of mine now! Most of my guitars have BKP sets in them but I really don't like the neck versions of Juggs/Ragnaroks/Warpig/Nailbomb for whatever reason.

Cool video @alexanderhelling !

Intellex222

Reaction score
Thank you guys for responding. Tbh i quite liked the Jazz/JB combo but wanted more clarity in the bridge for high gain. The neck is a little bit to warm for my taste but i can shape to tone on the axe fx so it's not a problem. The JB had something very interesting that i liked, may not be the clearst pickups but it's very full sounding.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
JB and 59 set for me is the ultimate standard rock set. Followed closely by Dimarzio TZ/AN.

Specialized pickups like Juggs are good for what they are but not good overall IMO. I like them in my Mayones for metal and downtuned stuff. That’s about it. YMMV.

Anyone ever try a JB in the neck?

Yup. Killer. Dual JB is a common “hot” set for Les Pauls.

Apparently Tommy Thayer likes it because they’re stock in his signature guitars.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I fell back onto the JB which was originally installed in my esp. As a neck pickup i prefer the 59 to the jazz, mainly because i only tried the jazz briefly. 59 is the best neck pu ever in my humble opinion. Split sounds are really really snappy.

And the jb checks every box i need.
Only set i prefer to the jb/59 is the di marzio titan set.
I got around to install them back into my ltd and they just do everything the way i want them to do.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
JB and 59 set for me is the ultimate standard rock set. Followed closely by Dimarzio TZ/AN.

Specialized pickups like Juggs are good for what they are but not good overall IMO. I like them in my Mayones for metal and downtuned stuff. That’s about it. YMMV.

Yup. Killer. Dual JB is a common “hot” set for Les Pauls.

Apparently Tommy Thayer likes it because they’re stock in his signature guitars.

I figure I may as well give it a try cause JBs are easy to come by and can throw it in the neck and see if I like it.

Intellex222

Reaction score
Now that i've been playing them for a few days, i'm kinda surprised the jb is higher in output than the juggs. The chugs are kinda lacking atm. Should i raise the pickups more (4mm at bass and 3-4 at treble side atm) or just change my axe preset?

Alex79

Reaction score
It might be the guitar; I have both pickups and I feel the Juggernaut is quite different. Lower in output, but faster bass response, more transparent and present under high gain. It also feels less compressed and can just "drink" up more gain than other pickups. Finally, it handles low tunings much better than the JB; I always feel the JB only works in E to D tunings.

The JB has a classic sound and the Juggernaut a much more modern sound, you can't really compare them.

Alex79

Reaction score
Now that i've been playing them for a few days, i'm kinda surprised the jb is higher in output than the juggs. The chugs are kinda lacking atm. Should i raise the pickups more (4mm at bass and 3-4 at treble side atm) or just change my axe preset?

Yes, BKP are known for being more sensitive to the height setting. Try a couple of heights to see what works best; some work better higher, some better lower.

Seymour Duncans tend to be quite loud with a lot of output in the first place and the Juggernaut is not even a high output pickup anyway, it is very much medium output in my book. Just raise the gain.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Jazz neck clean was the heat clean tone out of all the cleans in my opinion. I didn't care for either bridge on clean though splitting them helped. Any of them split sounded pretty good to me on the cleans.

On the Sylosis tones either bridge was a toss up. They both had good qualities for that kind of riffing.

Intellex222

Reaction score
I'll mess around with the pickup height and amp tones more tomorrow. I really wanted the clarity for high gain and the bkp definitely does that perfectly, it just feels a bit sterile after having the jb for so long. Mishas words about picking hard are absolutely true. The pickups shows you exactly how consistent your right hand is.

Crazy_Guitar

Reaction score
Fantastic! They're incredibly close!
(Either that or your amps don't let them "breathe"... :D )

I was GASing for a Juggernaut set. Now I'm not!
I have several instances of the JB and it's one of my "go to" pickups. It's tight, reliable and very balanced. The 59/JB set is one of my Seymour Duncan favourites and, to be honest, you cannot go wrong with it!

From your video, I found the Juggernaut set a bit more focused. They are really designed for the Djent scene! But still, pretty good overall!
I recently installed a DiMarzio Titan set on an Ibanez S and now I'm curious about how that compares to the Juggernauts (and Ragnaroks).

Crazy_Guitar

Reaction score
Yes, BKP are known for being more sensitive to the height setting. Try a couple of heights to see what works best; some work better higher, some better lower.
It's funny you say that! I have a set of Black Hawks 7 and I found that exactly. I was sort of dazzled, because it seemed to me that I was doing something wrong.
I also found that with the Titans. Could it be something to do with being "modern" pickups?

Intellex222

Reaction score
Fantastic! They're incredibly close!
(Either that or your amps don't let them "breathe"... :D )

I was GASing for a Juggernaut set. Now I'm not!
I have several instances of the JB and it's one of my "go to" pickups. It's tight, reliable and very balanced. The 59/JB set is one of my Seymour Duncan favourites and, to be honest, you cannot go wrong with it!

From your video, I found the Juggernaut set a bit more focused. They are really designed for the Djent scene! But still, pretty good overall!
I recently installed a DiMarzio Titan set on an Ibanez S and now I'm curious about how that compares to the Juggernauts (and Ragnaroks).
DI's for everything but the crunch sounds are available if you wamt to reamp. I don't think they sound very similar, at least when i play them they feel very different.

Strobe

Reaction score
DI's for everything but the crunch sounds are available if you wamt to reamp. I don't think they sound very similar, at least when i play them they feel very different.

Great demo, and I feel you there. I believe I can make most pickups sound like most other pickups, especially with gain. It is the feel, more so than the sound, that differs from pickup to pickup.

')