Sd Jb for drop tunings

• Thread starter Intellex222
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
I think there are better options like some mentioned here (i.e. Black Winter, Full Shred) and lately I've loved the SH5 Custom for lower tunings.
But I used a JB for years with downtuning, from straight D tuning to drop A#, and it worked quite well.
String gauge and what kind of EQ and overdrive you're using is going to make a big difference too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think there are better options like some mentioned here (i.e. Black Winter, Full Shred) and lately I've loved the SH5 Custom for lower tunings.
But I used a JB for years with downtuning, from straight D tuning to drop A#, and it worked quite well.
String gauge and what kind of EQ and overdrive you're using is going to make a big difference too.

Gonna be honest, as much as I dogged on the JB here, I significantly prefer it over the Full Shred myself.

He had a signature pickup with Dean so he hasn’t used the JB for quite a long time.

IIRC its heavily based on the JB still, but for all the classic Arch Enemy stuff people actually care about, it's mostly been JB.

Zhysick

Reaction score
I absolutely prefer a JB for lower tunings than standard tuning... it gets nicer but you will never have super tight djent style low end. If that is what you want look elsewhere. If you don't need that, it's a nice pickup.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wata also uses a JB and she often (well, mostly?) tunes to A#.

Last edited:

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fair, I saw Amott and my brain went straight to "we're just mentioning low-tuned guitarists using JBs" even if he's close enough.

That's what I get for posting in the few seconds I have between tasks at work.:flame:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Fair, I saw Amott and my brain went straight to "we're just mentioning low-tuned guitarists using JBs" even if he's close enough.

That's what I get for posting in the few seconds I have between tasks at work.:flame:

Amott def had some killer tones during the Gossow era. Doomsday sounds fucking huuuuge.

EDIT: probably the best sounding example of a Krank amp as well.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
^Definitely reminds me of certain Shadows Fall guitar tones as far as the Krank amp goes.

Intellex222

Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice. Since i am trying to safe some money i'll install the JB. It may not be the tightest pickup but i like the character it has.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice. Since i am trying to safe some money i'll install the JB. It may not be the tightest pickup but i like the character it has.
As you have it spare, it makes sense to at least try it. You can always swap it out later, if you're not content, without having lost anything. Personally, I would want tighter low-end.

Last edited:
')