SD Pearly Gates

• Thread starter Mattmc74
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a SD Pearly Gates/59 set in my Fender Showmaster that I totally love. I was thinking of swapping out the pups in my 7421 and I was wondering if there is a 7 set that is similar to this? Any help would be great.

And I would like them to be green in color, thats what the Blazes are right now and I would like to keep the same look.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Sorry man, I have no idea on what the seven string equivalents would be.

What do the Pearly Gates sound like?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Why not email Seymour Duncan and ask them? They're the experts!

Duncan will make seven-string humbuckers in any colour you want, as long as it's black.

frank falbo

Reaction score
Send in the green Dimarzios to be rewound to 59-7 and Pearly Gates-7 specs. It's a piece of cake and will cost the same or less than new pickups.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry man, I have no idea on what the seven string equivalents would be.

What do the Pearly Gates sound like?

It's hard to explain what they sound like over the computer :lol: and i'm not really good at explaining myself like that. It has a JB sound but just a little different. I'm suprised that are not used more.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
Matt, are you using the PG bridge or neck version in your Showmaster? i've only had experience with the neck model in my Gibson LP Custom, and i'll be damned if it isn't one of the best neck pickups i've used :agreed:. it just has a real gritty/ raw character while sounding beautiful at the same time. it's definitely a pickup you have to try first hand to understand IMO.

i've been tempted a few times to have a 7 string version made from the SD custom shop.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
The PG's is in the bridge and a reverse wound 59 in the neck. I would like to keep them green in color so the guitar keeps the same look it has now, but like Darren said SD will only do them in black.

I'm suprised that not more people are giving praise to the Pearly Gates pickup! Its an amazing sounding pup IMO.

Solstafir

Reaction score
Pearly Gates is definetely one pickup SD should have available as a 7. The 6string version is one of the best sounding neck pups around.

Grievous

Reaction score
I grabbed a PG randomly when i was searching for a fresh tone a few years back - at the time I had no idea what it sounded like or what it was for - put it in the neck of one of my ibbys and it sounds gnarly. Like a previous poster said it has a really sweet tone but at the same time kinda growly and gritty. Problem is i start to want to play blues with it which scares me a little bit :ugh:...lol

But anyway id definately go another one if it came out for 7s...

Reaction score
You could always try the Duncan custom shop. I emailed them earlier this week about making a Megadrive/JB-7 Hybrid. But I've decided to go with their Custom 7 humbucker instead. Im sure they'd be down for a pearly gates-7....probably in green too, since its custom and all. And if not? universaljems.com ... Bobbin Toppers FTW!

')