Searching for dat tight, thick bass tone

• Thread starter waroftheancients
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dax21

Reaction score
It's not a fair representation of their clean* sound which is very growly.
I really don't see why are you getting all upset as if I offended you somehow when what I said makes perfect sense.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
For 1k? Warwick > Spector > Ibanez, in that order. Go used. Warwicks and Spectors will have way more character than Ibby, with better build quality too.
^ I agree. If you are going to get into real basses, add USA Cirrus to the list and see if you can try any of these out. Once you've handled and experienced some high end instruments, you'll have better context for what Ibanez offers (mass produced mid-grade).

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw the Sterling Ray35 into the pool, bought one, way impressed with the overall range of tones - Does that growly clank that I love from Rays but also manages to run the gamot of vintage and more laid back sounds. Very versatile and really well built for the price, and especially on the 5 string the multi position switch and EQ allow for a very wide amount of tonal adjustment.

Ray35-HB-2.jpg

Got mine in this sexy finish right here :)

The only cons I can think of are that the body is quite big, it's comfortable and doesn't inhibit playing but it's slightly unexpected if you're used to things like Ibanez Soundgears.

It only has 22 frets, really doesn't bother me, but I can see that for some this could be unsatisfactory.

:D

Reaction score
I'd recommend a used German made Warwick. There are plenty to be had under $1k. Hands down best playing and sounding basses I have ever played or owned. Made my Fender feel like an actual toy to the point I sold it.

If you're going to spend under $600, I'd recommend Ibanez like others have, solid ones can be found pretty cheap. But if you're going to spend $600-$1000, I'd look no further than Warwick.

I got mine for $999 +tax, but I just saw a used German Warwick FNA 5 go for $610. I record using my Eden's D.I. output to my UX1's XLR input (no POD Farm), straight to Reaper. I am always very pleased with the tone I get.

Latest posts

')