Searching for meaty/djenty amp head..

Kokos

The seeker of meaty/djenty sound..
Reaction score
Hi there!

I've been watching few threads here for quite a while, but this is my first post here ever, so let me first say hi to you all! :) Hi!

First of all you need to know I have some neat gear already, but I'm not really aware what options available on market would address my taste and I'm still not quite satisfied with its sound..

Chain generally looks like this: Jackson Pro HT7 GB (yt: Jackson Ht7 pro Alta Luna) -> MXR Dyna Comp Mini Compressor M291 -> MXR Six Band EQ M109S -> MXR Bass Overdrive M89 (mostly used for bass guitar I have too) -> MXR Smart Gate Noise Gate M135 -> Bash Studio Head 20 (yt: Bash Manufacturing Studio Head 20 BashManufacturing; starts 2:26) -> Harley Benton G212 Vintage (yt: Harley Benton 2x12 cab review Aaron Aranda; starts 3:03)

I'm looking for deep, bassy, meaty, rather compressed, tight and modern sound. I really liked a demo of Peavey 5150 (yt: 5150 vs. 6505+ vs. 6505MH Shootout Ryan Bruce; starts 1:56; tone in that particular 1:56 minute), so I started to think whether it's time to replace the head, but while watching videos about this head I noticed that this is rather hi gain, sandy amp which I will not probably like. So I'm confused why on Ryan's video it sounds so good, whether this is matter of recording method? I'm confused and I'm starting to think I will never reach deep, meaty sound like this in rehearsal room environment.

Please let me know what you think, please advise what can be done to achieve this kind of tone, maybe I'm looking for something which is not achievable in home/rehearsal conditions...

Sorry for not linking directly to YT, but I'm not allowed to use links here yet. Thanks for your understanding. \m/

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for deep, bassy, meaty, rather compressed, tight and modern sound.

Deep, bassy... but tight? Those are generally diametrically opposed tones.

My guess would be a Mesa with a boost/OD in front to tighten up. But, to tighten up you are relieving some of the bassy, deep lows. Other recommendation is a VHT/Fryette Ultralead GEQ. Most bass I've ever heard yet still retaining clarity/articulation.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Modded boutique Marshalls are the fotm here

But you can’t go wrong with old standbys like boosted rectos

I quite like modern stuff like MI Megaliths or KSR/Rhodes

Off beat stuff like old soldano rack mount preamps are cool too.

It’s not about doing what one dude says it’s about trying and researching a lot of things until you stumble on what you like

Last edited:

bluffalo

Reaction score
The Green channel of the 5150/6505 is something you might like better than the Red. Go search YouTube specially for the green channel comparisons (with the crunch button on of course)

Don't be afraid, the green channel gets very mean, it's definitely not a clean channel, and it's got its own thing going on.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I'd try a boost, gate, and graphic eq on your current amp first if you haven't.

Gate first, then boost (overdrive pedal with level high, gain low, and tone to taste), then your amp, and a graphic eq in the loop.

The boost will suck bass out to tighten things up. Then you add more bass in in the effects loop (after the distortion) so you can get some meat without being too flubby. Also boost 1200hz-ish some.

Also sorry if I'm being overly pedantic and you already know what a "boost" is. :)

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
The Green channel of the 5150/6505 is something you might like better than the Red. Go search YouTube specially for the green channel comparisons (with the crunch button on of course)

Don't be afraid, the green channel gets very mean, it's definitely not a clean channel, and it's got its own thing going on.
I agree.

I pretty much only used the green channel boosted.

Kokos

The seeker of meaty/djenty sound..
Reaction score
Deep, bassy... but tight? Those are generally diametrically opposed tones.
Meaty djent tone is an oxymoron.
disagree, you can still get good chunky and cutting djenty tones, it's just about proper eq'ing, like any sound.
Sorry if terminology is wrong, I just try to describe what I hear with words. This is also why I refereed to a video with desired tone:
(1:56)

My guess would be a Mesa with a boost/OD in front to tighten up. But, to tighten up you are relieving some of the bassy, deep lows. Other recommendation is a VHT/Fryette Ultralead GEQ. Most bass I've ever heard yet still retaining clarity/articulation.
Thanks, I will check out the amps videos in the evening!

Have you tried a Bogner Uberschall?
No, but I also have Tech21 SansAmp GT2 somewhere around.. I thought it shouldn't be in chain as Bash head already has a preamp and has it's own character. Do you think it's worth a try? Where do you think it should be placed in chain exactly?

Modded boutique Marshalls are the fotm here
But you can’t go wrong with old standbys like boosted rectos
I quite like modern stuff like MI Megaliths or KSR/Rhodes
Off beat stuff like old soldano rack mount preamps are cool too.
It’s not about doing what one dude says it’s about trying and researching a lot of things until you stumble on what you like
Thanks! I will look at them in the evening. Any particular models you propose to look at before I will start my research?

I agree.
I pretty much only used the green channel boosted.
You both are absolutely right, I found some videos with green channel and I definitely prefer green. Still I'm not convinced this is right amp, as this is still mostly hi gain amp, very sandy from my point of view. I'm starting to think maybe amp is not the issue, could it be rather the pedals or knobs I use not really well?

I'd try a boost, gate, and graphic eq on your current amp first if you haven't.
Gate first, then boost (overdrive pedal with level high, gain low, and tone to taste), then your amp, and a graphic eq in the loop.
The boost will suck bass out to tighten things up. Then you add more bass in in the effects loop (after the distortion) so you can get some meat without being too flubby. Also boost 1200hz-ish some.
Also sorry if I'm being overly pedantic and you already know what a "boost" is. :)
This is very interesting advice! I never thought EQ pedal could be in effect loop and I always thought gate should stand next to distortion. I will try it, thanks for this suggestion. I don't have any boost pedal. Do you think I can use compressor, preamp or bass overdrive combination for this or it won't really work? Do you think this tone ingredient I'm looking for is a boost?

If you want chunk, tell your bassist to turn up the drive on his rig.
I play mostly alone, but you might be right I'm looking for something that other band members could provide. But still, Ryan from that video did that with just an amp I presume.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
The main thing a boost does is cut bass. Less bass before distortion means less flub.

Putting the geq in the loop is ideal but usually amp tone controls are after distortion, so what you might want to try without buying anything is this:

-Gate
-Graphic eq with everything below 800 reduced. Maybe cut some very highs too. Basically do a mid hump centered around 800-1500 (to taste)
-Amp (adjust your bass and resonance if you have it to add meat). Don't be afraid of mids either.

A big part of the sound also is technique. You need to be really good at muting your strings. Play around with your hand placement to get as tight a sound as possible, even unplugged. You don't want trailing resonances on your strings when you mute.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I was going to list all the amps with meat-related names but I got to two and couldn't think of any more.

Also, I was going to leave this alone, but "I liked the sound of this 5150/6505, what amp should I get?" doesn't seem like a drastically taxing question, they are abundant and attainable.

Last edited:

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Peavey 5150/6505 or Peavey Invective, PRS Archon, or any high gain amp + Horizon Nano Attack pedal.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It's getting to the point where if you don't have:

1) a 5150 or 6505

2) a (previously owned) Prestige Ibanez

3) fun with it

You maybe shouldn't even bother posting here.

Sub prestige out for les paul and you have another board too :lol:

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
It's getting to the point where if you don't have:

1) a 5150 or 6505

2) a (previously owned) Prestige Ibanez

3) fun with it

You maybe shouldn't even bother posting here.

Well, that is certainly a great starter kit and hard to not have fun with.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I was going to list all the amps with meat-related names but I got to two and couldn't think of any more.

Also, I was going to leave this alone, but "I liked the sound of this 5150/6505, what amp should I get?" doesn't seem like a drastically taxing question, they are abundant and attainable.

Was this one?

StreamImage.aspx