Searching for 'the one'. Help?

aeracura

Reaction score
So I've been looking for a while now to find that perfect 6 string, I'm not too sure if theres already a thread on smaller guitar manufactures/luthiers but I'm trying to find some out there, only problem is theres no way of me knowing if that guitar will feel good to me. I own a schecter c1 hellraiser and a c7 hellraiser. Both of these feel great but I just feel like they aren't crafted with a lot of care (obviously they're made in korea) don't get me wrong they are great instruments. I tried a few ltd's and I seem to like them but I can't find one that looks original, or at least not like every other guy in a metal band. I play melodic metalcore in drop b, so maybe a longer scale length could be beneficial. Anyways the bottom line is I'm looking for something that plays, sounds and feels great, but isn't made by the manufactures that just mass produce millions of guitars a year, and don't really care about every single guitar they make. A few brands I've been looking at are carvin, agile, cort? I guess they're bigger but I haven't seen many of them and a couple of various others that I cant remember. My budget is about 1000 but not firmly stuck. Anyone know any gems out there? Also thanks for anyone who takes the time to read, and huge thanks to anyone who replies!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Remission

Reaction score
As somebody in your position; who has owned a C1 and a C7 then going "well hell, I want to tune way down, and keep the tension there" I would recommend an Ibanez MMM1, basically a C1 (SZ series Ibanez) but its 28" scale. Could see this being the perfect fit for you. Same construction/woods/etc, but 28" and able to get down real deep :). IMHO the perfect compromise between a 27" 7 string agile and a 6 string baritone with the same feel as your Schecter C series guitars.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Adam of Angels just put up a for sale listing with like 12 guitars... I would suggest the same sig model as above but his PRS one that Adam has for sale in the classified section of the forum. (Having played both brands I found the PRS to be a lot nicer guitar)

JacobShredder

Reaction score
Go up $200 and buy a used Parker. Best guitars I've ever played period. Or a MusicMan JP6. Personally I prefer the Parker, but either are fine guitars. Used is the way to go IMO, great guitars to be had for cheap.

ras1988

Reaction score
There is also the Fender blacktop Bari-tele. I got one as an impulse buy while waiting for my Bari-Rico jr. to come in and it is a very interesting guitar to say the least. After a proper set up and possibly a bridge pickup swap it sounds and plays amazing in B and A tunings. The tele single coil neck and mid pickups add for a great clean tone and an interesting sub-guitar psuedo distorted bass sound when played with a decent helping of gain (particularly neck and middle in parallel). It's just a very unique instrument and relatively cheap too, about $520 if you ask and push the right way.

aeracura

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! I love and hate the extended scale length on my c7, makes some things extremely difficult while others much easier.I do like the idea of it though, I guess I'm just trying to say its not my main focus just an idea. I'm going to check these out though! where can I find that sale as well? Thanks :D

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Loads of dudes play drop B on normal 25.5 or 24.75 scale sixes.

Even though I'm broke as shit I've been wondering about the 1000-1200 bracket too:

Used Suhr Pro
Charvel Pro Mods or used USA models
Carvins (Contour 66 or HF2)
Lower/Used Prestige RGs, RGAs or Sabers
Used PRS CEs
LTD MH-1000NTs
Used ESP Horizon of some sort or an Edwards
Used EBMM of some sort
G&L of some sort
Used USA Jacksons (SLS Mainly)
Higher end BC Rich ASMs like the Guy Marchais sig

Lots of nice machines to be had for that amount of money.

JacobShredder

Reaction score
Ebay, or the sale section of these forums. Guitar center used section is awesome as well, but can be pricier than the first two.

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Gonna have to agree with the EBMM recommendations. I have an Indonesian built JP100 with mad mojo. I love the thing. I picked it up used from GuitarCenter for cheap. The previous owner had stuck a crunchlab/liquifire set in it. Couldn't be happier. I actually play it more than my RGD2120z. If I can ever swing it, a full blown JP is in my future.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
EVH Wolfgang Special... $1100 - $1350. Haven't tried drop B on mine, but it's in drop C and plays great.

5107901868_frt_wlg_001.png

5107901885_frt_wlg_001.png

EVH® Gear ... This Is What I Use.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Ibanez RGA121 - can be had used for around half your budget. MIJ Ibanez almost always feel more lively and comfortable than Korean or Indo/Chinese guitars to me. They feel like instruments to me, when lower end imports sometimes feel like toys.

thelarrinator

To Kill Achilles
Reaction score
Ibanez RGA121 - can be had used for around half your budget. MIJ Ibanez almost always feel more lively and comfortable than Korean or Indo/Chinese guitars to me. They feel like instruments to me, when lower end imports sometimes feel like toys.

^ couldnt agree with this more

aeracura

Reaction score
I hate but some how oddly love those EVH's the body looks stupid but beautiful at the same time, so strange. The higher priced ones have some extremely nice tops on them though! But deff out of my price range, I've always liked the rga's but for some reason I've always liked neck throughs and set neck guitars. I just got back from playing an LTD mh 350 nt, for a somewhat mid end LTD it played really nice! I may have forgotten to mention, I know I want playability but I really hate solid colors on guitars, I love seeing wood grain weather it be stained, or a natural wood with tung oil finish. Also I am trying to find a fixed bridge guitar, no tremolos. Either way you guys are posting a lot of great instruments that I may not have seen before and I thank you all! Still researching some of them though! You guys are great and I can see why people love this community so much!

broj15

Reaction score
Mark Okubo from Viel of Maya used an ibanez RGD2120z in alot of live footage i've seen and most, if not all, of thier stuff is in drop b (more recent live stuff will have his custom in it). I know you said no big manufactureres but judging by every prestige 6 and 7 i've played, there is obviously alot of care and attention to detail that goes ino them. I also recently saw a vid saying that all ibanez prestige necks ar shaped by hand. It also have the 26.5" scale that your used to with your c7 so making the change should be a breeze. I'm pretty sure thier is one for sale in the classifieds section on here.

aeracura

Reaction score
Although that rga121 is really nice! I like the gibralter standard bridge they put on the non-prestige rga's, also does anyone know anything about those ibanez vintage pickups? Don't they put those on some of the lower end ibanez's?

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Although that rga121 is really nice! I like the gibralter standard bridge they put on the non-prestige rga's, also does anyone know anything about those ibanez vintage pickups? Don't they put those on some of the lower end ibanez's?

V7's and V8's are like the default Ibanez pickups. Better than INF pickups but still a lot of people will switch them out.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
The catch with the Gibraltar Plus is that individual saddle height is nonadjustable. The V7 and V8 are okay pickups, but they're a little...lacking depending on what kind of distortion you go for. I really love their cleans though.

aeracura

Reaction score
Yeah I figured, I mean if I could get one for cheap enough I would probably through some nice ones in there, anyone know how beefy those john petrucci set of dimarzio's are?

')