Second build, Modern/BM/super strat

• Thread starter dankarghh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dankarghh

Reaction score
Hey Renk. The alcohol based thing came down to availability unfortunately. I even had to order that after searching around locally. Maybe I should try harder. I follow your builds closely and remember the finish being great.

The rear of the body is the worst part. First the mahogany itself isn't very nice, multi piece that isn't too asthetically pleasing. I drilled through the back when drilling between pup cavities (ha) and there was a few spots I had to grain fill which really pop out under stain.

Overall I just wasn't happy with it. I'll salvage the neck as I quite like it. I'll have to get my hands on some water based powdered dye in the mean time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely agree with turning the body into a test bed if not a separate project. Could always fill the mistakes up and then practice your solid colour painting skills.

Renkenstein

Reaction score
Hey Renk. The alcohol based thing came down to availability unfortunately. I even had to order that after searching around locally. Maybe I should try harder. I follow your builds closely and remember the finish being great.

The rear of the body is the worst part. First the mahogany itself isn't very nice, multi piece that isn't too asthetically pleasing. I drilled through the back when drilling between pup cavities (ha) and there was a few spots I had to grain fill which really pop out under stain.

Overall I just wasn't happy with it. I'll salvage the neck as I quite like it. I'll have to get my hands on some water based powdered dye in the mean time.

Thank you for the compliment. I remember reading that alcohol based dye is significantly more difficult to work with and some results were blotchy. I noticed that you have the flat sawn orientation on the top. I'll betcha even that has something to do with how the alcohol dye takes to the wood as well. Based on my research, it was water based for me all the way. I dealt with my own "discoveries" during the process as well, which I documented in my thread.

I can relate to the "meh" back woods thing. My multiscale's back wasn't a clear mahogany board and I didn't realize it until later. I was able to work one knot out of the side, but one has to stay. It's a lil pin head size knot, so it's no biggie.

My first guitar build sits abandoned stripped of hardware in favor of the Renk Signature Siren(Siren #2). The woods and finish were just...meh...so I stripped her and hung her. (morbid...)

I really can't wait to work with premium stock. That time should have come already, but I'm always playing it safe with mediocre wood. I just want to build something fkn MAJESTIC!

immortalx

Reaction score
I'll just repeat what the gentlemen above said. Please don't scrap this body, it will be perfectly fine with a solid color. My first build had become a guinea pig too!

pettymusic

Reaction score
Glad to see you keep learning and moving forward. It helps me to do the same when I make my own stupid mistakes. This is why I keep reading here and posting here. I will continue to post my own mistakes no matter how stupid or embarrassing they may be, hopefully, it will save others the heartache.

I just want to say keep it up, your first build proves you have excellent skills!

Just keep pressing on!! :yesway::yesway:

dankarghh

Reaction score
Hey everybody, quick bump here. I am in the process of making a new body for this guy and its looking good so far. But i have a problem (as usual).

since I already have a neck (with pre drilled screw holes), how can I go about transferring those holes to the body. The pocket it a bit different to the last body so I can't reliably base it off that. I tried putting a bit of stain over the holes in the neck and then pressing firmly into the pocket to see if it'd leave me outlines of the holes but it didn't work in the slightest :S

immortalx

Reaction score
Remember the coin rubbing trick we did as kids? Put a piece of paper over the neck heel and rub with a pencil. It will highlight the edges and holes of the neck. Cut that piece of paper and put it in the pocket. Perfect template :D

dankarghh

Reaction score
Remember the coin rubbing trick we did as kids? Put a piece of paper over the neck heel and rub with a pencil. It will highlight the edges and holes of the neck. Cut that piece of paper and put it in the pocket. Perfect template :D

Haha yes! I thought about this about 20 minutes ago and was like Duh.. Cheers man.

dankarghh

Reaction score
Did a bit of work on the new body. I can't find any ash filler locally which is pretty frustrating. Hoping for a matt acrylic finish.

Anyways, Pics. The neck pocket is the tightest i've come across, almost don't need screws kinda tight..
33l0zkn.jpg

rusopl.jpg

9lcs60.jpg

Last pic there looks a bit off, that's because binding channel has been routed, just so you know..

immortalx

Reaction score
Hey man, if you can't find an ash colored filler try z poxy finishing resin. It's transparent and easy to work

dankarghh

Reaction score
Hey man, if you can't find an ash colored filler try z poxy finishing resin. It's transparent and easy to work

Immortalx, thanks for putting me onto this stuff man. Got some right after you suggested and have been working with since. I love it.

Update so to confirm i am intact still alive. Shot of the side grain post poxy treatment:
300uxqp.jpg

Annnnnnddd today i shot primer for my matte black top. Have all the paint I need to finish this bad boy. Now I just need free time.

2wfij9j.jpg

2utnbt3.jpg

dankarghh

Reaction score
Spent a few hours at local luthiers today doing fret work. Got home and shot the black, it came out great. Now i just gotta do a final poxy coat on the rear of the body and shoot my clear.

Annnnd final shape and sand the neck. But still..

Picture is terrible, sorry..

2yvrt05.jpg

immortalx

Reaction score
Damn what a beauty :eek: You got some serious skills man, this is ultra clean work :yesway:

THB430

Reaction score
Looking Great!! Im looking forward to seeing this finished. Keep up the good work.
What is that peaking its head in the top left corner?

dankarghh

Reaction score
Thanks guys, hoping to have it done real soon. I'm shooting 2k matte urethane over the whole thing and need to test compatibility.

Top left is my first build my friend. The one in my avatar.

Also, how do you thank people? I want to do it everytime I open a thread.

jahosy

Reaction score
Looks fantastic mate! Where's this luthier shop cos I really sucked at fretting so might need some advice :)

dankarghh

Reaction score
Looks fantastic mate! Where's this luthier shop cos I really sucked at fretting so might need some advice :)

Thanks man. I'm up in north QLD so my local isn't really yours i'm afraid.. haha

He just has all the tools I can't justify buying. Makes it really easy when you have everything you need.

dankarghh

Reaction score
Hey all. Firstly, heres a little shot with hardware as i just got my hipshot in the mail.

97p6c2.jpg

BUT: real reason for this post is to enquire about these little dings. They aren't actually dings in the finish, and they weren't there before my epoxy treatment? I'm going to just sand back heavily and do one last epoxy treatment before shooting clear.

Any ideas?

o9oe41.jpg

')