Second build, Modern/BM/super strat

• Thread starter dankarghh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't really help with your question but I will just say that the black top with ash sides and back looks classy as f**k! Definitely original and it comes together really well!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

immortalx

Reaction score
Wow man, this is looking perfect and all I see about the dings you mentioned is just a little white-ish discoloration.

pettymusic

Reaction score
Dude! This looks frakin' awesome!!

I wish I had clue how to help with those dings but, unfortunately finishing is what I know the least about.

dankarghh

Reaction score
Wow man, this is looking perfect and all I see about the dings you mentioned is just a little white-ish discoloration.

Yeah, just little discolourations, theres a few of them though, around the sides of the body. sanding doesn't get rid of them so, oh well. :(

And thanks dudes for the compliments. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Hopefully spraying clear in a few days and i'm done! Except cavity and truss rod covers..

metaldoggie

Pro smeghead
Reaction score
Looking really neat!

If the discoloration is throughout the epoxy that would lead me to believe the crosslinker was not mixed in properly. If you can't get a good mix by hand then invest in a cheap drill bit mixer.

dankarghh

Reaction score
Little update, little boring.

Final clear coats happened today. Using a satin finish. First time using a spray gun, but I think i figured it out in the end. Probably should've test on some scrap first but, it worked in the end.

2vhu5ax.jpg

2wnwqxz.jpg

dankarghh

Reaction score
Okay, hardware installed and mostly setup. Can't find the right sized allen key to adjust the truss at the moment.. And as you can see, its missing a cavity cover. Excuse the crappy photos, will take more asap.

5umyah.jpg

2cxdvsh.jpg

rqwtp0.jpg

259d83d.jpg

String pull on the headstock looks dumb. It didn't even cross my mind at the time. Fixed on no3.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
The matte black on the devil tail headstock: OOF! Too good.

Also the string pull doesn't look too bad, the worst of it is probably on the D string but it should still be fine. Like you said, something to improve on the next one! As long as you learn something then it is always a worthwhile experience.

StarbardGuitar

SS.org Decaf
Reaction score
I love the look of that matte black with the natural ash back, nice work! Classy as f**k. Also, the string pull doesn't look too bad, though you're right that you learn as you go and you will consider it in the next design. I like to draw all of my ideas out full size first before starting to build- I even draw strings on it - because that way you can see how everything will look before starting the build.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
I'm just echoing everybody else, but that matte black top looks sooo good! :yesway:

jahosy

Reaction score
Congrats mate! Looks immaculate!

String pull looks fine as long as the tuners are not obstructing. Doesn't have to be a dead straight pull, right?

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Dude. DUDE. The contrast between the top and the back/sides is classy as .....

Would rape daily. Between your first two builds I seriously can't wait to see what you do for #3. This turned out so friggin badASS.

dankarghh

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I'm currently supergluing my nut at the low E. I get buzz accross the board and action seems fine. I might have gone overboard with the slotting.

EDIT:Fixed.

Don't listen to stewmacs guide re:hipshot bridge placement. Can't intonate it in drop A perfectly. It's a tiny bit sharp - Ideas???

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
Looks awesome now it's all together! Great build :D Looks mean, And I didn't think I would. But I LOVE that black top & Headstock!

Hywel

Reaction score
Don't listen to stewmacs guide re:hipshot bridge placement. Can't intonate it in drop A perfectly. It's a tiny bit sharp - Ideas???
Hipshot make a shorter saddle you can swap in (lowest strings on the photo below) that should hopefully give you the length you need. Send them an email and I'm sure they'll sort you out. Awesome build either way! :yesway:

431770TelerikWebUIWebResource.jpg

')