Seeking Advice For First build

• Thread starter Andrew91
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've wanted to take luthiery courses for a couple years now, but I don't have much woodworking experience as of yet. I took shop class in middle school, but everyone does that. Today I decided to make a full scale drawing of my ideal guitar. So I did, then took it a step further, and cut out the shape on some old chip board I found in my basement. The shape is pretty much RG meets Mayones Regius.

As a complete noob, only having researched the process, and lurked on these forums for the last couple years, I have some questions.

1: Would I be insane for trying a 7 string on my first build?
2: Would it be unadvisable to attempt a body nearly as thin as an S series Ibanez?
3: I also had the idea for a poplar burl or spalted maple (etc) top. Would it be better to just do a plain finish, since those have little room for error?

Yes, I realize the template I made is horrendously carved, but, I did so in a rush, which led to me eventually just tear a straight line across rather than finish the neck pocket. Also, it's not really going to be used as a template, it was just an idea I wanted to get onto something as fast as possible.

Thoughts, advice, feedback? Anything is appreciated!

Woot first post!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    920.5 KB · Views: 32

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
My phone doesn't like the attachment system :s

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 38

Walterson

Reaction score
First advice: Don't do ANYTHING in a rush!

and please don't use expensive wood for a first build, try something simple and focus on build quality and details...

Reaction score
Of course, a rush would definitely not be good for an actual instrument. The wood I used to make that, by its nature, chipped away and did not handle being curved we. As for expensive woods, I think I'm going to go with basswood, with a nice top if I feel comfortable in doing so. I want to create the very best instrument I can with what I have avaliable.

Another question:
5 piece ply neck: maple-wenge-mahogany-wenge-maple..
Am I being too crazy with my ideas? I'm not sure that doing a multi-laminate neck would be doable, especially with pricier woods.

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
1. Not at all, lots of poeple do 7's as their first build. The process is the same, just with one more string.

2. Nope, go for it.

3. Burls/spalts are extremely tricky to work with for a begginer. I'd suggest using a simple flame or quilt instead, if you insist on having a top wood. Not trying to discouraging, but your first build(s) is going to have a lot of screw-ups and imperfections, try to keep it as simple as possible.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Heres what I HIGHLY suggest you do.

1) Go cheap... Not because its "Easier", but simply because if you mess up (you will), it wont be painful on the pocket. Stick to softer woods like basswood or poplar for your first time effort. I would also stick to domestic woods for your first time neck effort. This means maple, walnut, ash, etc.

2) spend the time and get templates and jigs made up. These are not only time savers, but also drastically increase the quality of your work

3) you need to have the right tools. tools I would consider MANDATORY to get quality work done-> planer/jointer, bandsaw, PIPE CLAMPS (!!!!), a good router, GOOD drill/router bits (spend the money!), and a drill guide. If you can get your hands on a legit planer, rotary sander, drill press, etc do it, but those are merely time savers really.

4) go on youtube and watch how to vids!

I have wood I just won't touch until my skill level drastically improves, it just makes sense to go cheaper for your first couple builds until you get comfy with the process. When you're ready to make a kickass guitar, you will know it :D

Walterson

Reaction score
I have wood I just won't touch until my skill level drastically improves, it just makes sense to go cheaper for your first couple builds until you get comfy with the process. When you're ready to make a kickass guitar, you will know it :D

I don't think you need expensive woods to build a kickass guitar.....

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think you need expensive woods to build a kickass guitar.....

Of course not, some of the best guitars in the business are basswood bodies with maple necks! However, using expensive woods should really be left for when you feel truly comfortable using them to their fullest extent, no?

I wont be using this until Im GOOD AND READY :D

dscf0214j.jpg

immortalx

Reaction score
To add to the list: Go cheap on woods but NOT on parts! Even if you don't get what you expect from your first build, your next ones will definitely be better and you can use those parts there.

@bob. Man that piece is crazy!

OfArtAndArsenal

Reaction score
484423_10100496130133397_321684349_n.jpg

That's how I feel about this top. Glued it together 6 months ago and won't touch it until I'm sure I won't ruin it.

Reaction score
Hipshot bridge and nice 500k electronics and schaler tuners and whatnot?
Also, that top would be amazing.
I figured a decent plan would to be to use the cheapest tone wood plywood at the store I can, carve a couple complete bodies, build a neck from a maple 2x4 or something, assemble them both and have some firewood if they don't turn out as expected. I'll get the experience of building a guitar without the risk. I just have to remember it's a learning experience and to take it as seriously as if someone offered me $3k to just build them a guitar.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, if you dont mind using multiple peices for a first build, go to home depot, you can get wood that will be decent for a start (maple, oak and poplar).

Id say skip the plywood, as its much more expensive then getting the raw stock haha.

OfArtAndArsenal

Reaction score
I'd recommend against the idea that no price is too low...Plywood will give you roughly the same results that you got from that chipboard. You want actual wood do you get a feel for what you're doing. You could practice on a bar of soap too, but that's not going to help either.
I'm in the same boat as you though, looking for practice wood. I'm going to start with ash (unless someone stops me) since its nice and cheap and won't feel like "training wood".

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
I'd recommend against the idea that no price is too low...Plywood will give you roughly the same results that you got from that chipboard. You want actual wood do you get a feel for what you're doing. You could practice on a bar of soap too, but that's not going to help either.
I'm in the same boat as you though, looking for practice wood. I'm going to start with ash (unless someone stops me) since its nice and cheap and won't feel like "training wood".

Only reason I suggest against ash is my recent endeavors into it... its SUCH a pain in the ass to work...

bob123

Banned
Reaction score

See thats what I dont get about it, I have MUCH harder woods (brazilian koa, jatoba, wenge), but they were relatively easy to cut and shape, just took time. Ash has given me more headaches lately then the others, and it may be because its such an open grain wood. It was just a pain, I dont see myself using it much more in the future.

Mr Wright

Reaction score
I see you're from Beckley! nice. I was in Parkersburg a couple weeks back and the Woodcraft store up there has a decent selection of exotic hardwoods. I know its a haul, but if you can find an excuse to get up that way the Woodcraft store is worth stopping. There used to be some hardwood places in South Charleston but they're gone now.

Reaction score
I've never really been in the northern part of this state.
I found a site that's 4.57 for maple per foot, not that bad, I think.
Woods that aren't too hard to work but not too soft?

Gregori

Reaction score
I've never really been in the northern part of this state.
I found a site that's 4.57 for maple per foot, not that bad, I think.
Woods that aren't too hard to work but not too soft?

$4.57 per bf isn't bad. I'd find out what their wood is dried to before buying it. And make sure it's hard maple, not soft maple. Also, I wouldn't use anything but quartersawn for a neck.

Latest posts

')