Seeking good .080 bottom string for 30in scale D

• Thread starter Andii
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
I'm using an .080 which seems to be good tension for me. I have everything about my tone and instrument nailed down except the lowest string.

I'm getting a little erratic behavior from it. Open it seems to sound a little thin, because of an overbearing overtone, like a piano overtone. Sometimes I can give the string a good stretch and it goes away for a while. It's a strange problem that's no doubt unique to extremely long scale instruments. This is something that's happening at the acoustic stage. I can hear the problem unplugged.

I'm using a neck thru hardtail with a string through body.

I've tried the ernie ball guitar version and the bass version with the huge ferrule on it. The bass version seems to be better. It could be a different core or formula, or just a different ferrule and pure chance.

Ya!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
la bella makes really good strings imo. Their thicker winds are the best I've found.

Andii

Reaction score

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Also consider Stringjoy. Really enjoying their strings on my Agile 8 right now.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
They're from Nashville!

I really like the .080 in the Daddario NYXLs; for my 8 string I order the 10-4BT set with .060 and .080 singles, from Strings And Beyond. You can order all sorts of singles there, as well.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I looked at them a few times but couldn't decide what gauges to go with; what are you using?
A custom set with a 0.090 for my Low E. I essentially ripped off the gauges from the Strandberg balanced tension set for their 8 strings and made the 8th string bigger.

https://strandbergguitars.com/product/strandberg-optimized-tension-strings-for-boden-8-5-sets/

Works great on my 28.625 - 25.5" multiscale. According to a tension calculator it gives me a nice gradual tension from about 13 - 19.5 lbs. Still having some minor issues with fret buzz here and there, just need a little bit more adjusting on action probably. Otherwise, the strings sound great and I'm very pleased.

They're also a fairly small company, and they include handwritten thank you notes with your orders. And when I asked a couple questions about the strings over email, they usually respond within 24 hours and they're always friendly and helpful.

Last edited:

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
That looks good. And only $8 for 2 to my door. I'll add those to the pile of ones to try.

I had never even heard of them. The name sounds like some some kinky adult toy I've never heard of.
:lol:

You can bet if they send me adult toys with my strings next time that will end up posted here with the quickness.

Andii

Reaction score
I'm definitely going to try the stringjoy for the .080. I'm looking to keep using Ernie Ball for the other 7 strings because the tone is exactly what I like.... I mean exact. The weird overtone may be something that a different string may not solve, but I have to keep trying just to see.

The NYXLs are pricey and they are really vague about exactly what they are supposed to be. They say something about high carbon tempered steel cores, but that's what they've all been made of since the beginning. And if their claims of increased output and change in sound is true I would have to get the whole overpriced set to match the bottom string.

Benny Boy

Reaction score
Probably a bit late to the party but Strings By Mail sourced me some single .85 GHS Boomers, which they usually only offer in sets. They're plenty long enough (I have to trim them for my 28" Schecter) and I'm sure they would do the same for the .80. Price, customer service and shipping (even to the UK) were all awesome.

I use Kalium for the bulk of my strings but their customer service has been appalling, and they modified the ball end winding on the larger gauges which makes them useless in my C8.

')